Which cat back to use?

TurboTAJim

What cat-back system are you guys using for TTA's. I was looking at the Hooker system or the Flowmaster with the stainless tips. Which is better or is there another one that is better?

Thanks

Jim

Originally posted by Badd Azz TTA
Is that SLP a 2 1/ 2 or 3",Stainless?

JW:D
Stainless steel. 3" from cat to muffler than 2, 2.5" tailpipes out the driver's side. AKA, 2 on the left.

Sounds good. Just barely louder than stock, which is what I wanted.

Just my $.02, but I am keeping my stock exhaust. I am going to invest in a Down Pipe and a dump instead. More performance that way, and when I dont want people to know its fast, its sounds real quiet.

Originally posted by Kyle F
Just my $.02, but I am keeping my stock exhaust. I am going to invest in a Down Pipe and a dump instead. More performance that way, and when I dont want people to know its fast, its sounds real quiet.
That is what I was going to do. But after seeing my buddies low mileage TTA's exhaust that you could poke a finger threw, I just replaced it while its still in one piece. Its just aluminized steel that slowly rots away.

My exhaust is now SS 3" from turbo back to muffler. It'll last longer than the car now ;)

Originally posted by TTA 1387
I'm running an SLP cat-back. ATR makes a good one also.

FINALLY!! someone with SLP and a turbo 3.8!! sound good eh? do u get that annoying drone at certain RPMS's with some cat backs???

Originally posted by fly89gta

FINALLY!! someone with SLP and a turbo 3.8!! sound good eh? do u get that annoying drone at certain RPMS's with some cat backs???
I wouldn't call it a drone. But at 2000, the sound changes. Kind of what the stock exhaust did at 1500. Then it gets quieter again.
Its really not that much louder than stock. Even at WOT, its still pretty quiet. Of course its still brand new, so that might change.

Originally posted by Kyle F

The stock exhaust is good for 2-3mph LOSS in Racemode, I did back to backs with the dump open and closed many times.

Forget about a Downpipe and get a Dump and an Exhaust. A downpipe is worthless till your in the 11s.

I am going with the Down pipe with dump. It is the best and leaves room for inprovement. I am not completely sold on the idea of keeping the stock exhaust, but replacing it is near the bottom of the list. I have researched this a lot and I know that fast spooling is everything. I want room to grow as I get use to driving faster and faster. I am doing it in increments. Since mine already has a slavage title I dont see why I should keep it completely stock, though I want to be able to make it look all stock again if I want to.

Well Im just telling you cause I have been there. The downpipe is Useless for the level that your at. It wont make you faster or make you spool fast. A Dump and Exhaust is the way to spend your money for the level that your at. But if you insist on spending 500 bucks for nothing, so be it. :D :D

I insist because I will need it one day and its an install I can do myself, but it is not tops on my list either.
I still have to get many a little bolt on first. I should be nearing low 12's before I worry about the DP

Hmmmm.... I need a cat back bad. I really want the ATR set up but man I just cant get over the $600 mental block I get when thinking of it. I have the cat back on my car that was there when I bought it. It has 3" pipe going back then splits to a pair of 2.5", one running back on either side of the gas tank. No muffler or cat at all in the system. This is pretty much to loud and does have a drone to it. It does make the car have more of a muscle car sound to it. Doesnt sound the same as opening a dump tube. I think the long pipes give it more of a kackle sound. Like a 5.0 with headers and a pair of flow masters. Inside the car when Iam on it had it sounds like a V8 rasing hell(no turbo whine). Out side the car from and as you get farther away you hear less of an exhaust sound and more turbo whine. My car sounds worse in the water box at the track. I have been told people tend to laugh when I'm doing my burn out. Some thing about the rpms going up and the turbo spoolin just a few pounds under a fairly light load makes the damn thing sound like a weed whacker on crack. Its horrible Ive heard it when played back on vhs. I think I actually blushed when I watch it on tape. only part about it I like is at Idle, you know them rustangs think its a 305 with flowmasters.

Jason
p.s I DO NOT recommened this set up at all.

I have a custom Mandrel bent 3 inch with a Borla muffler and a hidden outlet under the bumper. Can't see anything :)

IS that the SLP Loud Mouth cat-back that Postal has I wonder?
I saw them on Year One's website for $349,Didn't say anything about a muffler,and $50 bucks cheaper than the other kit.

I wonder if SLP would send the kit minus the muffler and tailpipes so I could run a Ultraflow 3 in 3 out??

Anyone know?

How much did the custom exhaust set you back Mike?

JW

The downpipe is Useless for the level that your at. It wont make you faster or make you spool fast.
I don't know.. Out of all the mods I've done to the car, the Houston 3" downpipe was BY FAR the biggest 'seat of the pants' improvement.

It was 600 bucks for a Downpipe, Dump and Complete Exhaust with Borla Muffler.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
I don't know.. Out of all the mods I've done to the car, the Houston 3" downpipe was BY FAR the biggest 'seat of the pants' improvement.

My car always feels faster after I wash it or change the oil. ;)

Take it to the track for a back to back test and see if there really is a difference. I think after we change something on the car we always want to believe it helped and made the car faster till the timeslip at the tells you otherwise.

I watched a Back to Back test on a GN same day on a 12.3-12.4 car and it didnt pick up anything. But Hey, Most people wanna try it for themselves to believe it. If you dont mind spending the 500 bucks then go for it, its not gonna hurt ya. :)

My car always feels faster after I wash it or change the oil.
WOW ??????

Anyway, I've owned this car for 12 years now and after all the mods, and even washing it and chainging the oil. The ""ONLY"" time it ever felt noticably faster was when the Houston pipe was put on. And it was even driven earlier that same day. If I ever get another TTA (or any turbo car for that matter) - 1st mod - 3" downpipe.

I don't go to the track at all so I can't vouch for other mods that add a tenth or so. All I can say is on the street it felt like a whole different car after the Houston pipe was installed. Still does.