You can type here any text you want

which is the best oil filter to use and what brand oil ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

what oil filter is everyone using? Also, is synthetic recommended and if so, what brand and viscosity to use ? Car is pretty modified if that matters.

On my GTA I run Penzoil GT 25w/50 and AC Delco PF52 filters. I like AC Delco filters and my engine builder likes the Penzoil GT, no problems with either in the last 4 years.

HTH,
Steve

I use either the Delco PF1218 or the NAPA Gold 1086. Delco one is cheap and you find them everywhere (in the US that is), NAPA might have the 1086 in stock but can get them in quickly (they are just under $10 if I remember correctly). Important is that the filter used have the drain back valve (is that what it's called?) as the filter is mounted nearly horizontaly on the TTA.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 with a K&N oil filter. Well I haven't used the K&N filter yet but my friend who has an 87 Vette has and I've heard a lot of good things about them. They're a little on the expensive side though. We'll see how well it works once it gets warm outside.

Delco filter and cheap Havoline oil.. changed frequently.

Cheap oil make the car faster ;)

i've switched to the napa gold filters a couple years ago when the ac delco gold (or whatever) filters got discontinued. i've been using the the napas in all my cars since then with no trouble. read some oil sites (bobistheoilguy.com) and you'll read how some of the filters and oils rank.

personally - i still like royal purple oil. of course - there are a lot of mobile 1 synth users out there also.

If and when you go to a Turbo Saver, use a WIX tall chevy truck filter.
Valvoline 30W Racing (actually any weight, just so long as it's valvoline racing).

I'm gonna get heat

Why synthetic, why a turbo saver, why an expensive filter when the factory didnt use one?

Answer these...

Re: I'm gonna get heat

Originally posted by Razor
Why synthetic, why a turbo saver, why an expensive filter when the factory didnt use one?

Answer these...

It's all about friction and heat. The car came with synthetic from the factory because SYnthetic oil won't break down as easily with because of heat. I choose a more expensive filter because it filters better. The stock Ac Delco is fine but with something that will filter it more will catch those super tiny particles that other filters don't. Since those partics aren't a lubricant they normaly cause friction which causes heat and then of course heat is bad. I think this is the one thing I have seen that you have said that I have disagreed with. Synthetic oil is almost a must in a turbo car. It doesn't matter if you change more often. It's a proven fact that turbocharged cars run hotter. Regular oil just isn't designed to take the heat and doesn't lubricate as well when it gets as hot as it does in a TTA. I'll try to do some research to make these statements up and post them later on tonight or tomorrow. All of this is just from my understanding of how oils react to heat and friction.

Re: Re: I'm gonna get heat

Originally posted by 72firebird
It's all about friction and heat. The car came with synthetic from the factory because SYnthetic oil won't break down as easily with because of heat.

NOT TTA's :eek:

RD

Re: I'm gonna get heat

Originally posted by Razor
why a turbo saver, why an expensive filter
Answer these...

The turbo saver allows for a larger filter, given two properly designed oil filters, the larger will have less of a pressure drop across it. The extra lenght of the lines increases the total amount of oil the system can hold. This increase in volume, slows the rate of oil temp increase when in a heavy load. An expensive filter is less likely to rupture, the filtering media in addition to filtering also absorbs some of the acids, so there is less long term bearing damage from erosion. The check valve design, and materials used tend to be better with the more expensive filters.

IMO, having a dedicated oil supply line to the turbo, that assures it's only getting filtered oil is a good thing.

Back