You can type here any text you want

Will DFI w VIC harness hook up to a FAST harness?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reggie West

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
OK Craig here is a question for you.

We want to try out a FAST unit on a Stage motor. We are using a DFI with Variable Injector Controller now.

Will the DFI harness work with a FAST harness or do we have to take all of the DFI hardware out and get back to the stock harness in order to use the FAST?

Thanks in advance

Why not sell the VIC and just use the Gen VII instead of trying to make the FAST and VIC work together...??? VIC is not needed at all with the Gen VII...

The FAST unit will not work with the DFI harness.

You don't necessarily need to go back to stock wiring either. You can get a standalone harness with the FAST unit. It would save you the time of splicing into the factory harness.

Thanks Craig that is what I needed to know.

I assume that the harness that you sell with the FAST unit will work then, correct?

DFI we have been tossing that idea around. We have someone nice enough to let us try out a FAST unit on our car for free. That is why we are doing it.

We are chasing down some demons in a Stage 2 motor and I have to find out if it is the DFI box that is causing the problems. Suffice it to say that I believe it to be the DFI is just not able to control the timing on this motor properly.

This has become a real pain in the @$$.

Thanks guys

Ok, I hear ya then, its always good to have friends that can help. I am confused though, are you trying to eliminate the DFI as the problem, if using the VIC, you'd be using the Gen 6 system then right? With my little experience with the Gen 7, you just set the timing map where you want it to be at the specified RPM & MAP and then go. Use the force timing to sync up the distributor to the entered timing so you have them both reading the same. I'm unclear as to how the ECU wouldn't be able to control timing unless the unit itself it physically defunct....Hopefully it works out for ya though...Going to the Gen 7 will eliminate the VIC and also will give quite a bit more control over the older 6 system, it is far superior to anything else I have seen so far...

Yes we are trying to eliminate the DFI as the culprit.

And yes the timing SHOULD be that easy. We are finding something different though.

And you hit on it in your post. Force timing. We believe that the Gen 6 is not controlling the timing correctly.

That is what we are trying to find out.

If we use the FAST unit and this thing is a monster all of a sudden we know what the problem is. Then it will be decision time Gen 7 or FAST? That will be the $2300 question.

Ahh, well it is possible then if you are using the Gen VI. The Gen 7 system has a force timing option, I dont think the older Gen VI has the same thing...I can imagine that it probably is harder to sync up the dizzy and the screen to the same number...Although, you could just make a random program and set the whole map to a safe timing number and then shoot the balancer with a light...The Gen 7 is way beyond all the trinket stuff offered with the Gen VI and Fel-Pro stuff I think...

Back