You can type here any text you want

Who´s running a TH350 or TH400

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
Me and Ulf sat down and talked a few moments about my transmission problems. He thought it would be time to go over to a TH350 or TH400. It will cost very much for me to have a transmission built by PTS ($4700 +shipping), and I don´t know anyone that I´d trust to build it for me in Sweden (if I bought the parts from PTS).

How much is needed to be replaced to go 350 or 400?

Thanks in advance
/Andreas

Steve, TTA850 has a 400.

I think its crossmember, driveshaft, converter, and decide on full manual valvebody.

Your 2204r problems are typical here as well. It requires someone with a great knowledge base on them.

Another option is the 4LE80 :D

and the AOD from the Mustangs.. but dont know what that will take.

Got to modify the tranny tail shaft mount that connects to cross member(the little rubber motor mount looking thing). Have to remove old yoke from drive shaft and switch to t400 style yoke. Drive shaft length is ok because trannies are with in 1/2 and inch of each other in length. You can use the stock shifter but you have to modify the shifter cable braket. You reuse the stock dip stick tube. The tranny lines screw right in, but I might of had to bend them a little. The 400 has to be BOP bolt patern. You will need a different convertor and you need to decide if you want to run a switch pitch or regular tranny. You need to hook up a vacuum line with a check valve in it to the vacuum modulator on the tranny.

I went with a switch pitch set up from PAE out of Texas. www.paeenterprises.com I popped my head gasket due to a miss shift. I havent put my car back together yet so I have little feed back on how the switch pitch works. I can make three statements:
1. low stall mode is tight
2. high stall mode (4200 rpm stall) and a dual ball bearing T66 spools GOOD even on a stock long block.
3. the jury is still out if this is going to help me go faster.

Hope this helps: Jason

The shifter or bracket is no problem, I´ve got a B&M Console Megashifter installed.

What about torque arm? Last winter I bought the Spohn adj. arm (with drv.shaft loop) but never installed it. Will it still work, or do I have to get a new one?

So, the driveshaft will still be usable except for the yoke?

I never heard of the switch pitch before, anyone have comments about those?

What transmission would be preffered between 350/400, which one requires less modifications and which one is strongest?

Sorry for all the questions, can´t find any good sources for them.

/Andreas

Ok, I´ve managed to do some research and found out that one in our dragrace club works with the 400 for heavy dragracing. I talked to him and he thinks that´s the way to go, and I guess I´ll have a really good price too.

Now, what is really needed to make this conversion? I mean like crossmember, torque arm, rear pinion, driveshaft etc.

The 200 will be too expensive to beef up, so I will switch it. Just need to know what other parts to get (which I haven´t found anywhere).

Thanks
/Andreas

What transmission would be preffered between 350/400, which one requires less modifications and which one is strongest?

Well people always say the 400 is deffinately stronger but they say its heavy and robs more HP than the 350. The weights are with in like 20 pounds of each other (no big deal on a car this heavy any way) and Ive never actually heard any body say that when they went from a 350 to a 400 that their car ran slower. This might actually happen but Ive never personally heard any one state it.

The tranny cable braket had to be modified on my car because its held on with two bolts to the tranny pan. The spacing between the bolts is closer on the 200 than the 400. Infact the 400 holes are so far apart the you cant just drill new holes in the old braket. I had to take a strip of steel and drill the holes in it and then weld that strip to the old braket.

So, the driveshaft will still be usable except for the yoke?

Yes the drive shaft is fine. The 400 is only half and inch shorter than the 200. You'll still have e few inches of the yoke going up into the tranny and will have good spline engagement. You'll need to go get a new universal joint to put the 400 yoke on your stock drive shaft.

Now, what is really needed to make this conversion? I mean like crossmember, torque arm, rear pinion, driveshaft etc.

All that stuff will be fine. You will have to modify the rear tranny mount though. Once again you have two bolts and the bolt holes on the 400 are farther apart than on the 200. You might be able to buy one but I just modyfied mine.

The 200 will be too expensive to beef up, so I will switch it. Just need to know what other parts to get (which I haven´t found anywhere).

Reread my first post. I just did this back in may and I did ALL the work my self. So I know exactly what all was involved. I did forget to mention some bolts, my old TC bolts where too big and you need different bolts to bolt the rear tranny mount to the tranny.

HTH: Jason

Jason,
Thank You very much for this objective explanation. It sounds better than I thought.

The B&M shifter has got a different bracket that is supposed to work with 200, 350, 400 and 700.

So the bolt alignment is the same for the 400 TC?

/Andreas

So the bolt alignment is the same for the 400 TC?

Yeah the three holes line up but the holes iin my converter where smaller so I had to get skinnier bolts. This may have been the wrong way to do it. I probably should have drilled out the bolt holes on the convertor to take the fatter bolts.

I think the 400's are the way to go with these cars. 400's are ALOT cheaper and stronger. When I first bought my GN about 9 years ago it was around $1000 to have your 200r4 built up. Some of these shops want up to $3500 to build a 200 up. Now this is a stronger set up than the old $1000 build ups but damn thats alot of money to pay to keep OD in a hipo car. From what I read before I bought my 400 was that any of the guys that went to a 400 never looked back.

Jason

Thanks for all the info, Jason. Now I´m totally convinced about the 400.

/Andreas

My fault...... shouldn't mentioned this for Lunkan.... i can see me doing some drilling and welding in near future for him;)

No problems!

I help Lunkan, Lunkan helps me.... all the time!:cool:

Nice to be 3 Turbo owners in a small town over here....

Hehe, it´s Your fault everything. If it wasn´t for You, I´d never bought this car ;)

Yup, small town but still 3 turbo bro´s.

We do it the Swedish way, the Crazy way :cool:

Back