Who lives in Collier County or knows anything about it?

WakkoSS

I've been trying to buy a house in Broward or Palm Beach for a year...and I'm not even CLOSE to being able to afford it. $180k for a 2/2 with garage is a bit pricey.

I'm thinking of going to Collier County sheriff's office (pay cut though, they start at 33k) and moving to that county. Anyone have feedback? I know nothing about the Naples/Marco Island area. I'm looking for a little more rural than busy.

Naples is a very nice "city" there is alot of money there.Best for you to take a weekend and check it out in person. Housing is very high in town but if your will to live in a rural area you can make it work.If the dept will let you live out of the county you work in then your money is better spent out of Naples.

I was thinking of going to the Collier County sheriff's office and leaving Broward. Just don't want to leave the frying pan for the fire.

The prices of houses in the city of Naples and Marco Island are outrageous. $180K there might get you a 1/1 condo. Personally, I would not live in Collier county, but if you are seriously thinking of it,check out the Golden Gates area. It is east of I-75 between old exit 15 and old exit 16 I believe. Collier county recently passed a law stating that flagpoles could only be a certain height. So some people, and businesses had to take down the American flag and pole to comply. Were they afraid a plane may hit one and crash? IDIOTS

Ed

Originally posted by WakkoSS
I was thinking of going to the Collier County sheriff's office and leaving Broward. Just don't want to leave the frying pan for the fire.

Might be best to talk to some Sheriff officers first. Housing second.

Ian,

As you know, I lived in t Myers since 1972 and last year moved over here to Pembroke Pines. I HATE IT. I'm trying my damnest to get my gal to move to the West Coast but her pay here can't be matched over there. So I'm setteling on buying a second weekend home out on Pine Island to go fishing at.

Anyway, like most have said, certain parts of Naples are cost prohibitive but there are a lot of the older areas or out in the country that should be decent cost. The pace of life over there is totally different than over here. And the people are a lot more friendly. AND you can go in a store and SPEAK ENGLISH!!! That bugs the crap out of me. I go in home Depot and the clerk checks me out and tells me how much it is in Spanish. I just looked at her and said this was America, why didn't she conduct business in English? Pissed her off. Check out Collier, I think you can find something and would like it. One nice thing is you can find houses that are more than 10 feet from your neighbor. DAMN, you can even buy an acre if you want.

Terry

Originally posted by tlturbo
Ian,

As you know, I lived in t Myers since 1972 and last year moved over here to Pembroke Pines. I HATE IT. I'm trying my damnest to get my gal to move to the West Coast but her pay here can't be matched over there. So I'm setteling on buying a second weekend home out on Pine Island to go fishing at.

Anyway, like most have said, certain parts of Naples are cost prohibitive but there are a lot of the older areas or out in the country that should be decent cost. The pace of life over there is totally different than over here. And the people are a lot more friendly. AND you can go in a store and SPEAK ENGLISH!!! That bugs the crap out of me. I go in home Depot and the clerk checks me out and tells me how much it is in Spanish. I just looked at her and said this was America, why didn't she conduct business in English? Pissed her off. Check out Collier, I think you can find something and would like it. One nice thing is you can find houses that are more than 10 feet from your neighbor. DAMN, you can even buy an acre if you want.

Terry

Pretty much sum's it up.

Most of been nice in 1972,alot of wild life..etc..

Yeah, Page Field was at the edge of town, No Daniels, No I-75, Cleveland was 4 lanes, Fowler 2. No Colonial Extension, etc.

Fishing was definitely a LOT better.

Frank - do you know Gino and Mike? Did I meet you at Gino's maybe? We used to know all the GN owners in FT Myers.

Terry

Ian,

Why Collier Co? Are you hell bent in the S FLA Lower Penninsula? Orange Co SO is 10-8. And the co$t of living in that area is still doable.. However I beleive they stay pretty busy. On the other hand you can always come on up to NC...;)

One of the bad things about naples is its size. Its still small enough not to feel like a big city, but when winter comes, the city triples in size. Forget about going out to eat in the winter, all restaurants have over an hour wait. Traffic is starting to get crazy too. Its a very nice area, but forget about doing anything after 9pm, the city closes. Housing and land is starting to skyrocket like it did over here. My grandparents have lived there since 1973 and my sister and parents live over there now. Its a nice place to visit, but I don't think I could live there.

Ian, I have a nice 3/2, pool and 1 car carport I'll sell you for a nice low price of $300,000. :eek: Yep, housing over here is CRAZY.

I love Georgia and the Carolinas...I'd fit right in...but I deliberately picked an SO for the state retirement. I'm 28 and have two years into my retirement, don't really want to start all over again.

Florida State is 25 years at 75%. Most municipal departments are 20 years at 60%. BSO pays all, municipals charge you a percentage.

Or you could do what I did. I had 18 years in with the FL Ret System and retired last year. BUT instead of taking retirement, they have an option where you can transfer all the VALUE of your retirement fund (for most people with over 10 years, you are talking 6 figures) from the Retirement Plan to their Investment plan. Like putting it in the stock market. Over the past year, I have averaged 3 times the amount I would have gotten each month with the Retirement plan.

After out house burnt down 3 years ago in Ft Myers, we bought a real nivc 3/2 with 3 car garage, pool, 1 1/2 acres and lots of trees for $160K. Like I said, certain areas have nice stuff you just have to look around.

Have you checked out www.realtor.com?

Wow, 160k for all that? Bet that'd be hard to find now. No, I haven't...but I will. My problem is not knowing what areas are nice and which aren't. Someone I know bought a house in Lauderdale Lakes thinking it was a nice area...oops.

Like RareT mentioned, look at golden gate. If you had to compare it to something over here it would be a lot like davie. It feels like its in the country and right now its just starting to get built up. All the lots are pretty big and the houses are set back from the road at least 100'. Only problem is that they don't have a fire department.