air fuel probs

How do you know the ECM was replaced?

The ECM's in these cars hardly ever fail, unplug the harnesses and look down inside the connector and at the plug faces for corrosion.

Hopefully they will be nice and clean.

The chip is inside the cover on the side of the ECM, 1/4" nutdriver/socket required for access (although most of us leave the cover off)

Bob

here it is.

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 106
at first glance, it looks ok.

that might be a stock chip, hard to tell in the pic.

now squeeze the blue handle at the top of the connectors and unplug the harnesses. Look for corrosion in the ECM side as well as the harness side.

Bob

(we're getting there)

since you have a fuel pressure gauge, key the car on, but don't try to start it, so the fuel pressure primes.

then key back off and see how long it takes for the pressure to bleed off.

Bob

This will sound bad but pour a lil gas into the TB/intake itself(put back everything), crank it and see if it will run. Get a lil spray bottle with lil soap mix, spray your IGN wires a bit, might be grounding somewhere. Check your Cam sensor, see if it wiggles around a bit or its nice and firm in place.

It sounds to me like a ground problem, check the body grounds and clean them up as well, same thing steel wool or something(both wires and body) Your ECM looks good but tell us the ECM # also same for the Chip/calpak(smaller chip next to it) numbers and any writing on them.

Do all the basic stuff, check your wires. If they are in correct order, test your coil pack etc

Ok I will try that. What's strange to me it ran at one point then stopped. When it did run it ran rough with a bunch of smoke.

thats probably a bad delay relay, its the big one on the driver side fender.

just unplug the delay relay for now.

Wrong ECM chip are another possibility if the person that replaced them didn't put the right chip in the new one...

What are the letter codes on the ECM label and the little silver label on the main chip?

I did not drain all the gas yet I thought that I would have to drain the tank it has a half tank of gas in it.

Get the fuel pump running, take the line off your FP gauge put it in a gas can and drain it all out. Check your grounds at the back of the cylinder head on the passenger side.

How long is your fuel pump supposed to run when you turn your key on? Also how do I get my fuel pump to keep running to drain all the gas in my tank?

2-3 secs with the key on. I thought you told me that you got the pump to run all the time by taking power from the hood light and connecting it to the gray wire beside the alternator?????

It runs for 3 secs or so turning the key. But the wire deal by the alternator with the grey wire does not wirk.

does the hood light work?

Attachments

• alt wire copy.JPG
    alt wire copy.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 93