When you..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
have nothing better to do, you make "stuff"!:smuggrin:
Looked at several options for mounting the 3 gauges I have. [Speedhut].
The pillar mt for $50 was a :poop:.
The under radio was not a good place to have to look @ 100mph.:jawdrop:
I settled on the rt side of the dash bezel.
Here's a couple shots of the mount.
It's 18ga sheet metal, laser cut front face, tig welded on the edge. It's retained in place w/ a 1+" tab, tigged to the upper left side of the box. I just loosened the dash surround, slid it in place, tightened the screws. I painted it w/ a spray bomb of etch prime and Presidio gray.
The light is the ALKY Control indicator LED.

Dash ga holder 001.jpg
Dash ga holder 003.jpg
Dash ga holder 002.jpg
Dash ga holder 004.jpg

Last edited:
have nothing better to do, you make "stuff"!:smuggrin:
Looked at several options for mounting the 3 gauges I have. [Speedhut].
The pillar mt for $50 was a :poop:.
The under radio was not a good place to have to look @ 100mph.:jawdrop:

I settled on the rt side of the dash bezel.
Here's a couple shots of the mount.
It's 18ga sheet metal, laser cut front face, tig welded on the edge. It's retained in place w/ a 1+" tab, tigged to the upper left side of the box. I just loosened the dash surround, slid it in place, tightened the screws. I painted it w/ a spray bomb of etch prime and Presidio gray.
The light is the ALKY Control indicator LED.

View attachment 269961 View attachment 269962 View attachment 269963 View attachment 269964

Hey chuck...was wondering how u got ur defogger switch to illuminate blue???? My GN has a blue bulb but ONLY the orange one turns on when you turn on the defogger...how do u get the blue to turn on???

Hey chuck...was wondering how u got ur defogger switch to illuminate blue???? My GN has a blue bulb but ONLY the orange one turns on when you turn on the defogger...how do u get the blue to turn on???

I've done nothing to the sw... that's the way it was when I got the car. Didn't think it was blue.

Looks great Chuck! Good paint match too. Seeing your original radio reminds me that I want to reinstall mine and take out the aftermarket unit.

Hot enough for you there in Madison? Brutal humidity here in Macon.

Hey Evans!
Yep hot "nuf"!! 97 today, and 101 in the open sunlite. Humidity not good, either.. Oh well, summer in GA!
Been doing it since 1973...Guess I'll make it, ok.
I got that radio from a bd member that goes thru them, and resells them. I also have 1 that has the Blutooth plug put into it. It doesn't have the tape player.

Chuck looks like you need one of those Flatpods for your scanmaster. Nice peace chuck.

Chuck looks like you need one of those Flatpods for your scanmaster. Nice peace chuck.

The "next generation" will have:
Curved back to better fit the dash.
Top "rolled over to fit the top curve of the dash, w/ a flat top for the SM.
That's IF I get some time off from my part time job!:D

Nice work Chuck! But.... GNS has been producing and selling such a device for quite some time now.

DSC_0262.JPG

And a more recent photo with my new Scanmaster gauge.

cf58d9033a7c8d1642c49826d07c7555.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

And a more recent photo with my new Scanmaster gauge.

cf58d9033a7c8d1642c49826d07c7555.jpg

Chuck's looks way better imo. I am a fabricator. The personal satisfaction that comes with the process of designing and fabrication of a one off custom part is something you can't buy!! The GNS one doesn't compare to Chuck's. Not much time went into the design. The intention was to have a factory look but the outcome is an awkward ill fitting piece. Nothing personal as I know lots of guys have that same one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck's looks way better imo. I am a fabricator. The personal satisfaction that comes with the process of designing and fabrication of a one off custom part is something you can't buy!! The GNS one doesn't compare to Chuck's. Not much time went into the design. The intention was to have a factory look but the outcome is an awkward ill fitting piece. Nothing personal as I know lots of guys have that same one.

I'm not sure how you define ill fitting but it fits the dash contour behind it perfectly, and the color match is near perfect. That and the French stitching that matches that of the factory dash.

I didn't mean to offend. Sorry if I did. The top right corner should be more rounded and the bottom right should match up better with the stereo surround. It's always easier for the manufacturer to make a square box and cover it. It's just personal preference. I like Chucks. It's a custom piece that is functional and a nice contrast.