1984 Grand National build thread...complete restore

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
This is an old thread that I have been posting on gbodyforum that I wanted to get posted over here too. Most work has been accomplished over the past nine months. Will be updating both threads from now on

I love the look of the Grand National, this car needs some TLC, and I started taking some steps to get thefrontendbackin order. Next will get the rad support and put in a spare already painted up and then move onto the fender, doors, etc till I make my way around to the other side. Then I need to get into thefloorpansto get them cut in.

new aftermarketheaderpanelgetting ready to be blocked, notice no hole to fill in!!

theheaderpanelthat was on the car was repainted black, it was blue underneath. This tells me why there was a 3.8turbohoodornamenton it

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Re: 1984 Buick Grand National coming back to life!
bytobypon Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 pm
GNheaderpanelunder primer and blocked

more work done this weekend, got the fenders off, the front end dissembled and the engine removed. Now we can start putting it back together after the bumper fillers and sheet metal gets some paint.

Engine in the cradle! And I got all the engine ECM and headlight wiring installed. Tomorrow she will have inner fenders!

What was left over of the old decorated wire looming. Installed some new auveco oem loom

More pics of the engine in the cradle

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 pm
Mocked up my home made CAI kit today. Was able to run 4" into the maf.
ATTACHMENTS

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 pm
And....all finished. Made sure it fit with the header panel in place
ATTACHMENTS

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:16 am
Aftermarket test fitbumperspainted and clear coated today. Wait to install them tomor

Reinforcement and bumper put on today. Also installed the lower valance I picked up from Gbodyparts.
ATTACHMENTS

Back at again...doors finished ready for a wet sanding. Roof welded in and now the sail panels are getting all metal fiberglassed in. Got a couple coats of rage in the sail panel and blending in now. Rockers cleaned up and fixed, stripped, primed, new seam sealer, rock guard and a nice coat of base coat black, next step some euro clear
ATTACHMENTS

Floors are in, bumper fillers arepa intend as well as the mirrors and tag pocket, soon to finish the rear part of the quarters and assemble
ATTACHMENTS

Doors on, making progress to the back of the car now!
ATTACHMENTS

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 pm
Went to replace a lower rear quarter patch today to find 1/8" mud and a shit ton of dents. So re-route.....time to hang a new rear quarter panel
ATTACHMENTS

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm
Since I have been suffering from bronchitis for the past couple weeks I have concentrated my time on mechanicals instead of making dust.

So, update. New fuel pump and hot wire kit directly. New 3" RJC exhaust....its a monster. All the trans lines hooked up, tranny in, engine gone over, tweek here zip tie there, and she started right up last night for the first time. Now to learn how to tune this thing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmcRqCX ... e=youtu.be
ATTACHMENTS

tobyp
Royal Smart Person
bytobypon Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 am
Windowstinted!! Just put the ones in to see how they looked.

Will be putting umi complete suspension and coil over suspension on all 4 corners soon
ATTACHMENTS

decided to do some more painting. It was a nice day so I decided to open the garage to do some paint removing.....bad idea

the trunk turned out good.

Started removing the paint on the passenger side qarter

and.......mud, dents, lots of them you can see where the studs were welded....what a mess

So,, time to cut the front part of the quarter out.

Go to one of my parts cars to get a quarter

but.....before I can put the quarter in...got to repair it this one had rust and mud around the wheel well

Finally get a chance to fit the new quarter patch in place

And I got most of the welding done, time to quit.....SO much for painting most of the day...ugh.....

more progress made in the wheel wells, some small rust taken care of. Pass side all stripped of paint and let the new body filler process begin. Seat brackets welded on the drivers side. A few pics of theUMIcontrolarmsand the Viking double adjustable coil overs as well. Start on them this week.

Frontcoilover suspension and UCA, LCA are on. Easy, but took a LONG time to get it all set straight. I love the way you can lower and raise the car.

Before

after

Some images of the suspension and coil overs

on to the passenger side and some images as I went through the installation

and the stance after I cranked them down a bit, cant wait till I get the rear end in and can adjust all 4 corners....make her low......she's a little dusty, needs a wash....

Got a chance to spend some time covering the rear seats. THey turned out very very nice

before

after

before

after

installed pictures

making marker marks where the rings were helps determining pleats

More pics of me wrapping the LS seats. This seat back took a bit of learning but its close. Ill be ripping the rings out to put some more foam in thecenterpadsas well as the shoulders. The factory stuff is a little crushed down