Wrong.. spark plugs ?

turbo1962

I have be running AC CR44ts at 35 gap at 25#of boost, car seems to run ok, are these robbing me of power. looks like everybody is using a cooler plug like the cr42:confused: i picked up a set of cr42ts today was going to gap at 32.

i am surprised that the plugs arent getting blown out with that gap. i run .030 on a autolite 23 or an ngk ur5's

i am surprised that the plugs arent getting blown out with that gap. i run .030 on a autolite 23 or an ngk ur5's

Do you mean physically blown out of the head? I had an autolite plug do that and I thought the plug was defective. If I remember correctly, threaded part stayed in the head and porcelain part broke, leaving the plug wire just dangling. Can't remember the gap but was probably around .032. I was accelerating when it happened but the pedal was not floored. I checked the other plugs and the porcelain was cracked on another one. I quit using Ford plugs after that.

Do you mean physically blown out of the head? I had an autolite plug do that and I thought the plug was defective. If I remember correctly, threaded part stayed in the head and porcelain part broke, leaving the plug wire just dangling. Can't remember the gap but was probably around .032. I was accelerating when it happened but the pedal was not floored. I checked the other plugs and the porcelain was cracked on another one. I quit using Ford plugs after that.
no i meant the spark getting blown out but wow yours is a new one

I don't know why there is so much chatter about spark "blow out" with respect to running a .035 gap. Every time I click on a spark plug thread... "spark blowout" seems to come up. :confused:

Guys... I can GUARANTEE you are not seeing "spark blowout" with a .035" gap. :p

Spark "blow out" is a term used when the spark is weakend or snuffed-out under extreme conditions in the combustion chamber. This generally happens when running a very high compression motor (14-1+), a ton of boost (30psi+) or a sh!tload of nitrous with a LARGE plug gap... say .045-.060" and an ignition system not capable of firing a spark across that gap under these conditions.

.035" is generally the gap chosen to work best under these extreme conditions. If you start closing the gap much more than that, you are doing more harm than good... exposing LESS spark intensity to the A/F mixture.

The only motors I've seen that run better with a gap smaller than .035" are usually started with a pull rope.

I've ALWAYS run my Turbo Buicks with R42 plugs gapped at .035", using BONE STOCK ignition systems.
I've NEVER had so much as a little stutter or ignition miss... running boost levels upwards of 30psi sometimes... this includes 100hp shots of nitrous, dual nozzle alky system, etc...

Some of you guys like to overengineer or overcomplicate these cars when it REALLY isn't necessary.
Running a colder plug like the R42's, gapped at .035", will help to suppress and prevent detonation...unlike the R44's... and they will do it well.
That's the only issue at hand here.

This usually happens when you use crappy spark plug sockets and break the porcelain while tightening them. :D