Any El Camino hybrids out there?

wheel base

Both. The wheel base is 9" longer than the regal and this is the reason for the drive shaft needing to be 9" longer because the rear end is 9" further back as well.

Thanks Al. The Regal shaft is the same diameter for the entire length, but the Elco shaft is smaller at either end and larger diameter elsewhere. I think I'll just get a new one made, maybe aluminum.

This ones in WI

Jefferson WI area - still for sale I believe.
84buick28459-1.jpg

Another pic.
84buick28459-2.jpg

I believe this one started it's life cruising the MS gulf coast ...... according to local hearsay.

Jay's Car.

Jay's Car Is As Clean Underneath As It Looks On Top. I Have Some Of My Heart And Soul In This Car..he Aslo Installed A New Carpet,new Leather Steering Wheel. Car Is Beautiful!!! "get Out Your Checkbook"

I thinking about starting an El Camino project this winter. What gas tank have you guys used?

You may have to get creative here, or get lucky. 85-87 El's had optional throttle body fuel injection, and these tanks have a baffle at the pick up area to prevent fuel sloshing away from it under acceleration. Replacement tanks are available from several vendors. The bigger problem is the fuel sender. Like the TR sender, it incorporates an in tank fuel pump. Trouble is, they are now discontinued. I found a vendor who had one in stock, Dixie Monte Carlo Depot - Chevrolet Chevy Monte Carlo SS, Chevy El Camino, Chevy Malibu Parts. I may have got the last one, but perhaps there are other vendors that have one. Pretty expensive too. The options you have include modding one from a TR or using an aftermarket external pump rated for fuel injection.

DM90204 is the dixie part number for the fuel sender. The ad says 'call first, one left' but I think I got that one. There's a GM number for it, I'll have to search some old posts. I think Turbofish has a number for it, PM him and he'll know better than I would. I will see if I can locate the GM number as time allows. DM90073 is the 22 gal FI tank, $209 and change. Again, I advise finding the sender first. You won't need a FI tank without a FI sender (or competent fabrication skills). This was the first time I've dealt with Dixie. It's sometimes difficult to reach them as they didn't return my calls, but I was happy with the parts. The sender was around $400. Maybe more now that it's discontinued.

I found one at rockauto.com, part #GM515 for the tank, $150. They do not list a sender. What you want is the sender for the 22 gal 4.4l/267 c.i. throttle body fuel injected motor. It should have 3 lines coming out of ot, not 2.

Is the mounting for the fuel pump the same as a Regal? I have an entire donor...

The only real difference is where the fill neck is (externally anyway), correct?

Also, will the Regal HVAC stuff swap over? The El Camino I'm looking at didn't have AC from the factory.

No, the sender is different than the Regal's. The Regal's tank is flat on top, while the Elco's has a large dome shaped top. The Regal sender has tubing that is straight whilr the Elco's is bent to around 30 degrees and is longer overall. Physically it will mount in the Elco tank, but the pickup is too high. As I noted before the fuel injected Elco sender is now discontinued. It has been suggested that a Blazer tank and sender could be used, but I have no personal experience with it. As far as the HVAC stuff, yes it will work in place of the Elco pieces but of course you will need the controls and wiring. Hope that helps......

That's what I figured about the HVAC stuff. I was planning on putting the entire Regal interior into the El Camino, so the controls and wiring wouldn't be a huge deal.

I guess the only other thing I'm not sure of off hand is if the door panels between Regals and El Caminos bolt up? If so, what about the power window motors? The El Camino is manual windows/locks, but the Regal has power, simple swap or do I have to find El Camino power motors?

16jgas4.jpg

24pdxf9.jpg

2dlkfgi.jpg

That is the El Camino I would be using for the swap. It used to belong to me when I was in high school, I got worn out hard by a GN in it and bought a turbo Regal after I graduated. I sold the El Camino to a local kid I knew and I've stayed in contact with him. He said he'll sell it to me for $3,000. I haven't seen it in years but when I sold it to him it didn't have a spot of rust and had a really nice paint job. From the pics, the body looks about the same.

From looking at pictures (I haven't searched any posts here yet) it appears the 25 gallon Blazer tank has the same hump the El Caminos have. Is it possible the sending unit is the same dept between the two? Looks like it might work and the Blazer one is only $60 so it could be worth a shot.

Edit: I take that back, the Blazer hump is flat and the tank shows to be 2" deeper.