You can type here any text you want

Who else has the OPTIONAL digital climate control?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
My 86 T type had that option, plus it was Canadian so the temperature numbers on the control head displayed in celsius rather than deg F. It worked well.

My '86 T-type also has the digital ECC unit. However, I pulled it out since I don't have A/C or a heater anymore. If yours ever goes bad, let me know and I'll send you mine.

I got one in my 86, I think that was the only year that had the option

My 85GN had The Electronic Touch Climate Control option but I removed it to make my car look like an 87.That option wasn't available in 87. ;)

Sorry Darkside, don't have any pics. But I think I do have a spare Canadian head unit that I kept. It's not in the best condition though. I'll have a look to see if it has a part number on it.

Originally posted by 2NASSTYBUICKS
My 85GN had The Electronic Touch Climate Control option but I removed it to make my car look like an 87.That option wasn't available in 87. ;)
i have it in my 87 . its nice and works great.i wanted this option because its ultra rare(c68) and i dont like the lever slide set up.

Originally posted by waell
My '86 T-type also has the digital ECC unit. However, I pulled it out since I don't have A/C or a heater anymore. If yours ever goes bad, let me know and I'll send you mine.

If its still up for grabs ill take it. The light in mine is messed up and the screw holders are broken. :cool:

If its still up for grabs ill take it. The light in mine is messed up and the screw holders are broken.

Yeah, it works well but two of my screw holdders are broken also. But the screws still have area to hold. Let me know if you want it.

Does anyone know how many of these units made it into production on 86's?

Hello,

They were a common options in most buicks of the early 80's from Regals, Full size, and even Rivieras (and other GM platforms -uncle had one in an early 80's caprice). I had heard that they were no longer available in 87, so I find it surprising one exists. The reason why they stop offering them is that they tended to have "difficulties". Due to their nature they were somewhat prone to failure, and of course, it's a complicated system and tough to service. The ones that exist now are probably the units that work, so your more likely to finds ones that run as the broken/defective units have already hit the trash can. Tough to say how many of them made it into production, but from the cars I've seen, I'd say a lot.

I do have one operations question. When any of you set your unit to full heat, are you able to get heat out of the vents, when set to vent or auto? I can have cold air blow out of any vent, but when the heat is on, it only sends it to the Defroster or floor, never the vents.

It takes a few minutes to switch to vents on mine, doesnt happen right away. It could be the vaccuum lines in behind the dash that are leaking or broken if it doesnt switch at all, or the unit is defective. Mine still switches and gives heat.

id sayless than 1000 working units in gns (how many have you seen?) the unit will not send heat through the vents untill temp has reached what you set it for on auto(smart ,you dont freeze with cold air blowing on you)

The C68 option was available on 1982 to 1986 Regals. It was not offered on the 87. Just about all of my Buicks have this option and I am proud to say they all work perfectly. The one I have the least amount of problems with is my 86 GN. I have mostly seen this option on the turbo cars but every once in a while I'll see a NA limited with it. They can be fun to diagnois so get the big fat factory shop manual before you even think about fixing one. They are self-diagnoising so when something does go wrong it will tell you where to look. Just look for constantly flashing lights. Also grab up all the spare parts you can because there aren't any more spares to go around. The only real common part to fail(the blower control module) is still available new from GM. About my only bitch is they are slow, it takes almost 30 seconds to go from full cold to full hot.

Back