2015 Grand National & GNX

Love this comment:

"The vehicles themselves are very suited for young driving habits. Good fuel economy, performance, nice looking," said Rebecca Lindland, owner of Rebel Three Consulting of Greenwich, Conn.
"But it's still not cool to be in a bar and say you have a Buick."
:confused:

True. That's why I always stress that I drive an Oldsmobile...station wagon. :cool:

coupes aren't big sellers these days unless they are marketed as sporty cars for the younger crowd and middle aged men having a midlife crisis. and Buick doesn't aim for the younger crowd or the midlife crisis crowd- GM already has those covered with the Camaro and Vette...

the 04-06 GTO was a test to see if there was a market for a rwd mid size 2 door with a V8 engine in the US.. they sold as many as they wanted, and ended production when they had planned on it- right when they did the switch over to the next generation Holden Monaro. the success of that car led to the Camaro getting developed on the next generation of that chassis, as well as the G8 and the new Caprice and SS 4 doors..

Then who were they aiming at when the original GN came out?
And I don't know what cities you guys live in, but in Michigan, every other car is a coupe. Not everyone wants a 4 door. I admit, they're very convenient, but the younger, sportier side of me will never die. I will never solely own a 4 door. I'll always have a 2 dr. in the garage (e.g. my gn)

That's the rub. Nobody buys coupes unless they're buying niche cars. Buick doesn't want a niche car. They want a big seller that they can put a halo on with the GN and GNX trim packages.

The path that makes most sense is what Dennis mentioned: a new Regal based on the Holden Commodore/Chevy SS platform. It will be four-door, because that's what sells. Americans are fat, and fat people don't like crawling in and out of the back seat of a coupe when they go to lunch with their friends. People don't want to struggle to get kids in and out of a child seat. I often take my daughter to car shows, and wrestling her seat into the back of my GN, and then getting her in is a PITA. These are all things that factor heavily in a family's choice to buy a car, and Buick wants them to buy their cars. They want to sell hundreds of thousands of $35K base four-door Regals to people pulled into the showroom by a $45K Grand National and a $55K GNX.

You guys demanding a coupe need to chill out. Pontiac tried it with the GTO. It failed. They won't do it again. If you want a coupe, get a Camaro or a Corvette.

Then let the fat asses get a Lincoln or Caddy. Leave the nice cars (camaros, vettes, mustangs and original turbo buicks) to us thinner people. Nobody buys coupes? There's a Camaro and Mustang every freaking 10 feet. Where are you getting your info from?
People don't want to struggle? That's cool; that's why they make mini vans. Gn's aren't for child seats anyhow.
The logic here doesn't make any sense. It would be like saying they should make the Corvette a 4 door because it's easier to get out of. That's stupid. If coupes didn't sell, the Mustang and Camaro would have went out of business YEEEARS ago. They never did. Why? Because 4 doors are GAY!!!!! Friends don't let friends turn original 2 doors into gay 4 doors...

And if this car has anything less than 500 hp I'm going to be doubly disappointed. Our original GN's were the baddest on the street hands down in their days. This new one better fill the same shoes.

Then let the fat asses get a Lincoln or Caddy. Leave the nice cars (camaros, vettes, mustangs and original turbo buicks) to us thinner people. Nobody buys coupes? There's a Camaro and Mustang every freaking 10 feet. Where are you getting your info from?
People don't want to struggle? That's cool; that's why they make mini vans. Gn's aren't for child seats anyhow.
The logic here doesn't make any sense. It would be like saying they should make the Corvette a 4 door because it's easier to get out of. That's stupid. If coupes didn't sell, the Mustang and Camaro would have went out of business YEEEARS ago. They never did. Why? Because 4 doors are GAY!!!!! Friends don't let friends turn original 2 doors into gay 4 doors...

And if this car has anything less than 500 hp I'm going to be doubly disappointed. Our original GN's were the baddest on the street hands down in their days. This new one better fill the same shoes.

People like you (and me) are unfortunately the vast minority of people who buy cars. The sad truth is that most of the population right now wants to drive bland, economic, 4 door cars. Even those who want modern muscle gravitate towards 4 door cars. If you want a fast car and have a family, a 4 door is very desirable. Would I buy a 4 door GN? Probably not. But for every one person who wants a 2 door coupe, there are probably 4 people who want a 4 door sedan. Around here (AZ) pretty much all you see is 4 door sedans. Before gas prices went up the streets were riddled by Tahoes with 22" rims and rediculously lifted Diesel trucks (aka Brodozers).

People like you (and me) are unfortunately the vast minority of people who buy cars. The sad truth is that most of the population right now wants to drive bland, economic, 4 door cars. Even those who want modern muscle gravitate towards 4 door cars. If you want a fast car and have a family, a 4 door is very desirable. Would I buy a 4 door GN? Probably not. But for every one person who wants a 2 door coupe, there are probably 4 people who want a 4 door sedan. Around here (AZ) pretty much all you see is 4 door sedans. Before gas prices went up the streets were riddled by Tahoes with 22" rims and rediculously lifted Diesel trucks (aka Brodozers).

Even people that WANT a coupe will often be forced to buy a 4 door because of economics. Cars are expensive. Very few people can afford to have a toy car and a daily driver. The DD needs to meet all the needs and as many of the wants of the customer as possible.

So, you get a 420 horsepower sedan.

I think there should always be both.. I love coupes i think cars that are supposed to be coupes should be coupes and 4 door cars are for those that dont like them I like the impala ss 94-96,the G8 and The Cts-v Four door and wagon and the grand prix gtp.....But i also Love my gn, t type , and two door yukon gt,.....My ram Carhaul duallie truck is a four door cause i need the gvw and the space... There are a lot of coupes in mich and illinois but in places like ny,jersey (states with $$$) The majority of what you see is euro junk 4 door econobox bic lighter paperweight cars.....

Should domestic companies make cars to fit the market sure...Should they cannabalize legendary nameplates and butcher cars that are great for the sake of the yuppie scum non car people and run off the the people that the car was originally styled for anyway Hell no...Should they not manufacture certain cars cause these same people are afraid of supposed competition that wont exist anyway Hell no.. Should the auto manufacturers use platforms that will support mulitple cars with some design changes Yes.....

If you wanna drive a bland underpowered overpriced 4 door bratwurst gizmobox thats your option....Does that mean should have to deal with a 4 door grand national, camaro , challenger ,charger rt (yea i said it) montecarlo ss, mustang etc.....Hell no!!! If they can make multiple cadillac cts cars they can make a few buick regals....

I pray GM allows Buick to do it right. And I mean "right" by doing a GN all black with 2 doors, a GNx all black as well with extra bells and whistles with @ 25% more HP/TQ. And offering a Limited or T-Type again with alternative colors but with the same drivetrain. In other words, continue the legacy but offer it in an updated platform.

On a side note, for those complaining about GM screwing with the Grand National design and legacy let me remind everyone of the 1986 Buick LeSabre Grand National of which only 112 were made:

003.jpg

Wow, the coveted GN LeSabre. I'd choke the last 5 posters in this thread to get my hands on that car. Even though they weren't a performance car, it's an important part of our Buick history. I can't wait till I get my house with a 3 (or 4) car garage in the next few years. Going to start an old late 80's T type Somerset, Century, or 84 & below turbo Regal T resto project.

All I know is, is that I'm going to be frustrated if GM picks the 4 door family segment for the new GN, rather than the already existing (that people still think doesn't exist, even though mustangs and camaros sell in the segment by the thousands per month) 2 door segment instead. The GN was never meant to be a family sedan, and shouldn't be turned into one now...

...The GN was never meant to be a family sedan, and shouldn't be turned into one now...

I differ with you on this. In the 80's people bought 2 door family cars bc who cares how hard it is for the kids to get in back? And four doors just didn't look that good then. We now have attractive 4 door sedans that we've found can also be sporty. This is EXACTLY what a GN represented in the 80's. The two door regal is very much a family car. We had a 80 Coupe DeVille, 83 regal coupe with carb 3.8, 77 two door Impala, 87 T-bird, and many others. We didn't get a sedan until I was in college and I'm the youngest in my fam. But that's when four doors, domestic anyway, started to make ok handling and styled sedans so my old man came around. Fast forward to today, the Cadillac ATS is a great looking car and will be the base of the new GN. Would I prefer a two door? Yes, but if making them four door only is the the only way to make a business case in today's environment, then so be it. A four door GN, as long as it's fast and nice, will be a winner in my book. Rear wheel drive is more important to me than the number of doors.

My baby seat in the back of my TR, and many others I see, is the reminder that this is a family car; it just happens to be wicked awesome in a straight line!

I believe it will be on the same platform as the recently introduced Chevy SS (you know, similar to how the regal and Monte SS shared) and that 4 doors will most likely be on this car. Therefore it will look like this picture. *note, I added an RJC intercooler. ;)

View attachment 185425

Jason better get busy making more IC's, they're gonna make about 40,000 of these right? lol :D

2dr vs 4 dr Hmmmm?

I have two toys, the 86GN and my wifes 08 Sky Redline both 2dr.

I have two daily drivers (well one is somewhat daily) a 98 GS and a 05 Rainier both are 4 dr.

See there you go clear as mud.

The logic always makes sense. And the logic here is that GM is in business to sell cars and if 4 doors are what people want, that's what they will build, simple as that, like it or not. I'm not saying this because I like 4 door cars but only because unfortunately, the market for 2 door coupes is rather unsignificant when compared with the market for 4 door cars. :(
As for the Mustang and Camaro, let's not forget that the Camaro went out of production for a few years before being brought back and sales are still a fraction of what the Mustang's sales are.:rolleyes:
And last, since when do sexual preferences have something to do with cars?? (''4 doors are GAY!!!'') :confused:
Would I buy a 4 door GN? No because I find most 4 door GM cars u-g-l-y, but that's me. I think that Ford currently has the best looking 4 door cars on the market.

Claude.

The logic always makes sense. And the logic here is that GM is in business to sell cars and if 4 doors are what people want, that's what they will build, simple as that, like it or not. I'm not saying this because I like 4 door cars but only because unfortunately, the market for 2 door coupes is rather unsignificant when compared with the market for 4 door cars. :(
As for the Mustang and Camaro, let's not forget that the Camaro went out of production for a few years before being brought back and sales are still a fraction of what the Mustang's sales are.:rolleyes:
And last, since when do sexual preferences have something to do with cars?? (''4 doors are GAY!!!'') :confused:
Would I buy a 4 door GN? No because I find most 4 door GM cars u-g-l-y, but that's me. I think that Ford currently has the best looking 4 door cars on the market.

Claude.

2dr or 4dr I can show a lot of folks what the tail lights look like on my 98 GS 4 dr! So you don't have to worry about seeing the whole car. lol I agree with Claude, Gay indeed I don't think so!

They should make a 6 door , that will shut us all up. Lol

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The one thing I remember growing up was everybody always saying it was cheaper to have two doors than four doors. Easier to fix and less money to replace. Those same people also said power doors and windows where crap. Don't get a car with those options. It seems now everything is quite the reverse from 25 yrs ago??

The one thing I remember growing up was everybody always saying it was cheaper to have two doors than four doors. Easier to fix and less money to replace. Those same people also said power doors and windows where crap. Don't get a car with those options. It seems now everything is quite the reverse from 25 yrs ago??

Talking about power windows, locks etc. you don't see much manual anymore on new cars but there are a few small compact stripped down models.

This is a true story I swear. I operate a car rental facility, I had a well to do young lady (early 20's) come into my office and rent a economy car while her car was being fixed. I think she got a Toyota Yaris, it had crank windows, manual side mirrors and no power locks. Of course it had power steering, brakes etc. but no amenities not even a key fob.
One of my employee's did the walk around on the car with her and she was ready to go we thought? She came back into the office and wanted to know why there wasn't a key fob and how do you roll the windows down I can't find the button. I swear, I think she had ever even seen crank windows before. :confused:

I love my 4DR...
But the GN must be true to its time.. 2dr

Attachments

• 20130517_182456.jpg
    20130517_182456.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 260
I hope GM just leaves this as it is, a big internet hoax. Only reason for reviving trademarks is $$$$. THey don't want anyone taking it from them. For the first time I saw a newer black regal T on the highway. Yeah it was nice but I think the outside styling of the car is about as cool as a pair of wrangler jeans on the clearance rack at walmart. Ever since pontiac was killed off I have no lust for any GM cars. All the budget performance cars were killed off at the same time. If it came down to us getting a new regal t or our gtp I'd take the gtp. Rattles and poor fit and finish and all that. Even the newer trucks are beginning to look lame. I hope our gtp lasts forever because I honestly have no idea what I will buy when the time comes, and when it does I plan on buying something new. I like the new camaros but I think the price tag is rediculous when I can get something older and make it just as good.

They both need to be 2 doors....i think they should not be built at all or change the name at least. How many of each are they going to make. Are they only going to be available for 1 year?