white puff of smoke, then loss of power engine still runs

y b a stuntman

Had my 87 Gn out on the freeway and stepped on it really good. I got a big puff of smoke and it smoked a little more till I got the car home. There is a loss of power it does seem like the turbo is working and I have a little bit of a oil leak. When I start the car after a little bit of time smoke is coming off of the valve cover area oppisite of the side the turbo is on. Please Help with your thoughts.

Do a compression test and leakdown test.........sounds like you've just joined the headgasket repair club!

Hi and welcome stuntman!
Need a little more info. What color was the smoke? What has been done to the car as far as performance modifications? How many miles? etc.....

White smoke, eh? Sounds like a head gasket. Do what SouthernCal GN said. Look in rad and see if you see oil or check your oil and see if there is evidence of coolant there.

There is a shop in Bedford on the automile called Frank's. You could look him up in the yellow pages. It is on Broadway. He has a mean GN and should be able to hook you up.

Spin a wrench and do the work yourself! Best way to learn about your car, and save some coin in the process.....