Alky Vs Racegas!!!

Not everyone has or needs a FAST system to run 113mph. ;)

Anyone that can tune these cars can run any type of fuel and additive and make them perform.

Many can't get one tune right let alone two or three. :(

I like the easy daily driver and one tune concept. :cool:

Works well in both practice and theory. :)

And I have a collection of old replaced O2 sensors as well, but I think all mine are still good. :biggrin:

I haven't touched my fuel pressure regulators in either car, other than once
a year to make sure they are spot on 45psi., for about 8 years.

Haven't touched my headgaskets in 20 years either.

I am happy with pump gas and alky., I think that is what pizzes off most race gas users. :p

Either that or burned fingers from replacing O2 sensors all the time. :biggrin:

did i say anything about my car having to have a fast system to go 113 mph.:confused: but lets see you do it with 20 psi of boost and 16 degrees of timing with 100 unleaded gas?

i just simply stated that all i had to do is turn up the boost when i was wanted to runt he race gas and that i didn't have to retune my street/pump gas tune.

If you do a search with my user name, you'll find a similar thread where I looked around and found some research numbers on different distillates, and xylene kicked the ass of every other one (alky, methanol, etc) by a huge margin, in every respect thats important to us...there were like 3 different types...I think meta-xylene was the best. I want to try it but Im worried I may damage the system. It may be too corrosive to rubbers and plastics.
As for "which is better", thats a question that cant get far. Thats like saying which is better, a 747 or a cesna...they both have their intended purpose. But what do you need to do? Go cross country or 1 state over? How many people are flying? Whats the weather like? In the case of boost, you need to squash detonation/pre-ignition. Can high octane race gas do it? yup. Can alky injection do it? Yup. Can either system fail? Yup. Does 1 system provide more benefit than just octane increase? Yup. Alky does. The evaporative effect of the mist super cools the intake charge extremely fast, creating not only a draw on incoming air (more dense intake charge is the result), but a high octane fuel supplement. Detonation/pre-ignition can be squashed through a colder intake charge AND higher octane. Alky provides both. High octane fuel only does 1. But tuning alky can be tricky as o2's will have to be interpreted differently and you may need EGT's to tune it right. Also, a separate nozzle sprays in the alky in, in a sloppy way. High octane race fuel is precisely injected into each cylinder.

OK i understand that the alky is a cooling agent to help the incoming intake charge temps down. you stated that the alky evaporates. so i assume that it evaporates from a mist into a vapor if i'm understanding you correctly. well how does the alky when it evaporates into a vapor raise octane?. I would think that it would have to be a liquid to mix with the actaul fuel being sprayed from the injector to raise the octane.(kinda like adding a gallon of xylene to your gas tank.)

OK i understand that the alky is a cooling agent to help the incoming intake charge temps down. you stated that the alky evaporates. so i assume that it evaporates from a mist into a vapor if i'm understanding you correctly. well how does the alky when it evaporates into a vapor raise octane?. I would think that it would have to be a liquid to mix with the actaul fuel being sprayed from the injector to raise the octane.(kinda like adding a gallon of xylene to your gas tank.)

I'm certainly no expert but when the proper amount of fuel is ignited in the combustion chamber it is in vapor form (liquid wouldn't combust) and has a certain octane so wouldn't intermingling alky vapor with a higher octane "mix" with the fuel vapor to effectively make an increased (to whatever value) octane value?

When talking about fuel octane and alcohol fuels you need to keep in mind that the octane rating system was designed with gasoline fueled engines in mind and is not really appropriate for alcohol fuels. The reason for that is, that the specifications for the testing standard for MON specify a very high intake air temperature.

You will likely never see this high of an intake air temp, in an alcohol fueled engine due to the cooling effects of the alcohol.

That means that the MON number reported for alcohol fuels (and to a lesser degree the RON number) are probably lower than they should be.

The 118 octane number is the "blending octane" of pure ethanol when added in small amounts to gasoline. As you go up to higher concentrations it drops down toward its natural octane which is reported to be RON 109, MON 90 which gives a R+M/2 antiknock index of 99.5 which gets rounded up to 100 for discussion purposes.

Take E-85 for example , The official octane for E-85 is between 100 and 105 depending on the source you get the number from. This is simply due to variablility on how far folks want to push the envelop. Most "official sources" will quote 100 octane, Those of us who use it know from experience it is more probably closer to 105+ due to its behavior in the real world. Yet when you actually use it in a car, you need to run gasoline blends with over 105 octane to get the same knock resistance in the real world. This is called "road octane" and is the one that matters. E-85's road octane is probably between 105 and 110 depending on the particular engine setup you are running.
:smile:

I understand that alot of folks use straight Meth in the ALKY system but you get the point, just using ethanol as an example. Results may vary :D

Oh yeah did I already say that ALKY rules....

That was his white one??

Yep....

Saw it in BG the year before last when he brought it...... someone got a sweet ride.... it was as clean as you would expect for a 30,000 mile car... much less a 135,000 mile car... that thing really was detailed out nice.

Yep....

Saw it in BG the year before last when he brought it...... someone got a sweet ride.... it was as clean as you would expect for a 30,000 mile car... much less a 135,000 mile car... that thing really was detailed out nice.

Yeah I thought so. There must be something about stock turbos, stock unopened blocks, alky kits and white cars. :rolleyes:

alky is not just for a cooling agent it is a fuel thats where more power can be generated with the alky over race gas you get both worlds. IF IT IS TUNED PROPERLY

Yeah I thought so. There must be something about stock turbos, stock unopened blocks, alky kits and white cars. :rolleyes:

I've always wanted a white solid roof T with the W02 blackout trim...bucket seat.. floorshift car.....with blue... or gray....or even tan interior...... just no burgandy...

I really like that color combo.....

Let me throw myself under the bus here...

I can run 21 PSI on straight 93... no alky. I also run 100 octane, I pay 3.90 a gallon. I normally push about 24psi with that setup.. with is about good for 11.40's on my stock motor.