3.5 THDP

no way dude
i was as happy as a fat kid in a candy store.
BUT
the pipe, A-arm and floor pan weren't as happy together.
maybe i should wait till the "Doc" looks at the car ?? before i get crazy.

Was this for the chevelle?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What have you changed? I have never heard of one of these not fitting. Mine slides right into place...better then my 3 inch did.

LOL
The car is ALL OE with 77K miles
the 3 inch pipe that came off of the car hits all over the place.
This pipe (3.5) hits the floor board (heat shield) and control arm and i don't want to massage the pipe or floor board.

LOL
The car is ALL OE with 77K miles
the 3 inch pipe that came off of the car hits all over the place.
This pipe (3.5) hits the floor board (heat shield) and control arm and i don't want to massage the pipe or floor board.
Ok...do you mean after its in place or while trying to fit it in? I had to remove my heatshield from the floor until after it was in place. After that it was fine. My pipe has a very small dent where it hit an A arm on a different car, but it sits great in my car. Do not forget you can oval the holes on your turbo header mount and downpipe flange a bit to twist it and get clearance. You don't need much twist to make a huge difference 4 feet away. A small clockwise twist on the header mount and a small counterclockwise twist on the downpipe flange will prob get you spot on.
If you sell it...try a different one. Might be just a slight difference to get it to fit.

Ok...do you mean after its in place or while trying to fit it in? I had to remove my heatshield from the floor until after it was in place. After that it was fine. My pipe has a very small dent where it hit an A arm on a different car, but it sits great in my car. Do not forget you can oval the holes on your turbo header mount and downpipe flange a bit to twist it and get clearance. You don't need much twist to make a huge difference 4 feet away. A small clockwise twist on the header mount and a small counterclockwise twist on the downpipe flange will prob get you spot on.
If you sell it...try a different one. Might be just a slight difference to get it to fit.

Great i am the only dummy with a THDP that doesn't fit:mad: LOL
thanks for the info.
Ill try and re-fit it today and post up pictures of whats going on.
BUT it looks like the end of the pipe has to come up to clear the A-arm AND to line up the bolts to the exhaust housing.
thanks for the clocking idea.

could also be a combination of bad motor mounts and bad body bushings????
Without a doubt. My HR mounts raised my old 3 inch pipe about an inch over the A arm. I also added the RJC rear engine brace so the pipe would not hit the frame when the engine torqued over.
It's called "The Hundred Dollar Insurance". In order for you to insure your $600 pipe from damage...you need $200 mounts and a $100 brace...
So basically you have a $900 modification.

Without a doubt. My HR mounts raised my old 3 inch pipe about an inch over the A arm. I also added the RJC rear engine brace so the pipe would not hit the frame when the engine torqued over.
It's called "The Hundred Dollar Insurance". In order for you to insure your $600 pipe from damage...you need $200 mounts and a $100 brace...
So basically you have a $900 modification.

this. I put in the 2 inch tall valve covers and they were a pain on the old motor mounts. after I changed to the h/r mounts, the valve cover on the passenger side doesnt hit the a/c heat shield and access to the oil pan is much better. GET THOSE MOTOR MOUNTS!!! Worth every penny.

When you get tired of trying to fit that downpipe, you can give it to me and I will put it in storage with my other stuff....lol

I have a few 3.5" pipes at the shop, try them and see if they fit any better. But body bushing, engine mounts and turbo position need to be looked at first as we discussed.....

Glad to see you have 2 black Grand Nationals....LOL

lol
When you get tired of trying to fit that downpipe, you can give it to me and I will put it in storage with my other stuff....lol

I have a few 3.5" pipes at the shop, try them and see if they fit any better. But body bushing, engine mounts and turbo position need to be looked at first as we discussed.....

Glad to see you have 2 black Grand Nationals....LOL

i am going to hold on to this thing until after the HR mounts and poly body bushings get installed.

Yeah I didn't want to install my pipe until I did my motor mounts. Did HR dr side and trans and stock pass side. Also had Eibach springs on the car the pipe fit right in. You just have to turn the pipe while it goes down in.

Yeah I didn't want to install my pipe until I did my motor mounts. Did HR dr side and trans and stock pass side. Also had Eibach springs on the car the pipe fit right in. You just have to turn the pipe while it goes down in.

yeaup going to install the old beat to ship one back on. untilllllllllllllllll

do the tubular uppers and youll gain lots of room ,
cheap enough and you fix the rear bushings that get burnt up for good and the upper ball joints while your at it ,

cheap enough and you fix the rear bushings that get burnt up for good and the upper ball joints while your at it ,

which inexpensive control arms do you recommend?

BTW this has to be the single most expensive mod I've ever done:eek:

Them control arms are super cheap but How safe are they, cracks or all out breaking ?