Will knock retard make EGT temps go sky high?

Taffy

I was on the freeway going about 65 in drive before it shifted into OD (still going 65 mind you). When in D it was tickling 1600 degrees (right where I want it). But when it shifted into OD it stayed at 1600 untill I saw some KR on the Knock Meter, then the EGT meter went WAY above 1600 (only goes to 1600, but I am sure it was at 1650+). Since less timing will raise exh temps, will even more timing retard raise the temps even higher? ERIC.:confused:

It knocks at part throttle only in OD with 10+ psig boost. I need to come uver to Arizona and meet all you guys so you all can set my tuning straight. Not for another 1.5 years when I get out of the Navy though. ERIC.:cool:

well, that would be the logical place for knock to occur (greatest engine load)...could be anything from not enough octane, not enough fuel, bad injector, etc ....make sure your fuel system is in top notch shape including the filter.....you don't want to be in AZ in July....schedule your visit for October!

Yeah, something is wrong there. My car idles at 800 deg, drives around town and cruises on the interstate at 1000-1150 deg. At part throttle it might go to 1300 or so but won't hit 1600 until most of the way thru 3rd gear. With a race chip, it is usually 1500-1550. My probe is right before the turbo next to the O2 sensor in the header. I have the autometer setup. If you are getting 1600+ at low boost and part throttle, I would think your thermocouple is messed up or you are really lean and/or have very little timing in the motor/chip.

1Bad V6, I have my probe in the crossover just after the DS header. Yes I am going to move it. Mine idles right at 900. So maybe I am seeing 100 degrees hotter than you guys witht he EGT in the turbo area. I also run the Autometer setup. THe chip is a JC 93 I think 20 degrees. This chip is a world of difference over the Kenne Bell Hi/Lo slow chip. KB chip had too much timing.
Now I do not feel so bad about pegging the 1600 meter on the freeway if it is indeed reading 100 higher than everyone else.