4.1 stock block build

Mike Licht

I was here first
Since I just got a roller I decided to build a 4.1 since there seems to be lots of interest in them. I got a block locally, We are having some pistons made at Diamond which will become a stocking item for us along with the proper cam bearings that have the oil passage in the back. It will use some billet center main caps, the new Molnar rods and a stock crank. We will post pictures along the way so you can see what we are doing.
Mike

Since I just got a roller I decided to build a 4.1 since there seems to be lots of interest in them. I got a block locally, We are having some pistons made at Diamond which will become a stocking item for us along with the proper cam bearings that have the oil passage in the back. It will use some billet center main caps, the new Molnar rods and a stock crank. We will post pictures along the way so you can see what we are doing.
Mike
What kind of compression numbers are you looking at? The 4.1 pistons sit so far in the hole are you decking the block? The 4.1 I built with hypers was 1.03 in the hole still ran pretty good for a hot air car 11.30 @ 117. See ya! John

That's odd. My 4.1 hypers were .078" in the hole (before I knocked .035" off the deck)

Mike, I'm not heard of Molnar
Mike
Mike, I have never heard of Molnar rods. Will you provide more information please.

Tom Molnar is the man that started K! which was sold to Wiesco. He also designed rods for Oliver and Carillo. He recently started another company called Molnar Technology which makes a superior product tot he current K1 rod. He is a great guy and makes a good product.

Cam bearings are in stock nowshould be on the web site today. Pistons are being made will be about 2 weeks. approx 9 to 1 with 48CC head, 2618 alloy, good pins and rings, pressure ring, bowls mapped to combustion chambers, good stuff.
Mike

got the block deburred and ready to go to machine shop. The 4.1 block needs lots of clean up in the lifter valley and around the mains to prevent cracks, stray chunks of metal floating around and to keep the oil flowing back down. The hole for the turbo oil return was drilled and tapped in the front of the block. I forgot to take pictures (duh) but will take some when I get it back.

Any body know how much power these 4.1 blocks can handle and how about pushing it to a stroker crank LOL .

I would not have a problem putting a stroker in one for a street car. You just would have to watch the boost with a big turbo. low 10's high nines it should last a while, any faster and I think your on borrowed time. detonate it a bunch and it will break easy

Tom Molnar is the man that started K! which was sold to Wiesco. He also designed rods for Oliver and Carillo. He recently started another company called Molnar Technology which makes a superior product tot he current K1 rod. He is a great guy and makes a good product.

Tom Molnar Rods are made in China but all the finishing touches to the RODS are done here in the USA by the man himself, hence his Rods are further more superior than any others rods in the market that tend to have a few defects., good guy to deal with and very knowledgeable.

I guess I should tell what we are doing at machine shop. It is getting 2 center main caps and bored to 4" we decided on 4" for the piston for a couple reasons. Not too many good rings or piston blanks available at 3.985 (.020 over). 4" stuff is VERY common for many applications, I would suggest checking the deck height on these blocks I seems like some of them have been decked quite a bit. If you have one that is we can adjust the piston
Mike

Sweet that bigger bore is really gonna unshroud and breathe easier.
Some hardblok would help stiffen the block and keep things inline, I have experience with it in a 109 and street driving with no issues.
Thanks for posting details on the build and really glad that you are getting back into the TR's as you are one of the guys that was there doing it in back in the day.

Mike, just wanted to say thanks for the build info. These cars are very different from anything else out there...

RemoveBeforeFlight