Would you buy this 89 TA Turbo

jaytone

Hi
I am in the market for a 89 TA turbo. I really dont want a stock one since I will want to modify it.
I have found one that is in mint condition. It has had extensive tranny and engine work done by Cal Hartline in Florida. The owner put in over $13,000.00 in mods alone. The car looks stock, has orginal wheels, t tops and is basically a show car with a high performance drive train. It also has alcohol injection for the turbo.
Anyway, I like the car but not sure if a Cal Hartline engine is worth the asking price of the car. He wanted $16,500 and wont go lower than $15,000 The owner is 55 years old. The mods were done in 2001
Any input would surely be appreciated.

Originally posted by jaytone
Hi
It has had extensive tranny and engine work done by Cal Hartline in Florida. The owner put in over $13,000.00 in mods alone. He wanted $16,500 and wont go lower than $15,000 The owner is 55 years old. The mods were done in 2001
Any input would surely be appreciated.

List engine and tranny and $13,000 mods.
I know some 55 year olds that are hard on their cars because they can afford to fix them.

I would learn more about these cars before purchasing one with a built motor in it. You may want to consider something else. Cal Hartline is a good builder and nice guy from what I have heard from everybody on this board and at the track, but starting out in a heavily modded TTA isn't always the best way to go fast or learn. I would get to know your stock (lightly modded)car first and go from there, you will learn more and have fun modding it...Also have the stock parts to put back on.

You really dont have to do much to these cars to make them fast, just read and learn from here and gnttype.org. Get your own perception on how you want to mod your car. " It's just bolt on's.";)

My .02

Bo

Im going to give you my opinion on this car as I know the owner his son and Cal is my buddy. This is a awesome car. Both Cal and I have always been interested in buying this car.

There is nothing cheap on the car as the owner could afford it. The hardest i saw this car being driven was at the last BOP event in Orlando. The interior is perfect with a roll bar painted to exactly match the interior. It already has a 9in rear, Full billet 200R4, subframe connectors. The car needs nothing.

I saw the car go 10.90s, but I believe its gone easy 10.80s.The car will go 10.50s -40 at the right track.

Hi
First of all, thanks for the replies. Louie L, I dont think its the same car since this one has the stock rearend and has no roll bar.
As for some of the mods to the engine, I will list some. Again, the body, interior, undercarriage is mint and has been repainted.
Here are just some of the engine mods

Scanmaster
Electronic boost control
new water pump
block machine work
balanced
recon rods
polish and chamfer crank
roller camshaft
lifters
Billet center main caps
TA-53C Turbo
MSD 50 injectors
Walbro fuel pump
JE Pistons
Champion iron heads
Champion ported intake
9/11 COnverter
Crankshaft
Billet roller cam kit

More, but I think you can get the idea. The tranny is also been beefed up, as well as a new stainless steel exhaust.

Hope this helps those so that they can help me decide.
Opinions ?
Thanks