You can type here any text you want

Will this car ever give me a break

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

Finally got the new motor in and running strong. I expected an issue or two which I had. The engine builder didn't get the intake sealed right so I had an oil leak at the back of the motor. Not bad but bugged me. Also had a small leak at the fuel pump block off plate. I lived with it until the other day so I went out to the shop after work and pulled the intake. I had the intake back on the next night which was last night and let the silicone set up. Finished up a few things tonight like the fuel pump block off plate which is a bit$h with the motor in the car. In the process of getting the fuel lines out of the way for the back bolt on the plate I managed to shove the cam sensor into the harmonic balancer. Didn't know it and hit the key. The car fired and died several times. I knew exactly what I did after that. Put the car back up in the air and had witness marks to prove it. No parts store has it so I'm dead until Saturday.

On top of that I got the rear bolt on the fuel pump block off plate crossed up somehow. Felt good in the beginning then I got that weird feeling something wasn't right. It was half way home so I ran it in slowly. Hopefully I got it tight but with 2 feet of extension and a swivel you ain't got a lot of finesse.

So I pulled up a chair, lit a cigarette and drank a beer. Every once in a while I'd walk over and look at the block off plate to see if it heeled itself. If you've been wrenching long enough you know exactly what I'm talking about. I was working by myself so I didn't have my beer drinking helper to give me the ole one eye "it shouldn't leak" speech.

I love this hobby

Last edited:
Walking away does seem to help with some projects... not sure about with a leak tho o_O
Sorry to hear about the trouble.

I'm hoping I fixed the leak. Won't know until I get it fired up. One of those deals where I just couldn't find a rhythm from the start but I had to get it done and off the lift for another project so I pushed on.

Worst case is I pull the timing cover and re tap the hole and fix it on the work bench. No big deal just time consuming.

When I got the motor back I pulled the rear bolt out of the fuel pump block off plate to fasten the fuel lines and remember thinking I should pull the plate and reseal it. I didn't and now I'm paying for it.

Live and learn.

Always listen to that little voice in the back of your head. It's usually right. I know, I didn't listen to it many times and have been burned.

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

But to get a break with these cars. You need to start with a low mileage one in good condition and only do bolt on performance upgrades. And never open the engine up, leave it stock. That will allow you to have a mid 11 second Turbo Regal street car and be very reliable with you only having to do basic maintenance and can drive it anywhere,anytime.

Its scary to think these are now in 30 year old car territory and now have old car issues.

mine leaks EVERYTHING. sits too much

Back