6.0 diesel first year production questions

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
Fords new 6.0 diesel replacing the 7.3. Anybody have any input or thoughts, exprience with the new motor. I try to stay away from first year production stuff. Drew

I've read of some issues, but message boards do tend to attract people having questions about thier problems. Here's the one I find most informative. Personally I would wait a year or two. The 7.3 went through many minor changes over the years, my '02 is much quieter more powerful than earlier versions. The 6.0 will probably do the same.
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

One issue I have heard is that the turbo placement on the new PSDs precludes the opportunity to upgrade to a larger turbo. That's not likely an issue for all but the most hardcore diesel performance enthusiasts, but I point it out anyways.

The new 6.0s that I drove were nice. Lotsa power but still a big clunky work truck that rides rough for use as a personal use vehicle. Nothing rides like a Sierra. I guess GM has to get something right. Sorta like the old Even a broken clock is right twice a day saying. Anyways, the Fords are nice. Appearance-wise I like them better than the GMs. And the cabins are huge. OK I'm rambling now... :p

I went and test drove a new 6.0 Ford before I bought my GMC 2500HD 4x4 with the Duramax. Man the GMC will run not walk but run away from the 6.0 Ford. I am glad I bought the GMC and not the Ford , I have ride room and a powerfull Diesel...What else is there?

We had issues with the new 6.0 on a calibration problem's as the calibrations were not set for colder weather properly, this caused drivabilty issues. Ford has since recalibrated all the new 6.0's and that issue seems to be fixed.

We also own a GM store and i have to say that GM is having more problems with the Duramax verses our 6.0. We have not seen any major repairs at all on the 6.0, I cannot say the same for the duramx. We have done some engine swaps already in GM for sucked valves, piston and rod issues.

As far as the new Duramax walking away from the new 6.0 NO WAY!!!!! The 6.0 stock can powerbrake and burn the tire off the rim. I have driven both and must say that they are both nice, however i would stick with the 6.0.

Waiting to buy one, Navistar has been making the 6.0 for years, it is only today that we are seeing them in the F platform. It seems to be holding up very well and runs like hell too. ;)

On the durablility issue the same can be said about the 7.3 powerchoke. They are getting about 70,000 miles in these school buses at our bus shop. I hope the 6.0 is better...Maybe I drove one of the 6.0 that was not calibrated?

I wish you was closer by as I would be more than glad to show you what this duramax can do. I spoke to the Chevy dealer and the GMC dealer and they said that have yet to have any real problems out of the duramax. A sensor fail here and there but that was about it...

To be fair to you on my truck ...it is not stock.

6.0 is the way to go!
The new Powerstroke was designed from the ground up to KILL the Duramax.... and thats just what it does.

Powerstroke: 560 ft lbs. / 325 HP

Duramax: 520 ft lbs. / 300 HP

Plus the Powerstroke is engineered, designed, and built in America. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine!

My Duramax-----

416hp
812 tq

I designed it to kill Powerchokes.... Who Cares where it comes from......

New Turbo and Injectors coming soon....

I'll second the Duramax and it to can burn the tires while holding the brake's ask Steve I did it in front of his house:D

Oh Steve I'll stop by Saturday when the "JUICE" is delivered, i hope. I see a heads up race to see what chip is better:cool:

I'll call ya later

Dan

I care were it comes from

Plus the Powerstroke is engineered, designed, and built in America.

My patriotism aside, problems with the 6.0. This engine replaces the 7.3. Problems????????? Drew

Ford: Lets re-design a truck and use 80's front end technology. Lets still put manual locking hubs because we can't make a reliable auto-locking hub. Interior is truck. Old style body rusts in about 5 years in known problem areas, what makes you think they can get it right now. This is why I chose GMC

GM: Well, we can't build a "good" Diesel engine, so lets have Isuzu help... Respectable, some of the most updated technology available. Interior options and creature features give Ford a slap in the face. This is what I paid for.

Others will agree and disagree. I don't really care, these were top reasons and deciding factors in my purchase. I have never regretted making my payment and that is what really counts.

Originally posted by MJRWOOD
6.0 is the way to go!
The new Powerstroke was designed from the ground up to KILL the Duramax.... and thats just what it does.

Powerstroke: 560 ft lbs. / 325 HP

Duramax: 520 ft lbs. / 300 HP

Plus the Powerstroke is engineered, designed, and built in America. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

you guys kill me LOL LOL LOL

last i read those 6.0 powerstrokes were barely putting down anything over 230 horses at the rear tires when they were stock-

that's close to 30% loss of power thru the drivetrain, where as the dodge is only 17% loss or less.

FORD can rate them at anything they want, but i think they are overrated...

i thought everyone knew that when you started to turn up the wick on any diesel, that the cummins motor is the ONLY one built to withstand 1400 ft lbs and stay alive-
point being, STAYING TOGETHER WITHOUT BREAKING!!!

i know not every manufactured truck is alike, but i have witnessed a new duraslug kill 2 turbos with only 33psi of boost-
and that was just a 250 hp box added to it!

i currently own a 2002 dodge cummins, and drive a 99 flowerjoke everyday- BOTH are good trucks, well ok the dodge is alot better ;)
so i got to stick up for the DODGE CUMMINS CAMP :)

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/attachments/codrods2.jpg

this is proof without a doubt that DODGE OWNS ford and chevy-:p
now the one on the left is the chebby, the middle one is the furd, and the large cummins turbo diesel is on the right!!

as long as we all have fun with our diesels, then its all goooood :)

BW

I have not really heard of any problems with the Duramax (we have 2 in our driveway, with no problems). The 6.0, I have heard about many cracked blocks. My duramax ran 16.4 stock, and as of tonight, 14.66 with just a 100hp Predator box. Advertised numbers really don't mean crap, it is what is making it to the wheels, and the potential of the stock components. Now, the best diesel is going to be measured by what can make the most power on stock turbo and injectors, without blowing up. The Durmax has gone over 600hp with a stock turbo, and 800hp while revving to 5000rpm on all production internal parts.

Originally posted by forcefed3.8's
I have not really heard of any problems with the Duramax (we have 2 in our driveway, with no problems). The 6.0, I have heard about many cracked blocks. My duramax ran 16.4 stock, and as of tonight, 14.66 with just a 100hp Predator box. Advertised numbers really don't mean crap, it is what is making it to the wheels, and the potential of the stock components. Now, the best diesel is going to be measured by what can make the most power on stock turbo and injectors, without blowing up. The Durmax has gone over 600hp with a stock turbo, and 800hp while revving to 5000rpm on all production internal parts.

just curious if the duraslugs are still governed at 98 MPH??:rolleyes: :p

HMMM only 800 horses???
wonder how many passes that would last??

got any links to any chevy duramax sites?

Yes, they are governed to 98, but the Predator has the ability to to remove it. It is now limited to 125. What are all of the other trucks limited to?
I love Dodges. I was going to buy a new Cummins, but I want an auto, which both Dodge and Ford can't make for crap. Hell, we are planning to swap either a 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins in my brother's 96 Silverado.
Once the aftermarket hits with the new Cummins and Powerstroke stuff, it is going to get really interesting. Time will tell.
I am very happy with my Duramax. I have respect for all makes of diesels. I even give people in turbo diesel Volvo's the thumbs up.

I also look at it this way. Ford knew they needed to quiet the new Diesel and so did Dodge. The old Cummins sounded like a bulldozer, now it purrs as quiet, maybe even quieter than the Duramax. I guess Dodge got it right.

Now the 6.0 is the loudest Diesel on the market IMHO. Another example of Ford stopping short of the finish line.

I agree that the Cummins is a great Diesel.

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
i know not every manufactured truck is alike, but i have witnessed a new duraslug kill 2 turbos with only 33psi of boost-
and that was just a 250 hp box added to it!

There has never been a single failure of an IHI turbo on a Duramax in Canada....never. I know this because one of my best friend's had to work on one where the guy plugged the line to the wastegate actuator, ran a juicebox at max setting all the time, and injected propane. When the service department called up GM Canada about warranty they told the guy to take a flying **** more or less because they have never had one fail.

Originally posted by Ted A.
I also look at it this way. Ford knew they needed to quiet the new Diesel and so did Dodge. The old Cummins sounded like a bulldozer, now it purrs as quiet, maybe even quieter than the Duramax. I guess Dodge got it right.

Now the 6.0 is the loudest Diesel on the market IMHO. Another example of Ford stopping short of the finish line.

I agree that the Cummins is a great Diesel.

Being in our GM and Ford dealerships. I hate to break the news to you, The Cummins is a real true diesel. If i was to buy a new Diesel Truck it would be a Dodge:rolleyes: You cannot kill that engine period!!!

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
There has never been a single failure of an IHI turbo on a Duramax in Canada....never. I know this because one of my best friend's had to work on one where the guy plugged the line to the wastegate actuator, ran a juicebox at max setting all the time, and injected propane. When the service department called up GM Canada about warranty they told the guy to take a flying **** more or less because they have never had one fail.

Well, im just saying that the stock turbo has been sucked up twice in my buddies duramax and filled the muffler full of oil from running too much boost- (not stock boost level)

obviously they dont fail when the truck is set up for stock boost, but when you up the fuel and turn the turbo up, HIS failed TWICE-

my dodge has 21 psi stock, is set at 31 now, and will run up to 44PSI and still be efficient and not blow up-
i hear all the time where dodge guys just turnbuckle the wastegate cause the turbo is good for 44 psi of boost with just adding a 16cmsqaured exhaust housing :eek:

my new joke for my buddy is buy a DODGE and try to break it!!

he broke his 99 stroke 3 times before the FURD warranty guys said NO MORE-
now he is breaking his chevy just as quick as the ford was-

believe me, this guy is HARD on his trucks...
what abuse he does in 20K is what you and i would do close to 100K

BW