You can type here any text you want

Won't lock up in 2nd

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbows6

Having a little issue. I took my TTA to the track Saturday for the first time and I wanted to lock the converter in 2nd gear, but for some reason when I hit the switch it won't lock up until the 2-3 shift, and when it does it bogs the motor down and takes a couple seconds to get back into the power band, so I know it's loosing a bunch around mid track from that. I think the acceleration may be pulling the fluid off the pickup. (It has a stock pan, and I had the fluid level inside the factory recommended range) Lockup works fine when driving normally or even at ~75% throttle.

FWIW the car went almost 104 in the 1/8th even though my foot lifted off the gas when I launched the car. (Tried to hold 8#'s leaving line, hit trans brake and the acceleration pulled my foot back from the throttle... 1.93 60' :rolleyes:)

Anyone seen this or have some advice?

Having a little issue. I took my TTA to the track Saturday for the first time and I wanted to lock the converter in 2nd gear, but for some reason when I hit the switch it won't lock up until the 2-3 shift, and when it does it bogs the motor down and takes a couple seconds to get back into the power band, so I know it's loosing a bunch around mid track from that.
I think the acceleration may be pulling the fluid off the pickup. (It has a stock pan, and I had the fluid level inside the factory recommended range) Lockup works fine when driving normally or even at ~75% throttle.

FWIW the car went almost 104 in the 1/8th even though my foot lifted off the gas when I launched the car. (Tried to hold 8#'s leaving line, hit trans brake and the acceleration pulled my foot back from the throttle... 1.93 60' :rolleyes:)

Anyone seen this or have some advice?

The 2004R doesn't have a Pressure switch for 2nd gear. If your Car uses the Computer signal to command TC Lockup that's why you'd get no Lockup in 2nd. You'd need a Toggle switch with constant 12V to Lockup in 2nd.

Do you have a 1-2, 2-3 shift flare?
Many use a 700R4 Filter with bottom feed Pickup w/Stock Pan, some type of Pan baffle or Deep Pan with bottom feed Pickup Filter. Also many fill the Trans level to the back & forth bends on Dipstick w/Stock Pan to prevent cavitation at launch.

Leg exersizeses, weaker Throttle spring. :biggrin:

Lockup is on a switch. It's a Brian Hoffer transmission, so I'm confident there isn't anything wrong with the way it's built. I don't have a deep pan because it's in a TTA. Steve from the board here had a black t-type that ran 10.70's and he said that it would flare the 2-3 shift, but he put an extra quart of fluid in and it fixed the problem.

I don't know if fluid coming off the pickup would cause it not to be able to lock the converter. :confused:

Jump the far upper right and left pins on the diag port. And it will lock in second.

Where do you have it wired to?

I know how to lock the converter. The switch is working. I just don't know why it isn't locking under hard acceleration until after it shifts into 3rd gear even if you hit the switch way before the 2-3 shift. It had been locking up just fine in second on the street when it was on lower boost and had the flat tappet cam. That's why I think it may have to do with the fluid coming off the pick-up. I haven't touched anything related to the transmission whatsoever from when it was locking up in 2nd on the switch at full throttle. The only problem is that it won't lock in 2nd under hard acceleration now that it's making more power and with good tires.

Back