A little head progress for you guys.

what exactly is port polishing..... How much would it cost to get done on my car?

Port polishing is nothing more than smoothing out the ports/chambers usually with sanding rolls or sand paper flapper sticks.

it's mostly for cosmetic reasons,to make a customer say oooohhhhh,,aaaaahhhh!:cool:

I read somewhere (probably from the car magazines of my youth) that it was beneficial to have a slightly rough finish to help with atomization. By rough I mean polish them smooth and then go back and hit it with an abrasive blaster to knock the shine down.

I read somewhere (probably from the car magazines of my youth) that it was beneficial to have a slightly rough finish to help with atomization. By rough I mean polish them smooth and then go back and hit it with an abrasive blaster to knock the shine down.

this is true.... the boundry layer.

A.j.

A smooth area will cause a slow down in the air but if it's rough the boundry area will create some sort of turbulance which reducesfuel drop out. You can use sand blasting but it needs to go into a sonic bath to get rid of the sand that's been imbedded into the metal.

A smooth area will cause a slow down in the air but if it's rough the boundry area will create some sort of turbulance which reducesfuel drop out. You can use sand blasting but it needs to go into a sonic bath to get rid of the sand that's been imbedded into the metal.

If you use Al Ox it won't imbed. That's why they use it powder coating. Glass bead or sand will.

If you have a link for some Al please send it to me. I'll be doing some blasting and can use the best thing that won't cause a problem.

Charlie, use only fresh Alum O and no reclaim. after you are done you can use it up on supin else. The ideal is to not let any contaminates like some of the metal you just removed into the system. Then wash the shiiiit out of it.

Thanks Ronnie. I've got some but it's pretty dirty right now. So instead of puttng it back into the hopper it has to go into a seperate container and the clean it, right?

Have you ever seen some one blast alum. and later it starts to rust? It's because the abrasive had metal in it from other parts. Some finish shops have 3-4 cabinets
Stainless/Alum/steel

Have you ever seen some one blast alum. and later it starts to rust? It's because the abrasive had metal in it from other parts. Some finish shops have 3-4 cabinets
Stainless/Alum/steel

Honestly I've never thought about it Ronnie. Thanks for the info bud.:)

Thanks Brett. It's just the begining. Keep tuned for the rest so you can see how much the heads get cut up. It is a B4Black car after all and I've only cut a few heads in the last few decades. LOL

More done.

Well I'm stuck waiting on a tranny to get here so I can put an S-10 back together so I had some free time finally. I did the rest of the rough in on both heads and it looks good. Here's the pics guys.:biggrin:

Attachments

• rough port.jpg
    rough port.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 246
  • rough port 2.jpg
    rough port 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 239
  • rough port 3.jpg
    rough port 3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 246
  • rough port 4.jpg
    rough port 4.jpg