You can type here any text you want

Wideband O2 and leaded fuel.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trophystock

Does a wideband O2 sensor stand up to leaded fuel any better then a regular O2? What is everybody doing that run a FAST system?

The wideband sensors are much more tolerant of lead than the narrow band 02's they last for a long time on leaded fuel.

Doug

Well yes and no!

read below
This section contains information on specific topics about the Bosch 6066 and 7057 LSU sensors.

Using Sensors With Leaded Fuel
Depending on the lead content of the fuel used, the expected service life time is: (preliminary data)

for 0.6 g Pb/l: 20,000 km
for 0.4 g Pb/l: 30,000 km
for 0.15 g Pb/l: 60,000 km
for 0.00 g Pb/l: 160,000 km (ie. unleaded)
Extrapolating this Bosch data suggest that at 1.5 g/l the life may be as low as 2,000 km or just 20 hours at 100 km/h. AvGas 100LL has 0.56 g/l Pb, suggesting a sensor life of 200 hours. Compare this to a suggested life of 1,600 hours for unleaded.

C16 i think HAS about 2.2 grams/ gal

the NTK sensor on my fast probably has 2000 miles on it over the last couple years. at the track I use mostly 110 leaded fuel at the track and 94 sunoco unleaded on the street. mixed with what ever race gas was left in the tank. no problems yet. A dyno operator told me once that he never had one die from lead poisoning. Ill ask him that again next time I see him. heh.

I know for sure that it has outlasted 2 sets of 350 dollar slicks anyway.

DJ

Originally posted by norbs

read below
This section contains information on specific topics about the Bosch 6066 and 7057 LSU sensors.

I'd wonder under what conditions thou. I'd almost bet, it's at Stoic..

For years, US spec cars with O2s were exported to countries that had leaded fuels only. Without complaint. I'd venture a guess there's addition variables in the equation.

I have used a pile of the bosch's and ntk's. I have never had one die from lead poisoning either. I would really, really watch running av gas, as it has a lot of glycol in it (used as a anti-freeze). That will kill the o2 quicker than you can imagine. Keep your AFR respectable. and you wont have a problem.

Dennis
Air Flow Development

I am like many others.. using FAST with WBO2, and leaded race fuel.. Trick 114 to be precise, and maybe Trick 118 soon when I up the boost pressure. Octane rating is lower than the number in the label.. just can't remember what it is.

Anyway.. I had a theory that even a $400 sensor is cheaper than a 4-6,000 dollar engine.

One concern I have though is what are tell tale signs when a sensor is starting to die, or has died. Do they read lean and let the ECM correct by dumping fuel, or how will I know when it's time to swap the sensor??

Just hate to fire it up one day and roast an engine because I didn't catch that the sensor was failing on me.

Back