yet another question,....about speaker location

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
When I got my 6x9's they didn't fit in the rear deck but after some modifcation, nothing was cut or changed to hurt the stability of the car, I got them to fit. But while getting them to fit I thought about putting them in the carpet area below the quarter window. Has anyone done this? I'd like to see a pic if ya got one.

If you look for mcss383s replies on his posts, click on his 86 SS Monte pics in his signature and that will take you to the pics of his 8" midbass pods below the 1/4 window.

yup. follow my sig!

BTW, hey Wiz, I got the JL amp in the other day. DAMN!! that thing is FINE. I can't wait until I get the ZR360 in too. :D

WOW, they are cool looking. Where did you get them made, how much? I wanna a pair. I saw the pick of your caps, with my system running two amps one is 800w and the other 400w, should I have a cap? Would I need 2? All you do is wire then in line with the power wire, right?

Also I mentioned in another post about getting some tweeters for up front, I have the kickpanel pods so there is a spot for them like in your picks. Are they the only small tweeters you have up front or do you have another set up higher on the dash?

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon
WOW, they are cool looking. Where did you get them made, how much? I wanna a pair. I saw the pick of your caps, with my system running two amps one is 800w and the other 400w, should I have a cap? Would I need 2? All you do is wire then in line with the power wire, right?

I got them made at a local shop. I'm not going to say the $$$ cause I got ripped and am still pissed about it several yrs later.....

As far as the caps go, find someone who has them in their car (or go to a shop and ask to demo them). Then just make some jumpers to go between them and your amp and see if you can hear a diff. If you can tell a diff then you need them, if you can't (most likely) then you don't need em. The only reason I have em is because I got them for free. :D

You definatly wouldn't need 2. Like I said I have em cause I got them for free from a friend.

Yeah you just wire them inline with you power feed from the batt going to the amp. Then off the neg terminal take it to a ground (preferably a frame ground).

Also I mentioned in another post about getting some tweeters for up front, I have the kickpanel pods so there is a spot for them like in your picks. Are they the only small tweeters you have up front or do you have another set up higher on the dash?

Nope the only tweets I have are the ones in the kick's. I don't see a need for any others....they get plenty loud just fine. ;)

I agree with not putting anything in the dash, tweeters sound nasty bouncing off the windshield. You will have a nice front stage with kick panel pods or door pods (like mine :D )

So I shouldn't even bother hooking my 3.5's to my head unit? If I was to put tweeters in my kickpanel pods, should I wire them to the 5 1/4 or run them to my H/U? Last question I promise.

if you have amp power going to the 5.25's then just wire them in with those.

The one thing though, you will need to make a x-over to cut out all lower freq's. a 12db/octave passive unit around 3000-3500Hz will do good.

go check www.partsexpress.com
they sell already build 2-way 2nd order (12db/octave) x-overs.

So I shouldn't even bother hooking my 3.5's to my head unit?

You can if you want because its your car but if it where my car, I would not because of the way I like my vehicle to sound. I spent a little time competing in IASCA and actually got to listen to my competitors cars and there is a difference in proper driver aiming.

Thanks for the help and the super fast replies. I know I definately have a place to go when ever I have questions. Thanks

No problem! glad that we can help you a little. If your car sounds good to you then that is all that matters. Like I said before its part opinion and part fact on what is the proper way to set up a vehicles sound :) .