Window felt question

turbosam6

My cars suck
I really need to replace the door to window seal felt strip thingy. The one your arm lays on when you cruise with windows down. Mines cracked and ugly. How difficult is this to replace, and where do I get them? My car has nice paint, so I don't want to damage it. Thanx.

its an easy job, i did mine last fall. i ordered my parts from gmpartsdirect, they were much cheaper than any local dealerships. do yourself a big favor, order the felts and then the window repair kit from kirbans if you're window is loose or rattles when you shut the door. gm used some real cheap parts on the windows and the kit eliminated my rattles. yeah, its another $50 but i thought it was well worth it. the worst part of the job is adjusting the window for the "perfect fit" around the seals. it took me a couple of hours to get it just right but i eliminated most of the wind noise. i wouldnt worry about scratching any paint, its not that tough of a job. by the way, the kirban kit also includes the plastic pieces that hold the lower door panel on so you wont have that thing flapping in the breeze after your r&r job. just let me know if you're looking for some help, i'm right around the corner. good luck, aaron

Hey thanks, I might just have to take you up on that offer! I already have the window kits, they need done badly. I'm just too lazy, plus it just looks intimidating. How much did you pay for those felts? I hate doing that kind of stuff, worried about the paint and stuff. If you can help, I'll buy lunch! Call me at home 217-359-9749.

If you are talking about the outer dew strips that come with the metal trim (along the outside of the window), I just returned two POS to GMPARTSDIRECT. One wasn't even in a package and both were bent to sh!t. Apparently they thought they were made of rubber.

I'm waiting for good ones to come back.

Have you notices they stack up S/H and every part? If you buy enough parts the total price goes through the roof. Unless you are buying from a dealer with a crystal cathedral for a showroom, the dealer's prices are very competitive once you add in S/H from GMPD.

TK

What was the part nubmer on them?

I know what you mean. I am getting all new weatherstripping for my car, and it was going to be like $470 on gmpartsdirect then I looked closely and it was about $100 extra for s&h.

Originally posted by terryk
...Have you notices they stack up S/H and every part? If you buy enough parts the total price goes through the roof. Unless you are buying from a dealer with a crystal cathedral for a showroom, the dealer's prices are very competitive once you add in S/H from GMPD.

TK

Good to know, I was thinking of getting weatherstripping there - no wonder their prices are so "competitive" :rolleyes:

BTW, are you saying the outer window felts one piece with the trim on the top of the door (do GN's even have this trim Iike a Monte SS)? or is the metal piece your talking about not visible once installed?

What I got was the metal strip with the rubber dew strip and flet pads attached in three? places.

This metal strip is the cosmetic piece along the outside of the window at the top of the door.

I believe these are correct.

Window Strip - black bottom of window (RH) 20674283
Window Strip - black bottom of window (LH) 20674282

As for the S/H comment, you should compare GMPD with the local dealers. The more expensive the part is, the better the price from GMPD. But paying $8 S/H on a $28 part (meaning $36) is steep. it seems that they just drive the price back up to the wholesale price.

They are called " Belt Mouldings ", just had them replaced on my car for the new paint job.

Donnie

I just looked in Postons catalog and it was about 150 bucks for the inside and outside ones. I guess I will just get the outside ones from GM and the inside ones them from there. That will save me about 40 bucks. :)