You can type here any text you want

Wheel well molding removal??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XFactor

Are the rear wheel well moldings normally screwed in place or riveted?? Tried to remove mine today and replace it with a NOS one and after a few unsuccessful, frustrating attempts with a phillips head, I noticed that they weren't screws but rivets :mad: . Just to make sure I tried to feel for the typical phillips head point coming thru on the underside but there were no threads.

How do I remove these rivets so I can put my new molding on??
I don't have a rivet gun either (not the most common tool)

Hmm mine had screws. I took them off when the car was painted and never replaced them. I kind of like that look.:cool: Just drill out the center of the rivet with a bit a little bigger then the hole in the rivet. You can get a rivet gun at autozone for cheap, prolly under $20.

They are actually self tapping philips head screws with only enough thread to get through the wheel lip. Unfortunately they really rust into place and you'll have to soak them with penetrating oil from behind to even have a chance at getting them out. Good Luck its a nasty job...

If someone did rivet them on, just take an 1/8" drill bit and drill through the center of them to remove them. Then just get philips head screws of appropriate size to re-attach your new mouldings.

Back