Where to start - is there a list for newbies

T66Typhoon

SUV Pimp
Well today I bought a bone stock '87 GN and it has been well maintained by the original owner. The car has 186,800 on it and he has all the maintenance records.

I bought it really cheap and am looking at where to start.

The car drives great... when you stand on it, it shows the classic burned out convertor overboost, at least that is what it usually is on a SyTy..

Is there a list of where to start... I already have a boost gage for it.

I am planning on doing:
1. AFPR
2. Ron G Fuel Pump
3. Basic tune up
4. A set of 40# (38?) injectors

On the SyTy site there is a guide for newbies, is there a similar one here.. I have been seeing all of the info about the translator/LS1/extender stuff.. is this a place to start? I have been reading around on the forum all day.... lots of good info.

I am not looking to build a race car.. just get rid of the overboost and make a good driver, maybe a bigger turbo once I get the problems worked out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OK, here is your homework assignment...

Go to this web site: http://www.gnttype.org/

Read everything under the "Resources" pull-down menu at the top of the page.

There will be a quiz tomorrow :D

Seriously, the GNTTYPE site is a very good place for beginners to learn more about their cars. Everything from historical facts and figures to "recipes" for modifying you car.

Welcome!

Go to gnttype.org and read up over there. You should find a guide for Spring cleaning. Follow this and then adjust the TPS and IAC. This should give you baseline of how the car is running. It would be best to get a scan tool, I suggest a scanmaster to start and learn your car.

Dannyo

Make sure the vacuum line and all lines for that matter, are good.
I recently bought a Turbo T it also overboosted bad.The line to
the wastegate solenoid was off. I just put new lines on it and it runs great:D

Man.. thanks.. that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

The maintenance part is what I was concerned with.

Once I get that stuff I will be trying to correct the over boosting.

Thanks again.

I will follow the "spring cleaning" thing and check all of the vacuum lines this weekend if I have time.

I am hoping all of the transmission parts come the Typhoon... that project needs to be completed first.

Thanks for the assistance so far.... lots to do to clean it up too.

Nick