You can type here any text you want

where can i buy a cork gasket for the oil pan ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
are you gonna replace it?i think i need to do mine...

i hear you can just unbolt the motor mount, jack the motor up enough to put 2x4 between the motor and the mounts (engine parts should all clear the firewall), and this will give you enough room underneath to access all the oil pan bolts and replace the gasket.... is that correct? let me know how tough this job turns out!

j13smiley said:
are you gonna replace it?i think i need to do mine...

i hear you can just unbolt the motor mount, jack the motor up enough to put 2x4 between the motor and the mounts (engine parts should all clear the firewall), and this will give you enough room underneath to access all the oil pan bolts and replace the gasket.... is that correct? let me know how tough this job turns out!
Yep that is correct. Pull the bolts out of both motor mounts and jack up the motor as high as you can without the coil pack hitting the firewall or the IC scoop getting too bent up and the pan will drop right out as long as you have the front counter weight on the crank shaft up.
The hardest part is getting the pan baffles around the oil pickup tube.
The rear of the pan will almost scrape the fly wheel hard enough to put good gashes in the sealing surface to get it around the pickup so be careful there. (yes, the flywheel/convertor cover has to come off and the crossover pipe.)

2QUIK6 said:
Yep that is correct. Pull the bolts out of both motor mounts and jack up the motor as high as you can without the coil pack hitting the firewall or the IC scoop getting too bent up and the pan will drop right out as long as you have the front counter weight on the crank shaft up.
The hardest part is getting the pan baffles around the oil pickup tube.
The rear of the pan will almost scrape the fly wheel hard enough to put good gashes in the sealing surface to get it around the pickup so be careful there. (yes, the flywheel/convertor cover has to come off and the crossover pipe.)

I just unbloted the pickup tube and dropped it in the pan when I pulled the pan. Then i could clean the pickup tube easier too.

FWIW

davege said:
Why use the cork compared to the GM rubber gasket?

- Dave
Do a search on here and you'll find loads of posts about this...but the jest of it is a lot of folks have problems with the rubber ones leaking and prefer the think cork ones. I've used the rubber one one both my Buick powered cars and haven't had a problem after about 1 year now.

PICT0008.JPG

im using the gasket from RJC that goes with my new pan. I dont see this thing leaking in the future, very well designed

[PaCemkr86]
im using the gasket from RJC that goes with my new pan. I dont see this thing leaking in the future, very well designed
What's up with the oil pan? I see that this is a Buick motor but it still looks like the pan will be very close to the road. As far as the cork versus the rubber 1. The rubber is available locally. 2. I've never had a rubber gasket leak.

Back