Yall might hate me

junction34

I am just curios but how hard is it to stick an 86-87 drivetrain into an hot-air. I know people have done and was wondering what problems you will face and how much will something like this cost.
I hope yall all dont stop talking to me I just got my first turbo-buick and i am just looking at options. Thanks guys.

It isnt a huge difference, but there will be some alterations you will have to make....

Computer, wire harness, radiator support, electic fan, all the motor accessories, have to be added or altered in some way.

you will need the different exhaust components, IC brackets, and IC, the list goes on to little things!!! Air dams and such.......

If you find a decent, running intercooled motor, you will probably spend 1000+ on just the motor alone.... Then you need the accessories and bolt ons.

I have considered the same route a few tiems, as the offer has come up in the past....but for me to go and spend all that time and money to convert over, I could just save a littel bit longer, and go buy an 86-87 T or GN, and save myself from all that work and possible errors.

In the long run, if you want to go fast, buy a hot air for 2500, sink another 5000-6000 in the hot air to get to low twelves, high elevens, with good investments and tuning.... Spend 5 grand on a good running IC car, and for another 1000 or maybe less, you could be at the exact same place with that car, as with a hot air car. If you sink 5 grand in a hot air, you know your car in and out...if yo sink 1000 in your IC car, you know your bolt ons and that is about it....

All a matter of the individual doing the work....How much money, and how fast do you want to go are the questions that have to be asked.

Good luck!!!

John

thanks for the help. Know where i can get some detailed info or someone i can talk to to do this swap who has done it before.

My TType is an '85. I put in a '87 drive train. I did the swap 5 years ago. It was pretty straight forward. I spent about $1800 for the '87 engine and computer. I had to buy the wiring harness from Caspers, about $550. You also have to install a fuel filter somewhere on the car (85 filter is close to the fuel rail, 86-7 are by the gas tank.) I bought a ss fuel line fro Postons $120. Also, the 86-7 uses an electric fan, I bought mine from a local speedshop for around $100. My 85 had the brakes that operated off of the steering pump. I converted to vacuum brakes, about $80 at a local junkyard. If you want A/C, well thats another issue. The 84-5 heater boxes are different than the 86-7. I bought a 86-7 box for $100 but never put it in. All in all, I think I spent about $3000 doing the swap. In hind sight, I would have just sold my car and bought a '86-7. Unless your car is absolutely cherry or has value to you, sell it and buy an intercooled car.

Hope that helps

just got done with mine and i just built a 87 engine from scratch and parted out the 84 engine also used the 84 trans.

what all do i need to buy? I am wanting to buy evrything seperately and build the engine myself. I want to buy a bare block bore and hot tank it. I heard about mounting the stock intercoler in front of the radiator and then using a sbc radiator. I live in texas and will definently need some ac.