6.0 diesel first year production questions

Take a five hour trip in the back seat of a Dodge Crew Cab. ;)

Face it. Chances are if you are in the market for a diesel it's to actually use it for its intended purpose rather than trying to get 1400 HP out of it. That said, you need to look at the entire package and not just the engine itself. To me the Cummins is a great engine looking for a decent platform. I seem to recall that statement somewhere else. ;)

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
Take a five hour trip in the back seat of a Dodge Crew Cab. ;)

Face it. Chances are if you are in the market for a diesel it's to actually use it for its intended purpose rather than trying to get 1400 HP out of it. That said, you need to look at the entire package and not just the engine itself. To me the Cummins is a great engine looking for a decent platform. I seem to recall that statement somewhere else. ;)

thats why i own a 2002 3500 4x4 H.O. Dodge Diesel- :D

thats 1400 FOOT POUNDS OF TORQUE :p

i think of my dodge like my buick-

right now it has plenty of power, and has the potential for doubling the horsepower and not worry about a huge failure-

since you rode in the back seat of a dodge for 5 hours, were you complaining of the harsh ride?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread

I've never even seriously looked at a Dodge until the 2003's came out because they never offered a crew cab. I am not referring to the ride, although I find both the Ford and Dodge one tons to ride stiff compared to the GM. What I am referring to is the lack of rear seat space in terms of legroom and the ramrod straight backseat. You can tell Dodge messed up just looking at the thing from the outside. The back door is way too small. If your 2002 works for you then I guess rear seat space isn't an issue for you in the first place. ;)

My bad on the 1400 HP....I did know you meant torque...really. :p Point is what are you gonna do with a diesel with double the factory horsepower/torque? You cannot load it up and tow anything with it. And if you want to go fast and your Cummins is faster than your Buicks then you have more serious problems than how much torque the Dodge is making.

you know whats odd DEAN,. i sat in the back of my dodge one day, and it felt a lil cramped... then i sat in the back of a 2002 1500 with 4 real doors-
i think there may be 1 inch more of space for your legs, but that is about it!
who cares, i cant drive it from the back seat :p

as for towing-

im pretty sure that with all the added power, dodge, chevy and ford guys are still towing without major issues.

does D/A dually stand for duramax/allison?

Originally posted by njturbo
You cannot kill that engine period!!!

WRONG!!! My 89 Dodge 4X4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel blew up at 160,000 miles. So don't tell me you can't kill this engine.

Here's some good reading on the new Ford 6.0 Diesel...hehehe

http://flatratetech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000851;p=1

Duramax Diesels are manufactured in Moraine, Ohio. Last I checked Ohio was still in the USA...:p

Try out a Juiced Duramax, then you too can say...life is good.

Originally posted by Drthv8r
WRONG!!! My 89 Dodge 4X4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel blew up at 160,000 miles. So don't tell me you can't kill this engine.

Duramax Diesels are manufactured in Moraine, Ohio. Last I checked Ohio was still in the USA...:p

You are one of the few. And as far as flat rate tech.com give me a break all they do is leak and whine about everything!!!!! a bunch of bitches. I am giving you dealership first hand experience take it for what it is worth.

well i guess you have to thank dodge for staying with a well built inline 6 over the years.... yours lasted 160K and that is 159,970miles more than some of the new 6.0 litre motors were lasting without cyl wash from injector washing the cylinders-

i had heard about that, i just forgot about it..

even if the duramax engine is made by ISUZU its a well made engine-
we have ISUZU engines in light towers, generators,and pumps and they are close to maintenance free as you can get-

lets see here
DODGE/CUMMINS AND CHEVY/ISUZU have engines that are also used in heavy machinery and get abused daily-
FORD has great service when their trucks break down:p

if you want to see how much i love my 99 stroke

check this out
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65899&highlight=158+000+miles

Brian, Which heavy equipment company do you work for down there? I've worked for Murphy Tractor & Equipment up here for close to 5 years now, we bought out the Deere dealership a few years ago down there, I think it used to be Mid States? Just looking for a common ground that's all.

Oh, and my "new" service truck is a 99 Powechoke F550 Automatic. I hate it. I'd ask for my old truck back 92 Superduty 460 but I've come to like the A/C and auto tranny. Makes it nicer driving across town. :)

yeah MURPHY bought out MAIE off 435 and front street awhile back-

i work for UNITED RENTALS DOWNTOWN KC-

ive been at that store for almost 6 years and LOVE IT:rolleyes:

still trying to talk the into buying a 2001 or 2002 DODGE diesel to replace my 170K 99 stroke :mad:

did i mention that i love my job:rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
well i guess you have to thank dodge for staying with a well built inline 6 over the years.... yours lasted 160K and that is 159,970miles more than some of the new 6.0 litre motors were lasting without cyl wash from injector washing the cylinders-

Sorry after spending over $5000.00 to have the engine rebuilt when it's "suppose" to last a minimum of 300,000 miles. I'm NOT thanking anybody...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by njturbo
You are one of the few.

Yeah just my rotten frigg'n luck huh? To be one of the few. Don't claim you can't kill them when you have no clue. Oh and I'm giving you on the hand out of pocket knowledge...you can take that for what it's worth too.

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
just curious if the duraslugs are still governed at 98 MPH??:rolleyes: :p

HMMM only 800 horses???
wonder how many passes that would last??

got any links to any chevy duramax sites?
Try www.thedieselpage.com

I compared Ford, Dodge and GM for available options, price, creature comforts, all around comfort, reliability and towing capacity. All were fairly close and did much research via the net and owners before choosing the Chevy Silverado LT 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab. I heard a lot of good things about the Dodge/Cummins except the FRIGGIN NOISE! The damn thing sounds like an 18 wheel gravel hauler using chains instead of belts on the engine pulleys. GM's Duramax has been very well rated (and quiet) with minor issues. The Allison transimssion is absolutely bullet proof. The GM has more than adequate power combined with a good ride and total comfort for passengers. The Dodge and Ford didn't compare when it came to top-of-the-line interiors.

Sorry after spending over $5000.00 to have the engine rebuilt when it's "suppose" to last a minimum of 300,000 miles. I'm NOT thanking anybody...:rolleyes:

Did you take care of it? Did you run it hot? Change the oil?
We have engines with 360,000 on them and they have never had a valve adjustment. You must have the one bad one out of 100,000 engines!

http://flatratetech.com/ubb/ultimat...=1;t=000851;p=1

Whinning? perhaps but the failures do exist which is what I was looking for .. Thanks. I had heard things about the6.0 so this backs it up. 7.3 it is..if we can find one! Drew

WOW you are stuck on a Ford...Good Luck with it...Hyper didn't yall have a problem with the 7.3 eating the cylinder walls up and cam positioner failures? Hyper is the lead diesel mechanic at our school district and we have several ford power buses.....

6.0 HAHAHAHAHA!

As a trans/electrical/diesel tech at a Ford dealer I guess I can give you a word about the 6.0. This motor is designed from the ground up to be cheap! 4 headbolts around each cylinder on a diesel. Gimme a break! The Ford message boards are filled with problems on these. So far at my dealer we have replaced headgaskets, ICP's, IPR's, turbos, rocker arms, 1 motor and lots of other stuff. As a tech who has been trained-sort of-on these engines I can say that I would in no way ever buy one, ever.

The only good part about the new engine is the new trans. It's a pretty slick box!

Jonathan

Re: 6.0 HAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Peacock
As a trans/electrical/diesel tech at a Ford dealer I guess I can give you a word about the 6.0. This motor is designed from the ground up to be cheap! 4 headbolts around each cylinder on a diesel. Gimme a break! The Ford message boards are filled with problems on these. So far at my dealer we have replaced headgaskets, ICP's, IPR's, turbos, rocker arms, 1 motor and lots of other stuff. As a tech who has been trained-sort of-on these engines I can say that I would in no way ever buy one, ever.

The only good part about the new engine is the new trans. It's a pretty slick box!

Jonathan

Yea qcdealer.com you guys all leak and whine:D :D
We have not seen any major repairs, only calibration issues.
DiFeoFord.com ;)

I'm not aware of many products out there that don't have problems. It's the big problems that usually occur in the first year compounded by the fact that the techs who should be the first to know this stuff are the last to be helped out from the factory by the sounds of the conversations on the tech forum. These guys are not being taken care of . Afterall they are the ones in the trenches doing all the work and in many cases giving the factory reps most of the info on how to fix this stuff. Stuck on Ford? The trucks I use at work have the 7.3 in them. They have been good not that the DuraMax isn't but we don't have those. Of the 7 trucks that have come and gone with a combination of nearly 1 million miles without a major engine failure is pretty darn good. That's all I have to go on is real world performance and these trucks get the crap beaten out of them. Drew

Re: 6.0 HAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Peacock

Jonathan

:eek:

ford used to have the slogan "QUALITY is #1"

what do they do now? just circle thier mistakes?

not splitting hair but..........

I think it was "Quality is job One" But you are right, what are they using for a catch slogan now? "My bad!" Drew