You can type here any text you want

Wheel Stud replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xtremexnyc

Hello All,

Anyone have a write up on how to replace wheel studs? Need to replace the fronts and rears with longer ones. Can they be done on the car? Any tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i replaced the rears recently
i simply removed the rear axles(good time for a rear diff drain and fill)
used a hammer to pound the old ones out
pushed the new stud in the axle and gave a few taps on the backside to keep it there
slid a socket over the new stud
then used the washer that goes with the lugnut (find one you can sacrifice cause it will get tore up) and used impact to pull the lugnut back into the axle

-i hope this helps
ps why the fronts?
usually not needed
just get open ended lugnuts for the rear and covered for the front
ill put up some pics tonight

-dan

Just did them on my GN and pulled the axles. BUT I have a Ford 9" rear so don't know if you can on the factory rear. Little easier to pull the axles on a Ford rear.

Put the axle flange on the edge of my workbench and pounded out the studs with a 5 lb sledge. Pretty much came out with one hit on each stud. Front rotors were laid flat on the bench and same thing.

Put the new ones in and used a large flat ended punch and hammered them in. I know! Not the "correct" way but as long as the flange is supported on the edge of the bench it isn't like you are wailing away on the end of the flange. Same thing with the rotors, made sure the rotor was supported on the end of the bench.

Some pull them in on the car with some washers and nuts but never had great luck doing it that way.

I haven't done the rears but Im pretty sure everyone else has nailed it. The fronts - you might be able to do them with the rotors on the car. If you still have the dust covers on then the only way you will be able to get to them is going through the notched areas on the dust cover, rearmost point by the calipers. You will have to spin the wheel to get the holes to line up with those notches and I think you may be able to slide the studs through.

I did the backs without removing the axles - just pounded out the old studs and used an impact gun to pull the new studs in.

I am thinking you are probably going the GTA route. You could simply get a 1 inch billet adapter with the studs from ebay for about $55. Use the billet adapter on the front with the GTA rear wheels. Use the front GTA wheels in the rear with a 5/16 or 1/8 spacer and go with 245/50/16 tires all around. No problem and no rubbing. THis would also work if you have 4 rear GTA wheels.

CHEVY 5X4.75 WHEEL ADAPTERS ADAPTER SPACERS 1.00" 2PC:eBay Motors (item 160377526176 end time Nov-21-09 16:03:49 PST)

Buy the stud installer/remover kit from carquest/autozone ( $15+/- ) and it will make your life so much easier. I just put the studs in my new moser axles and it saved alot of headaches & cursing.

I did the backs without removing the axles - just pounded out the old studs and used an impact gun to pull the new studs in.

got any pics? im guessing your studs must not be much longer
i absolutely had to pull my axles to do this
my studs were way long!!!
-dan

I don't have picks but they were way longer than stock. I could no longer use the stock lugnuts with the GN wheels. There is one area behind the drum that you can sneak the stud in from.

what size and length studs do you use? I can measure the length I need tomorrow but not sure of the general dimensions??

Buy the stud installer/remover kit from carquest/autozone ( $15+/- ) and it will make your life so much easier. I just put the studs in my new moser axles and it saved alot of headaches & cursing.

I haven’t seen the $15 remover/installer; but that sounds like a deal.

I’m not a fan of the “beat it out with a hammer” method.

Having a 30 ton press sure makes life easy.

Back