wix racing oil filters

gnfanatic

Hey guys , I was talking to a friend of mine about oil filyters. He is a diesel Mechanic and works on his Boss's race boats. He was telling me the engine (502 ci supercharged) have 110 psi of oil pressure when cold and 75 when hot. He never ever blew or damaged a wix racing filter. He only uses them and Kendall racing Oil. he says the filters are black and he buys them by the case froma distributor in NJ. He can get me a case if I want to but I dont know the right model. does anyone? He asked me if we used the same big filters as the sbc motors. I had no clue. he mentioned the fram ph30 being the ame size.

thanks,
Ralph

Late model SBC's MAY use the same filter as a stock GN. You should just get one to match it up and see. My Suburban uses an AC PF-47 [or PF-52].

Originally posted by gnfanatic
Hey guys , I was talking to a friend of mine about oil filyters. He is a diesel Mechanic and works on his Boss's race boats. He was telling me the engine (502 ci supercharged) have 110 psi of oil pressure when cold and 75 when hot. He never ever blew or damaged a wix racing filter. He only uses them and Kendall racing Oil. he says the filters are black and he buys them by the case froma distributor in NJ. He can get me a case if I want to but I dont know the right model. does anyone? He asked me if we used the same big filters as the sbc motors. I had no clue. he mentioned the fram ph30 being the ame size.

I used them, and then just switched over to the regular WIX. I'm using a PT+E turbo saver remote oil filer holder, and the long Chevy truck filter.

If your still using the tiny stock filter, you might consider upgrading to the remote filter, since that makes it a 6 gt system, and while it eliminates the oil cooler, Personally I'd rather have the greater capacity.
BTW, been using Valvoline Racing for 30 years with excellent results. When all the econo roller cams were dieing in 100-500 miles, I went 5K miles and only had a trace amount of wear. So much foe syns in my book.....

Re: Re: wix racing oil filters

Originally posted by bruce
I used them, and then just switched over to the regular WIX. I'm using a PT+E turbo saver remote oil filer holder, and the long Chevy truck filter.

If your still using the tiny stock filter, you might consider upgrading to the remote filter, since that makes it a 6 gt system, and while it eliminates the oil cooler, Personally I'd rather have the greater capacity.
BTW, been using Valvoline Racing for 30 years with excellent results. When all the econo roller cams were dieing in 100-500 miles, I went 5K miles and only had a trace amount of wear. So much foe syns in my book.....

Bruce, it doesn't *have* to eliminate the stock oil cooler. I didn't do that on mine. Just twisted it right on!

I just put one of those on last week. I went to the counter of the auto parts place and told the guy to give me the best filter you have. He came back with a wix and showed me the cut-outs of why the wix is the best. I used the fram part number from gnttype.org for the bigger replacement for our cars and the guy referenced the right wix filter. Its about twice the size of the original filter. Sorry I dont remember the wix number.

Nick

guys, I have my bypass blocked and have the cooler removed. I have 75 psi cold at idle and 30 hot. I have thr biggie filter adapter. I blew out a mobil,fram and napa wix. they all internally collapsed. I now use the purolator 30005L which is longer then them, no problem at all with it but it is a PIA to find. So I dont have a problem now that I found the purolator but i always ehard the wix reace kicks but. I jsut cant find a damn ref chart to see which one to get. I rather jsut have a case of the wix in my garage rather then going to 5 pep boys looking for my purolator. I run 20 50 weight valvoline oil. My engine builder (rpe) recommends all this. He recommended the Wix race filter and Kendal Gt (I think it is GT) oil. I cant find that either.

thanks!

nickB, was the filter white or black? Wix makes reg filter for Napa , not the race version.If it was black where did ya go?
thanks

Mines white, but I can ask the place where I got it if they carry or can get the black ones. It's K&H auto parts in Hammonton, NJ.

I have been running the WIX filter with the PTE remote set up.
I got my last couple from Jack Cotton, but you can get them at most high performance parts houses. The part # is Wix 51061R black with gold lettering.

As far as the Kendall GT oil, I was told they discontinued it. I know a few months back one of my buddy's ran all over town buying every can or bottle he could get.

I think the Valvoline Racing is top quality oil, I go along with Bruce, I've been using it for a number of years...

:cool:

Originally posted by gnfanatic
guys, I have my bypass blocked and have the cooler removed. I have 75 psi cold at idle and 30 hot. I have thr biggie filter adapter.

The Wix part no. for the "biggie" replacement is: 51258. This is the crossover for AC Delco PF-24.

Our local parts house carries Kendal oil by the case.

Our local parts house carries Kendal oil by the case.

Nick...

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the oil, I was speaking of the old type, you know the green stuff, not the brown....

The boy's tell me the alchy motors don't seem to like the new Kendall GT "brown color" that's what spurred the buying spree...

:cool:

guys, I am confused. you guys gave me 2 diff wix part numbers. I want the biggie filter one. Nick Micale, the number you gave me is for the race version filter? Is the PTE turbo saver use the same threads as the biggie filter adapter?
thanks!

The number I gave you is a standard Wix filter. It fits old GM V-8's and the "biggie". There should be a HD, premium or racing filter linked to that number if Wix has one.

Last I checked, the remote filters use a Ford type filter.

Re: Re: Re: wix racing oil filters

Originally posted by Bandit
Bruce, it doesn't *have* to eliminate the stock oil cooler. I didn't do that on mine. Just twisted it right on!

Mine only came with 3 oil lines. AN for the turbo and then in and out for the remote holder. It would take one more section of hose to do the oil cooler hook up. Did your's come with 4 hoses?.
Yes, with some refabing you could retain the oil cooler.

ummmm The PTE turbo saver/remote filter setup screws right on top of the existing oil cooler adapter. At least mine did. No mods or extra lines needed.

Also, my PTE turbo saver setup uses the filter for a 66 (OR OLDER) Pontiac engine. When at the parts store, that's what I ask for "I need a filter for a 1966 Pontiac V8" I get the right one everytime.

Re: Re: Re: Re: wix racing oil filters

Originally posted by bruce
Mine only came with 3 oil lines. AN for the turbo and then in and out for the remote holder. It would take one more section of hose to do the oil cooler hook up. Did your's come with 4 hoses?.
Yes, with some refabing you could retain the oil cooler.
The turbo saver actually screws on where the oil filter used to be. You do not need to remove the oil cooler adapter.

I can get the wix black racing filters by the case. Just let me know what you guys need.

Nick

Nick I am looking for the one that fits the biggie oil filter adapter. I have a purolator 30005l, can you cross reference that?
thanks!
Ralph