Where to Start with Accel Gen 7??

SuprJames

I have Accel's Gen 7 software and computer running sequential fuel injection on a stroked 350 (383). I installed everything myself and the car cranks and runs great. I've done some minor adjustments to the fuel ratio and volumetric efficiency tables, but having never dealt with fuel injection, I'm really struggling figuring out exactly what effects what and where to start. I think I have all the initial settings pretty much right, but the tables are still a bit of a mystery to me. I know how to use them, just not sure what to do with them.

Right now my knock sensor is kicking in when the engine is under a heavy load (I nail the throttle) at around 2,600 RPM's. What is the best way to take car of this? I know I need to cut down the advance, but I'm not sure if I should change the inital advance at the distrbutor or the base advance in the computer.

The EMIC I've been talking to is alright, but I swear sometimes I know more than he does. A guy down at Accel DFI (Mike) has been very helpful over the phone and has taken care of some minor problems I've had (not getting all the parts I ordered, a short in their wiring harness, missing instructions, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Here are the stats on my car:
82' Vette (no Buick......but at least it's GM :D )
383 Stroker
Calmap Gen 7 Engine Management
Dual Spal Electric Fans
Accel SuperRam Intake
Accel Dual Sync Distributor
Accel HEI
10.3:1 compression
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
2.87:1 rear end (just went to 3.55....haven't even with new gears yet)
218/218 duration and .525/.525 lift Accel cam
1.5 roller rockers
4L60 transmision (no "E")

For pics and a little more info:
http://speed.supercars.net/Board?viewThread=y&fID=1&tID=34147&mID=635049#635049

Re: Where to Start

Originally posted by SuprJames
A guy down at Accel DFI (Mike) has been very helpful over the phone and has taken care of some minor problems I've had (not getting all the parts I ordered, a short in their wiring harness, missing instructions, etc.).
=========================================

Did you buy this new or used? If new, what vendor fouled your order up? Let us know so we can buy elsewhere.
=========================================

Have you looked at the entire list of EMICs in your area? Like anything else, the ones that sell the most know the most, usually.

Are you running the new Gen 7+ ? Can you download the CALMAP Instructions?

Lonnie Diers in Cincinnati also recently installed one for the first time & he posted about how very straightforward, simple, & successful everything went, and like me, had no prior experience.

I'm betting you'll get your initial questions answered quickly here.

HTH :)

Baught everything new. The vendor was a guy named Richie from Tampa (can't remember the name of the shop). Apparently he is pretty close to the people at Accel DFI because they recommended him out of everyone else in the area. I don't think he was the one that screwed up our order though. We ordered everything at once (the SuperRam intake, computer, software, wiring harness, distributor, etc.) and I went to pick it up at his shop. There were two large boxes with a ton of little boxes inside. He said that he had opened the boxes to make sure everything was there. When I got home there were some things missing (like the software!!), but we called him and he got us everything we were missing. The order as so large and the things missing so small that I can understand how he would've overlooked that things were missing. There was also quite a bit of paperwork (lots of instructions) missing, but all that was straightened out as well. The biggest problem laid with the SuperRam intake's instructions. They were for the previous Calmap version so most of the wires in our harness did not match the instructions. There were no instructions for the harness yat the time. Mike at DFI helped us figre all that out.

The whole experience really went very well considering my lack of knowledge about fuel injection. The most frustrating thing was a short in a wiring harness. Once that was found everything else that went wrong was due to our (my father and I) own stupidity. I thought the instructions provided by Accel were great up until you cranked the engine. After that you're pretty much on your own (with the exception of their technical support staff which can be hard to reach at times). Richie (the EMIC) was helpful in many aspects, but there were some things I felt more comfortable asking the guys at DFI.

I have Calmap 7.0 Standard (not pro) version. I'll get the pro version for my next project :cool:

Forgot To Say: "WELCOME"

One of our several very own resident "ECM Wizards" by the name of "aDFIguy" will likely see your Qs & respond soon.

Congratulations for your VERY fine project & welcome to the board! You & your Dad sound like a good team!

HTH :)

PS: Gen 7+ is the newest (just released in February) version of Gen 7.

Thanks!! I had no idea they had released a new version of Calmap. I'll have to check that out.

Congrats on getting everything up and running... If you've never done it before, it can be a little tricky at first. Now the fun really begins.

About the knock, you need to find out exactly where, in your Base Timing Map, that you are experiencing the knock. Then adjust the table accordingly in only those areas. Leave the distributor alone. Try loading your timing map (press the F3 key) and using the trace function (turned on/off by pressing the 'T' key -- you may have to download the newer software for this feature). You can also use the data logger to help you with this. Configure it to log Engine Speed, MAP, Base Advance, Knock Retard...etc. Then adjust your timing map based on the amount of knock retard that you saw while logging the data.

Remember that when using the CalMap interface software, you can press the F1 key for help from ANYWHERE in the program. This may help explain some of the tables a little bit. Pressing CTRL-F1 will bring up a list of drawings, schematics, and wiring diagrams.

Don't be afraid to call your dealer, or the DFI tech line, that is what they are there for. They won't teach you how to tune, but they will answer specific questions that you may run into.

Download the latest software here.

Thanks DFIguy. Seems simple enough. I'll give that a try Friday morning and post how it went. I already have the knock logged with the variables you stated, so I should be able to adjust that without too much of a problem. I didn't know about the trace function. I'll have to give that a try.

I downloaded the new software last night (Gen VII+). It dosen't look much different, but I like the logging and table chart options more than the version I have. Also like that it has all the commands below the tables. Very nice. I can't use this software with my current ECM can I? Do you think it would be worth upgrading?

Two more questions and then I'll stop bugging everyone. What tells the computer where you set the initial advance? I'm a bit confused about this, because I just don't remember entering the inital advance into the computer. Second is, if the computer can advance the timing, then what is the point in setting an intial advance? Why not just leave it at TDC and let the computer do the advancing? This is probably a dumb question, but I am curious.

When you sync up the timing, you need to force timing on the main screen to a safe number, say 10*. Once the distributor is positioned proplerly and the balancer is reading 10*, unforce the timing. Now it is running off the timing map. There is no need to set any advance on the distributor. If you want more timing, add it in your timing map.

Alright, I did that. Started at 25 degrees advance(which was what was recommended in the distributor instructions), forced the timing to 25, revved the car to 2,000 RPM's, checked the advance with a light, and then locked down the distributor. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks 50bucket.

John, thanks for the name. I'll give him a ring if I run into any problems that my EMIC can't help me with.

Job is the man with the Gen 7 stuff.
One of his customers has gone 6.4 @ ~220
with this unit.

First, let me say thanks to all those who replied with advice. I went from a 2.87 to a 3.55 rear end and that by itself eliminated the majority of the knocking. I eliminated the rest by retarding the spark in the base advance table. Now my biggest problem is keeping the tires from spinning....which is a problem I don't mind too much!:D Hopefully get to the track sometime in the next couple weeks.

Other than a slight loping in the idle (jumps around about 150 RPM's sometimes) I'm seriously happy with the way the car is running.

Now what is the best way to get my fuel optimized with Calmap Gen. 7?

Damn, that must suck dude that all you can do is peel the tires off..hahaha...Glad to hear you are making some progress...As far as fuel, I would think you need to experiment with where the car likes to run. Not everything runs the best at 14.7:1...Keep in mind there is a A/F table there that does play a key factor, whether you are using a linear 02 or not. Once you get the Ve table dialed in, and feel you need to richen or lean certain areas, modify the A/F table. I dont have any experience tuning a car with a Gen VII, but all this info is posted on the sites here & there...