1984 Grand National build thread...complete restore

got the sway,drag,auto cross bar put on last night. I was faithful to the HR Parts version on thecutlassso I wanted to try all UMI setup on the GN

So aligning the hood I made the cardinal sin of releasing the hinge with the strong arm attached
BLAM.gif

Blaam....Omg

So...... more paint and body work.

Then the plates came in today and I laughed.... it's Soooo true.

Started the electric fans setup today. It starts with a 99-04 Dodge intrepid dual fan setup. A piece of 3/4" angle iron and a welder

Made a mock setup with some spare parts in the basement to make sure the measurements for the bottom brace is correct.

Make sure to grab the correct rubber bushings for the 3 core setup

Brace looks accurate

Brace all welded up and ready to go, if the relays come in tomorrow Ill get it wired up. THese two fans running are like a beechwood turbo prop

I cut the bottom mounts off, and make a special bracket for the top two to the radiator support

Started the electric fans setup today. It starts with a 99-04 Dodge intrepid dual fan setup. A piece of 3/4" angle iron and a welder

Made a mock setup with some spare parts in the basement to make sure the measurements for the bottom brace is correct.
Toby I'd like to commend you on a wonderful job take your time and keep up the great work. I am an original owner of a 85 and you are going to feel great when you bring it to Bowling Green for the Nationals. When do you find time to work to pay the bills? Good job! I currently have a t62/66 turbo being built for my car hope to get it next week sometime. Trying to get it in the 10's. John ,I live in Bowling Green please keep us informed.

Make sure to grab the correct rubber bushings for the 3 core setup

Brace looks accurate

Brace all welded up and ready to go, if the relays come in tomorrow Ill get it wired up. THese two fans running are like a beechwood turbo prop

I cut the bottom mounts off, and make a special bracket for the top two to the radiator support

Finished installing the dual electric fans, with the custom mount last night. I wired both fans to have their own seperate relay with the switch activating both from the coolant temp switch in the intake. Now onto getting the engine ready for assembly. Heads from Champion showed up, the Alky Control showed up and the ported intake from Champion showed up. Time to make some progress with the heartbeat. I also put the big ass 36mm hollow sway bar from a WS6 TA on the front as well

Last edited:
Nice! I used an fbody radiator, where did you get those rubber bushings?

How hard was it to wire in those electric fans?

Not hard at all to wire in the fans, basic electric 101. As for the bushings, i have parted so many cars, i have buckets of them

Not hard at all to wire in the fans, basic electric 101. As for the bushings, i have parted so many cars, i have buckets of them
Are the bushings for under the radiator or at the top between the support and the radiator?

I can't remember what I did, I imagine I used the stock bushings or if the radiator came with some. I don't remember lol

Did you use a Dual Relay Fan kit from JEGS or SUMMIT? I like the clean installation. You did a ROCK STAR job on this car... Keep up the good work and ENJOY the seat time ;-)

THanks Chuck,

I just made my own relay harness and the relays I bought them from ebay for 12$, so no....If you know basic electric you can make a harness for less than 15$

THanks Chuck,

I just made my own relay harness and the relays I bought them from ebay for 12$, so no....If you know basic electric you can make a harness for less than 15$

I like your work. I think I am going to use a thermostat to turn on at 185 and turn off at 170. JEGS has dual relay kit for $74.99

Hi, i'm taking my car down to bare metal and repainting it. Did you remove the metal peice in between the trunk lid and the rear window, or just leave it in place? I fee like I should remove it so I can properly tape off the rear window and clean any grease and dirt out.

Just got done looking at your build Toby. I have the exact same car which I'm doing a full frame off resto on. I'll be converting to the 87 drive train as well. Always loved the Leer Seiger interior.

Just got done looking at your build Toby. I have the exact same car which I'm doing a full frame off resto on. I'll be converting to the 87 drive train as well. Always loved the Leer Seiger interior.

If it is the one with the grey powder coated frame, you have a VERY nice build going on there. I saw it last night prowling around. Keep up the great progress. Make sure to stiffen the frame where you can and put the GNX back seat brace in, it helps us with the ttops and large HP cars.

If it is the one with the grey powder coated frame, you have a VERY nice build going on there. I saw it last night prowling around. Keep up the great progress. Make sure to stiffen the frame where you can and put the GNX back seat brace in, it helps us with the ttops and large HP cars.
Yeah Toby, that's me. I didn't weld on the frame, but I will be installing the bolt on braces that connect the upper and lower rear control arms, the braces for the shock towers, and the front triangulated braces too. Once the body is back on the frame, I'll be welding in the back seat brace.