What's the truth about headers?

TTipe

Snake Skinner
Jul 25, 2008
New Hudson Michigan
I’m running stock headers going 10.0s. I believe stock headers have been deep in the 9s. Spend your money elsewhere. Only down side is stock headers tend to crack but once you fix that you should be good. Also nothing fits like stock. So take that into consideration. I seen people complain about fit issues with ta headers, gn1 headers and even hooker headers. Also my combo is in my signature.
Stock headers have "winking" at the runner to log weld (particularly on the drivers side # 3 & 5). I have cut doors in the manifolds on the back side for cutter access. Be cautious about not removing weld material. I have also seen winking on the passenger side header. This is free torque & improved spool.

Reactions: DARTHV6

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
Jan 11, 2009
SoCal the high desert
A customer I’m build a motor for brought these headers for his build . I believe they are the old school postens . They are ceramic coated and look really nice . They resemble stock headers. He said he found them at a garage sell and got them for $40 or something cheap like that . Score !!!

Attachments

chris romani

Jun 9, 2013
Rockland County N.Y
A customer I’m build a motor for brought these headers for his build . I believe they are the old school postens . They are ceramic coated and look really nice . They resemble stock headers. He said he found them at a garage sell and got them for $40 or something cheap like that . Score !!!
Damn that’s a hell of a score I paid almost 800 for a set of TA’s

notacarlo

eggs are liquid chicken
Jan 7, 2004
Mystic, CT
it seems like the engineers at GM knew what they were doing in many aspects of this before its time motor the short exhaust manifolds are a perfect example they help build the proper exhaust pressure required for the specked turbo which is key in spool up , the proper flow before the exhaust is key and after that get it out of there

The engineers at Buick knew what they were doing.

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
Dec 10, 2014
Westchester NY
The engineers at Buick knew what they were doing.
Maybe, or maybe not.

I think they may have built them to be only as big as needed and to go from point A to point B. Then by default, they ended up having less volume and loose less heat and energy along the way.

Results........A good header that does the job.

But they obviously didn't consult with a metallurgist or structural engineer. Or even an amateur fabricator.

I know less about header fabrication than I do about quantum physics. And the set I built 15 years are still holding up. Maybe I got luckier than they did?

TTipe

Snake Skinner
Jul 25, 2008
New Hudson Michigan
Maybe, or maybe not.

I think they may have built them to be only as big as needed and to go from point A to point B. Then by default, they ended up having less volume and loose less heat and energy along the way.

Results........A good header that does the job.

But they obviously didn't consult with a metallurgist or structural engineer. Or even an amateur fabricator.

I know less about header fabrication than I do about quantum physics. And the set I built 15 years are still holding up. Maybe I got luckier than they did?
Smokin' Deal!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Jan 5, 2004
Elberon,Va
Ok, I don’t SEE any cracks. (Bare with me, I’m going on post 20 years ago) I’m just getting back into it. Alway heard it was always the passenger side and sometimes you could hear it but not see it. I don’t see hear either but I’ve never done anything special with my downpipe or crossover. I was thinking while I’m building this 2nd motor I would go new and not worry? But these look in good shape. What can I coat them with and should I get new gaskets? They look pretty good too. I may PM you for the DP and crossover info if you don’t mind.

Art
Art get a set of Ta stock replacement headers and don't look back.

Reactions: DARTHV6 and gn87man

captndave737

Feb 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
My stock headers cracked on the drivers side many times. My Poston headers cracked on the drivers side several times. I also had to have my Poston header flanges machined because they were not even close to being flat. I never has a crack on the passenger side.

I currently have TA headers. So far so good but they only have a few thousand miles on them.

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
Stock headers can make power,problem is besides the cracking the flanges are not thick enough to mill over and over again and they warp.if it happens from heat cycles or Back pressure or temps I'm not completely sure but this will happen and when I does the come off quite a bit and dont seal right.i noticed this on a 138+mph 1/4 full weight gn.now I'm running the ta race headers and they have much thicker flanges and a better design if you really want to start getting into bigger turbos while still spooling them up fast.i have seen no cracking and they dont come off the car for any reason.in general with headers the size of the primary's will have an effect of turbo response as will the ex housing.

Julian Data

Jul 14, 2016
I ran hookers back in the 90s. I also had a 2800 l/u stall. I got tired of the driver's crack.

I didn't think the bottom end was soft. Heck, big turbos make bottom end soft too...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk