WTF?!?!? Installed water temp gauge, sensor leaks like Niagara

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
I just finished installing my mechanical water temp gauge on my 85 hot-air GN. I bought the gauge used from someone on turbobuick.com, along with a bunch of other ones. It came looking jsut like any other water temp gauge ive seen before: a 1.5" long temp probe with a black insulated wire coming out the back going to the gauge, with a sliding nut with a hole in the middle (for the wire to go through) to screw it into place. Well, when I installed it in my car, i noticed that when the nut was tightened alll the way down, there was still soem play in the black wire (like i could push/pull it about a half inch in and out of the nut/sensor bung) which i thought was odd... and the second I started it up, water came shooting out of the hole in the nut (around the edge of the balck wire). Looking at it, it seems the sensor would need to be sandwiched firrmly between the nut on one side, and the bung in the block on the other to seal properly, which mine is not, even when the nut is tightened all the way. I figure I'm either isntalling it in the wrong place, or i ahve the wrong sensor. I didnt know there were different version of these, i sorta thought it was a one size fits all sorta deal. Where I installed it was the horizontal hole just under my thermostat, where there used to be a sensor with one wire coming from it (I was told this was the sensor for my idiot light). Any help would be greatly appreciated...

thats why i bought electrical sport comp gauges and wired them in. all you can do is see if there is a replacement sensor from the manufacture and replace it.

I went to all the local hardware,auto part stores with NO LUCK finding the right adapter.I finally opted to just buy a NEW Sunpro water temp gauge.$16.00 out the door.And to think,ALL I needed was the damn reducer bushing in the new kit.Boy am I stupid!All better now though!There just comes a point when driving to a different store in hope of finding a fitting no one carries,it just easier to buy the whole kit. Good luck.

any pictures of this installation or simple ez steps to hook up this gauge ? any step by step would be kool i wanna get mine on already thanx

Well, if you bought the water temp gauge new, its really pretty easy, as it probably comes with all the neccesary hardware in the kit. All you gotta do is unscrew the old sensor for your idiot light, which (Assuming you have a hot-air engine) is located just below your thermostat housing... its a horizontal hole that faces the front of the car... theres a sensor there with one wire coming out. Unscrew that, then screw in your gauge sensor. Youll need ana adapter bushing/fitting to get it to seal properly, that should come with your kit. The nut on the gauge will actually screw in to the sensor bung, but it doesnt seat the shoulder of the sensor part up against the nut, so it leaks like a sieve... when you screw on the bushing to the nut on the sensor, it seats is properly, then you screw the whole assembly into the block (its kinda hard to sxplain, but trust me, its real easy). Then just mount the gauge wherever you want, and youre done... The only downside is that you lose your idiot light on the dash (there may be a way to rig things up so it still works, but if so, i have no idea how to do it) . But then again, if you monitor your gauges that shouldnt be an issue (and if you dont monitor them, why spend the money on em?)

If you bought the guage used (like i did) it may not come with the adapter bushing thingie you need, in which case you can go buy a cheapo temp gauge for like 15-20 bucks and just take the adapter out of that (if youre a lil sneaky, you8 might even be able to return it without the adapter to get yer money back) or if you have a good conter guy at your local NAPA, they sell jsut the adapter... i know my NAPA didnt have it in stock, but the guy found the thing i needed, and got one in 2-3 days... i dont remember the price, but it wasnt much (like maybe 5 bucks or so)

Its a very simple job.I bought a NEW water temp gauge.It will come with the correct adapter you will need as they put 3 of them in the kit.1 for each possible engine application.I routed the water temp sensor lead through the firewall behind the brake pedal.I had to push out a rubber stopper thats already there to make the hole.I routed the sensor lead up the driver fender well staying close to the fender.Make sure you keep it away from the steering shaft and exhaust headers.I jumped the sensor over to the engine right where the coil pack/ign.mod. sits.I first removed the coil pack/ign.mod. bracket so it was out of the way.Now you can see the dummy light sensor clearly and can get to it.It is the sensor just below the thermostat housing with a 1 wire clip going to it,pointing straight out towards radiator.Remove wire,take out sensor.Coolant will leak everywhere if you dont drain radiator a little first.Choose the correct adapter and install it where you took sensor out.I put some thread tape on it before I installed mine.Screw the sensor into the adapter and your done.I ran the sensor line under the coil/ign.mod. bracket to keep it hidden and tidy.HTH

hey thanx for that detailed info from both of u very helpful so i guess im 2 gauges down and a few more to learn to install lol i have my boost and water down now thanx