You can type here any text you want

When to change timing chain assembly?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

El Corvino

I know the factory assembly is garbage and in time, the plastic teeth fail causing potentially catastrophic failure.

IMG_7125.jpg

That said, I took preventative measure and purchased the Melling timing chain assembly. But I have a feeling if I have to pay for the front end to be ripped off the motor for this to be installed... it's going to turn into my El Camino with a corvette motor build all over again. (If the front is off, why not put in a bigger cam, why not port... etc. $$$ Thousands later$$$)

IMG_7082.jpg

So essentially, I'm asking when? or at how many miles? Should this be installed, or is this similar to what we call in the medical field, prophylactic treatment (get it done ASAP to prevent any issue from occurring)?

Not sure if this would alter my timeline for replacement, but my 87 GN also has a built tranny with an aggressive shift kit, T60 turbo, 42.5 lb injectors (with 60 lb en route), etc.

I know the factory assembly is garbage and in time, the plastic teeth fail causing potentially catastrophic failure.

IMG_7125.jpg

That said, I took preventative measure and purchased the Melling timing chain assembly. But I have a feeling if I have to pay for the front end to be ripped off the motor for this to be installed... it's going to turn into my El Camino with a corvette motor build all over again. (If the front is off, why not put in a bigger cam, why not port... etc. $$$ Thousands later$$$)

IMG_7082.jpg

So essentially, I'm asking when? or at how many miles? Should this be installed, or is this similar to what we call in the medical field, prophylactic treatment (get it done ASAP to prevent any issue from occurring)?

In my opinion, change out the original factory gears and chain.
Not sure how many miles you have on the car, but after almost 30 years I bet it's overdue.
In addition to the miles that can wear these out, heat also plays a significant role in making the teeth brittle.
If any modifications have been done to the valve train (heavier springs or higher lift cam) these also tax the stock chain, so it would be wise to change over before you end up with bigger problems and are forced to do an engine rebuild = too much $ that could have been prevented.

It's not that hard to do. Take your time.

Interesting front cover gasket with the rubberized areas on it.
Would be interested to find out what make and part number this is?
Where would one purchase this.

Thanks,
dave

I took the first picture from online, the second picture is of my part. The original motor was ripped to shreds. It was replaced in 2006 with a factory create motor which currently has about 8,000 miles on it.

Back