WOW....it passed CT emissions....FYI for everyone

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
And man, was I nervous. :eek:

It tool a little bit of prep, but it paid off. I took the THDP off, put the stock DP and a universal catalytic converter on it. Taking some advice from Quick6'n'-K.C. that my car was running rich, I turned the FP down to 38psi line off, put my old PTE 20º street chip back in it (since the TurboTweak chip kills the EGR function), and put a 1/2 a bottle of drygas in the tank, which was only 1/4 full.

Took it for a 15 mile drive before bringing it to the test station. It was running about 170º-175ºF (car has a 160º stat), outside temp was around 75º, and it yielded these results:

HC Limit: 132ppm; Test result: 21ppm
CO Limit: .42%; Test result: .01%
NOx Limit: 921ppm; Test result: 10ppm

Here is the info on the engine mods at time of the test:

Stock Turbo/IC/Heads/Cam
“Big Mouth” Cold Air Intake w/K&N & 3" Chrome MAF Pipe
Jay Jackson 62/65mm Ported Throttle Body
Stock MAF
160º Thermostat
“009” 42.5lb Injectors w/Eric Marshall (www.turbotweak.com) chip
SMC Single Nozzle Alcohol Injection (running 100% Denatured Alcohol)
RJC Power Plate
Stock elbow, DP, universal 2.5" in/out catalytic converter cobbled into the exhaust with adapters and clamps galore
Kirban’s Hi-Flow Stainless Steel Crossover
Torque Tech 2.5" Dual Exhaust w/ Dynomax Race Magnum mufflers
Hotwired Walbro 340 Fuel Pump
Accufab Fuel Pressure Regulator (38psi line off)
Adjustable HD Wastegate
MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Ignition wires w/ Mallory Pro Shield heat protective cover
Autolite 23’s @ .032”

To be honest, I was shocked that it passed, especially this clean. I think it should qualify for LEV status. ;)

Just thought I would share this info with everyone....
Steve

congrats man! CT is becoming a PIA for this stuff. You definitely need a cat if you don't have a FAST unit and you may need it anyway. I passed by the skin of my teeth this year. They keep making things rougher for us older cars.

Mine went thru about 3 weeks ago. Didn't do anything to it except put the cat back on. The dump and electric cutout were back on within an hour of getting home. :biggrin: Will have to dig the sheet out to see how mine compared.

I have pretty much the same setup as you except for TA49 turbo, 37 lb injectors, LS1 MAF sensor.

Yes, CT is a PITA! I seem to remember back that back in the early '90's when I took my '87 IROC-Z through, the HC and CO limits were higher. How the hell did they manage to change standards for a car that was built 18 years ago? Did they expect people to upgrade the emissions system? WTF :mad:

But I can say that I am happy that it passed. The THDP, test pipe and TurboTweak chip are going back in this weekend. The weather is going to be cooler soon....good weather for performance!

Mark, I'd like to know how your car fared....let us know if you find the test report.

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 2005 Emissions Test Report.jpg
    2005 Emissions Test Report.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 622
:biggrin: Here's my emissions paperwork, you outdid me a bit but not by much.

Attachments

• emissions.jpg
    emissions.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 596
damn, there's something up with my car. I passed by the skin of my teeth on CO (I think). I believe I was at .41

Impressive results Mark. :cool:

It is interesting, as much as people interpret hot rods and muscle cars to be polluting, smoke-belching demons, our cars actually run pretty clean. Gotta love computer controls and EFI. :)

Of course, now that the cat is off, the non-EGR-functioning chip is back in, I am curious to see what the results would be like now.

Mark B, don't worry about it. If it passed, that's all that matters! As long as it runs good, don't worry about how far below the limit you were. I believe that with all the mods we do to these cars (fat injectors, turbos, cams, heads etc), for them to pass these stringent test requirements is quite a feat. But that's just another kick in the teeth for the enviro-nazis. Performance cars can in fact run clean!

Steve

My GN went through this spring. No scanner for the sheet. :p

HC 40 out of 132

NOX 102 out of 921

CO .12 out of .42

Old school Modern Musclecar street SP10? chip I found for my Bosch 42lb. greentop injectors that still had EGR code in it. :cool:

PTE51, cold air kit, 160 stat., Random Tech. 3" cat.

SalvageV6 the WE4 passed a few times on the old test with no EGR but always had a cat. on.

Passed once with the new test prior to the corruption scandal with no EGR in the translator extender extreme chip and the same 42lb. greentops.

This winter I will be trying my EGR pulser I made with about 30% EGR duty cycle to help lower the NOX I hope, since that car passed at close to the max. 911 out of 921 with no EGR function on the newer test. :eek:

Too close for comfort, time to cheat. :D

Car now has the 70 turbo, 55lb. injectors, 160 stat., same random tech hi flow cat. etc.

Stock heads and cam. both cars.

Mark: That may be your O2 (oxygen) sensor. But, if it passed, just wait till before next time.

When I got my GN 7 years ago, it was out of tune, all the sensores were old or mis adjusted, no cat conv. 38 lb injectors and who know whos chip.. I passed emissions in pa.. :) I was shocked too.

Hacksaw said:
Mark: That may be your O2 (oxygen) sensor. But, if it passed, just wait till before next time.

I have the heated O2 and I've never noticed a difference, so I may go back to the regular one. I know my BLM's are a bit high and I'm pretty sure I have a vacuum leak, so I gotta do a little TLC on the car someday. I was happy I passed because I want to pull the motor and upscale it over the winter. Steel crank, roller cam, heads, maybe a girdle, etc.

In a cold winter climate like yours, I'd stick with the heated O2 sensor. You'll have fewer too lean/too rich concerns when warming up. The TLC you plan make help that CO. Around here, they would probably fail you at visual check, before actual testing, for retrofitting a heated O2 sensor. Yet, it would probably be much cleaner, especially during warm up.

Black Box wrote:

It is interesting, as much as people interpret hot rods and muscle cars to be polluting, smoke-belching demons, our cars actually run pretty clean. Gotta love computer controls and EFI.

Right on there. If a hot rod is in good shape, it's not a gross polluter. Now, convincing those who write & run the smog tests that is another question. There's some bone stock vehicle of all types that are much worse than a well built rod.

-Mike H.

CT Emmisions

I passed my test on monday 10/31/2005 with my twin cat system. I have,

Stage II engine with stage II heads
Y2K turbo
5" downpipe reduced to 3.5" exhaust
Fast fuel management
70 MM TB
96# injectors
Solid roller cam 600+ lift 242 duration @ .050
8.5-1 compression
Mobil 93 octane
No special program or voodoo magic for emmisions.

Attachments

• Emmision 002.jpg
    Emmision 002.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 491
I'm may try and pass my other car with the FAST system and no cat because the car does not have one. I heard of a few people that did it but I'd rather have the cat.

bitt, that is impressive. That's some serious hardware on your car, and it still passes! :eek: You tune the car yourself?

salvage, what's this EGR pulser you're talking about?

Fast System

I tune the car myself. Believe it or not, I started out making an emmision program that ran lean in the lower cells of the fuel map but It ran so much better than what I had, so I adjusted it to my street and race programs. Also found that with the FAST system and wide band O2, The car actualy drives better with the cat. Tip-in throttle response is really good. I think its because the added back-pressure keeps the O2 hot and reacts faster.

turbo bitt...is the emissions test done on a dyno?...like here in AZ...if so I'd like to get more info about your cat setup and how you passed without an EGR...that's the only part I'd be concerned about since I'm running the GN1 heads...

The EGR pulser is for my car with the Translator + and no EGR in the chip.

It's a small box I made that plugs into the factory EGR harness and then into the EGR itself. Easy to hide under the coil pack or near the EGR tied to a harness. ;)

Pulses the solenoid at about 30% Duty Cycle above idle TPS conditions, .55Volts I think, but these settings can be adjusted inside, doubting I will ever need to touch them however.

I'm going to try it this winter when I bring the 2nd car in for emissions.

Obviously the EGR valve and solenoid must still work on the car for this setup.

Many chips these days don't pulse the EGR at all however, so they aren't so emissions friendly.

No EGR for me

It is correct that I don't have an egr valve. The cam is very large and may have some internal EGR effect. I am using the stock cat with the front cut off and modified to accept the 3.5" exhaust. The other cat is a 3.5" aftermarket cat that I forgot the brand name on. I welded the four bolt flange on the second cat to mate up with the stock cat. I also keep the car running at the emmision station so that the cats stay good and hot.

Well went to get inspected today in Cheshire with the WE4, salvageV6.

Put the 3" Random Tech. cat. on and my EGR pulser that triggers around .55 volts TPS and does about 35% egr function fixed.

Damm state inspector was in the booth too. :eek:

Good thing he was an old guy and was just checking the shop and not my car. :D

Took a while but they had the whole shop over there trying to figure out all the stuff that was on the car. :p

They got the NOS part wrong lol. :cool:

Anyway it passed even with the state inspector gasping for air in the booth, he came all the way up front to avoid the fumes lol.

HC was 32 out of 132

CO% was .01 out of .42

NOX was 75 out of 921

The NOX improved from 911 out of 921 to 75 out of 921 so I think the EGR pulser box worked just great.

Gonna use it next time, but you have to make sure your EGR isn't stuck as well, I had to pull mine off and clean it all out, when it doesn't get pulsed or driven by the chip or if your car isn't used much it can get stuck and not operate.

Simple 555 timer PWM pulser to get EGR to work with the Translator system and Extender Extreme chip for 55 injectors.