Yank converters

I run a Yank....and I like it. And there is no doubt that Mike will work with you. He bought a GN, 4-5 new turbo's from John Craig, a couple diff sets of inj's, etc to develop a good converter for us.

Bob

I run a 10" Yank that gives great spoolup with my pt54, but the two times I tried locking the converter it just squealed and the rpms didn't drop (at least they quit rising for 5-7 mph :)). Go to the transmission forum and do a search for "ijames" to see some long posts I made about my converter.

I'm running a 10" Yank converter and I love it. I've been locking mine at the track and haven't had any problems. The car launches fantastic off the foot brake at 5-6# with 60 fts typically in the low 1.50's. Ditto on Carl's comment about searching the archives - I've made posts in the past with more details.

Jim

So you guys are saying that the Yank converters are finally being built specifically for the GN's and not something designed for a cheby? I know I read about a year ago that they seemed really loose even up top and would have been fine in something that shifted at 6500, but really didn't work with the low end torque of the LC2's. Good to hear that they are another option as far as TC's go since I have heard nothing but praise for them in other vehicles.

1badTTA (whoever you are), I'm the one who said that about my converter. I think it would be better if I could shift at 5500-6000 instead of 5000. I wanted a 3000 stall but Yank sent me a 3200 or so stall because they thought "it would spool better without having to sit at high boost on the line for very long" (and that's after me sending back my first converter twice, and a total of about 9 months after my card was charged with no Yank in my car). My biggest complaint with Yank is the way they don't communicate and do what they think is best, unilaterally. I'm still running that converter because 1, I have it installed, and 2, I don't want to spend more $$$. I plan to go to better heads and a cam sometime soon, so will be turning more rpms, and then I'll see how it works. I do regret not getting a PTS 9/11, and may wind up with one eventually, but I had heard good things about the Yanks and wanted to try something new.

I remember reading about your hassle with getting a descent converter for "our" application. It is good to hear that Mike picked up a GN and is interested enough in them to try one out and see what he missed the first time around. Sorry to hear that you got stuck being the guinnea pig on the deal though.

ummmm Mr Midolo...the post is about Yank converters :D ...plus your car hasnt done anything yet !!!!
guy's thanks for the imput...this is a basic high 10 streeter.. I really hate being the "lets give it a whirl guy"

Originally posted by Grumpy
ummmm Mr Midolo...the post is about Yank converters :D ...plus your car hasnt done anything yet !!!!
guy's thanks for the imput...this is a basic high 10 streeter.. I really hate being the "lets give it a whirl guy"

I guess your computer DOES still work! :)

I hijacked your thread, it's not a 9x11 thread! :p

Done nothing? It's really my first time out with a clean run..110mph is good man! :D

Going to the track rental Friday? I'll be there, hope to get that 11sec slip fo sho'