And so it begins!! started the teardown today.....

Have your powder coat guy use a Zinc rich primer and
only 1/4 cure it and then top coat with your color.
It will keep any rust down, like behind the welds and
where two pcs. of metal meet. Basically all the places you can't blast. And it should last a long long time.
And now is the time to do it.
Your frame looks great! just giving out a little info.
Hope it helps.

Sorry, off-topic question, what kind and size tires do you have on your car? I see they are BFG's. Thanks

Everything looks really nice. The only thing I could suggest is be careful with square shapes, such as your access hole to the body mount bushings on your boxed frame. The square, at the 90*, will be much more prone to cracking than a round hole, or at least a rounder hole. Just a thought. I don't know what your plans are for the car. Again, top notch work. :cool:

No new progress pics, I should be working on it again within the next few days, The car will just be a glorified street car, to the track here and there, just didnt like the flex in it or the fact that the b-pillars cracked the first time I launched the trans-brake really hard:eek: hoping that this will stiffen the car up some!;)

Have not been able to post any updates lately due to a lack of buick funds, The frame is complete and will go to the powder coater on tuesday the 13th of May, Just ordered My HR bar and tubular uppers and lowers from G-body today, Ill post some frame pics when it comes back from the coater, It really looks like its gonna be awesome, I have about 50 hours into boxing, notching, dressing the factory welds, adding reinforcments and making the framehorn bar for the rear....Hopefully the juice will be worth the squeeze.......:eek:

Everything looks really nice. The only thing I could suggest is be careful with square shapes, such as your access hole to the body mount bushings on your boxed frame. The square, at the 90*, will be much more prone to cracking than a round hole, or at least a rounder hole. Just a thought. I don't know what your plans are for the car. Again, top notch work. :cool:

Thanks for the info on the square shapes, I hit the corners of those pockets with a sturdy weld to cure this!! Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Sorry, off-topic question, what kind and size tires do you have on your car? I see they are BFG's. Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response, I missed your post!! The fronts are 225/50's and are a G-force sport, The rears are 275/50's are are a BFG drag radial, not sure what my new tire plan is, maybe a 325/50?? I now have the room! I only wish somebody made a drag radial in a 295/50R15, A nice inbetween for the 275 and 325.....

The juice worth the squeeze. I love hearing Forrest Griffin qoutes. Thanks for the info, lookin good.

Have your powder coat guy use a Zinc rich primer and
only 1/4 cure it and then top coat with your color.
It will keep any rust down, like behind the welds and
where two pcs. of metal meet. Basically all the places you can't blast. And it should last a long long time.
And now is the time to do it.
Your frame looks great! just giving out a little info.
Hope it helps.

Good sir, I need some powdercoating info....Can you help me??

Hey guys, did a little more work today, frame is ready to go to blast and coat, Im sending the rear end housing to be done at the same time as well, so I figured on assembling the rear suspension to mock up the HR bar so I could weld up the lower perches for the bar before the coat, The HR bar is a super nice piece.....heres some pics...

Attachments

• Grand National 151.jpg
    Grand National 151.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 609
  • Grand National 152.jpg
    Grand National 152.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 613
  • Grand National 153.jpg
    Grand National 153.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 607
  • Grand National 156.jpg
    Grand National 156.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 606
  • Grand National 157.jpg
    Grand National 157.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 605
and a couple more...

Attachments

• Grand National 158.jpg
    Grand National 158.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 601
  • Grand National 159.jpg
    Grand National 159.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 598
  • Grand National 160.jpg
    Grand National 160.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 600
  • Grand National 161.jpg
    Grand National 161.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 600
  • Grand National 162.jpg
    Grand National 162.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 599
Can't wait to see some powdercoat pics:cool: . Damn, seeing all that space you got to work with makes me jealous:redface: . If it was 10 years ago I would have that much room also. Now I got a 2 and 1/2 stall garage to work out of and store all my car parts and tools. Needless to say it's getting a little cramped;)

Ok. Im officially sending the frame to coat, after one more round of overkill I decided to chamfer and reweld the entire length of both rails on the top and bottom where the inner and outr half of the rails joined as well as clean off all the high spots in the factory welds, all slag, spatter and whiskers......Looks great now, re-leveled and measured for twist and square, Its perfect.....Heres a few pics....

Attachments

• reweld1.jpg
    reweld1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 546
  • reweld2.jpg
    reweld2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 542
Can't wait to see some powdercoat pics:cool: . Damn, seeing all that space you got to work with makes me jealous:redface: . If it was 10 years ago I would have that much room also. Now I got a 2 and 1/2 stall garage to work out of and store all my car parts and tools. Needless to say it's getting a little cramped;)

Haha, your welcome to come up and work in my garage, Its big enough, kinda a drive though! I store all my car parts in the basement, down there you will find the entire car minus the frame and body section, the rest is down there neatly layed out!!! Keeps the garage more free for working... My shop is very well equipped for everything as well, plasma cutters, welders, frame racks, hoists, tons of metal stock, pretty much anything I could need or use, Including a full stock of grade 8 fasteners which I will be raiding during the assembly of the pig.....Its doing the Buick some good!

Hey guys, Tight budget has still got my progress slowed:mad: But I decided that since I gave done all this work on the frame That it would just be wastefull to put the bidy back on all dirty and such underneath, So I decided to strip, re-seamseal and undercoat the entire underbody:D Started work tonight, scraped off all the loose factory sealer then went at it with the wire cup brush on the angle grinder, makes quick work of this stuff! Gone take quite a while to do but again I belive it will bw worth it, heres a few pics of the progress tonight! The lower lip on the quarter was kinda bent up, I hammer and dollied that out straight and brushed and cleaned everything really well, after im complete im going to wipe the entire underside with acetone and seal all the seams, then spray it with 3M black undercoat, I figure 12 to 14 cans to cover it clean and even:eek: More pics to come once I get the frame back from the coaters!

Attachments

• Grand National 170.jpg
    Grand National 170.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 508
  • Grand National 169.jpg
    Grand National 169.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 502
  • Grand National 172.jpg
    Grand National 172.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Grand National 173.jpg
    Grand National 173.jpg