Any one make it to 10's w/6131e yet

Looks like the air is going to be very good tomorrow, going to the Street Car shootout. The only time I ran a 1/4 with the 6131E was very crappy weather, misty and overcast and ran a 11.63 with zero tuning a crappy 60' with a 2700 stall. I now have a 3000 stall and should have beautiful weather, low 11's should be in order after a few passes.

Look we were getting off topic here...the thread is about going 10's with a 6131E...not comparing it to other turbos. That's great that a TE61 has gone mid 10's at almost 130 mph. I'm not trying to knock the turbo! I'm sure somebody will do the same thing on a GT61 as well. Like someone said, the turbo has only been out for a couple years now and people are just starting to knock on the door of going really fast with it. I'm not trying to set records with my car, but I can assure you this new 61 is no slouch and in time it will be proven that it can run on a really fast Buick. I know for a fact if I minus a bunch of BS things that were going wrong on my car, I'd be in the 10's a long time ago. We are going to fix that this year and hopefully we'll be able to hit my goal. I still have 5-6 more lbs of boost to go which is alot for a combo like mine with good heads and cam. We'll see what happens.

pt54,TSM weight,ported irons,3400 stall and 9.5 to 1. Went 10.70 and would of had a sixty if the tires were newer. The turbo stopped making power at 28LBS.

chevyII said:
pt54,TSM weight,ported irons,3400 stall and 9.5 to 1. Went 10.70 and would of had a sixty if the tires were newer. The turbo stopped making power at 28LBS.
What was you mph? Converter locked or unlocked? Just curious.

I cant take credit for the numbers its my partners car....Paul Dubois. MPH was always at 127 and I think he locks it after 70mph. He ran TSM with this setup and did very well if you compare numbers. The quick spool helps on the pro tree, and was competitve against most other low 10, 70GTQ cars.

2QUIK6 said:
Looks like the air is going to be very good tomorrow, going to the Street Car shootout. The only time I ran a 1/4 with the 6131E was very crappy weather, misty and overcast and ran a 11.63 with zero tuning a crappy 60' with a 2700 stall. I now have a 3000 stall and should have beautiful weather, low 11's should be in order after a few passes.
Well it didn't make it. Air was very low humidity and about 65 degrees. The car couldn't have better dialed in, O2s in the 770-780 range, with 1-2 derees knock, with the O2s in the 780-790 range had zero knock. All passes were at 25# boost and 22 degrees of timing with alky. Launched at 10# just about everytime.
Times were 11.65, 11.61. and 11.62 all at 118 or 119 mph and 1.71 best 60'. With a stock weight and untouched long block and stock loc V4 IC, I don't see much more coming from this combo, maybe a tenth or 2 from launching at a higher boost but then would have a bad RT.
I just don't see the tune getting any better, maybe running more timing, but in the past this car just didn't get much better with more timing.
Without doing some head work, this particular car isn't going any faster than mid 11's.
I know someone with a 45A on their car with untouched heads also, he's just getting it dialed in this spring, at the end of last season he did run a 7.19 in the 1/8th, but would like to see if he does much better with stock untouched long block. I think its all in the flow of the heads.

2QUIK6 said:
Well it didn't make it. Air was very low humidity and about 65 degrees. The car couldn't have better dialed in, O2s in the 770-780 range, with 1-2 derees knock, with the O2s in the 780-790 range had zero knock. All passes were at 25# boost and 22 degrees of timing with alky. Launched at 10# just about everytime.
Times were 11.65, 11.61. and 11.62 all at 118 or 119 mph and 1.71 best 60'. With a stock weight and untouched long block and stock loc V4 IC, I don't see much more coming from this combo, maybe a tenth or 2 from launching at a higher boost but then would have a bad RT.
I just don't see the tune getting any better, maybe running more timing, but in the past this car just didn't get much better with more timing.
Without doing some head work, this particular car isn't going any faster than mid 11's.
I know someone with a 45A on their car with untouched heads also, he's just getting it dialed in this spring, at the end of last season he did run a 7.19 in the 1/8th, but would like to see if he does much better with stock untouched long block. I think its all in the flow of the heads.

good mph there but something is off with the ET. at some point going down the track it seems like it must be falling off for a second and then picking right back up. 1.66 at a 119 trap should be more around 11.40 i would think? Either way thats a great time/mph for an unported head car. what was the 1/8 mile time and mph?

I'm porting my heads & going w/ 1.775 intake& 1.50 exhaust ferrea valves.And I hope they will let it flow.What will be the best stall for best times :confused:

2QUIK6 said:

MPH is good, now you need to work on the 60'...What tires were you using, what suspension do you have, Did it spin, What was the 1/8th mile times and MPH??

2QUIK6 said:

The MPH looks pretty good. I have the simular set-up but with a FMIC and with alot more timming.

JDSfastGN said:
good mph there but something is off with the ET. at some point going down the track it seems like it must be falling off for a second and then picking right back up. 1.66 at a 119 trap should be more around 11.40 i would think? Either way thats a great time/mph for an unported head car. what was the 1/8 mile time and mph?
Sorry, that 1.66 in the sig was the best 60' I've had, was not on these runs, I do not have a trans brake.
My 8th times Saturday were all in the 7.42-7.45 range, mph was 94-95mph. Now with that in mind, my best 8th with this turbo was 7.23 at 96, so by no means were my passes Saturday the best ever, but those 7.23 8th times came during the winter when the temp was about 45-50 degrees. So with some cooler weather, I'm sure the 1/4 times could have been in that 11.4 - 11.5 range, but tuning wise for the conditions I had I don't think there was much left on the table. I beleive I'm a fairly good skilled tuner. With that said, I'm sure I could have tweaked the alky ratio with gas ration and maybe been able to squeeze out a degree or 2 more timing, but like I mentioned, timing has never gave me much more gains after 22 degrees so I don't push it. Oh, yeah, I lock the convertor at about 3/4 way down the 1/4mi. Locking this new PTS convertor in 3rd gear any sooner resulted in the rpms dropping by 1000!! So I wait till later to lock it, but it definitely still has a lot of pull once locked.

As far as convertor, I love this 3000 stall locking convertor for this 6131E turbo, maybe for track duty only, a 3200 may be better only from the standpoint of getting it spooled to say 13-15# by the time the lights drop.
Saturday was a Pro Tree format, and I almost always staged last and by the time the second stage light lite, I only had the rpms up, I immediately stood on the pedal and would launch with 10# and usually cut about a .3x light...so that was fairly quick spoolup, not a great RT but I just don't have much experience on a pro tree :)

Slow91z said:
MPH is good, now you need to work on the 60'...What tires were you using, what suspension do you have, Did it spin, What was the 1/8th mile times and MPH??
Have MT ET Streets, 28x11.5, no tire spin. The best 60' ever has been 1.66 with a 13-14# launch no tire spin.
rear suspension is all stock/boxed lowers and uppers with all poly bushings lower and upper and PS air bag. Stock rearend.

2QUIK6 said:
The GT6131E did not run any faster from 24# to 28# but I would contribute that to the untouched heads, not the turbo, more boost is more boost only if it can make it into the cylinders.

I would tend to disagree with all else being equal. If you have more pressure you will flow more air unless the temperature rises faster than enough to make up the difference in the pressure......

Example: 25 psi boost @ 180 deg F might actually be the same mass of incoming air as 28 psi @ 250 deg F..... the only way this is physically possible is the temperature difference.... if they were the same temperature and one was 3 psi more boost.... there will be a higher mass of air inside the cylinder.... and will make more power when mixed with the right quantity of fuel. This all eventually goes back to thermodynamics.... and compressor efficiency maps.....

With that said.....IMHO head flow has nothing to do with why xx car made no more power at 28 psi ... than it did at 25 psi. Other variables contributed to this...... it wasn't the heads. This is not to say that you don't need ported heads..... because they will make better power at the same boost compared to the stock heads....everything else being equal.

2QUIK6 said:
Have MT ET Streets, 28x11.5, no tire spin. The best 60' ever has been 1.66 with a 13-14# launch no tire spin.
rear suspension is all stock/boxed lowers and uppers with all poly bushings lower and upper and PS air bag. Stock rearend.

If you could get your 60' times around 1.50 ..... that would most likely have put you in the 7.0's (based on that 7.23 pass with a 1.66 60') which ain't nothing to sneeze at........... w/o any other changes.....IMHO

Blazer406 said:
If you could get your 60' times around 1.50 ..... that would most likely have put you in the 7.0's (based on that 7.23 pass with a 1.66 60') which ain't nothing to sneeze at........... w/o any other changes.....IMHO

See that's what I was gonna say I am running the same MPH as him in the 1/8th and the same ET as him with the same 60', but if I lock the e-brake and launch it upstairs (like 15-18 psi) then I have gone 1.56 and 7.25.

DISCLAMER BUY AFTERMARKET AXLES BEFORE YOU TRY ANY HARDER LAUNCHES AND GET INTO THE 1.5X'S.

I ran 11.48@112mph with a stock IC on the 6152. With a tighter converter and more mph I'm hoping I could get down to high 11.2s or low 11.3s. With a front mount I'm hoping I could shave another 0.1 (mainly due to the better flow). Also add another 0.1 or so with a 1.4 60' and I think I can get down into 11.1s or so. There's no doubt I've got more left with my low mph.

No way you're done at 11.6. You should be able to get to the 7.0s or 7.1s in the 1/8th. I do think 10s will be tough without ported heads. Will take lots of boost. I'd say 27lbs+.

2QUIK6 said:
Oh, yeah, I lock the convertor at about 3/4 way down the 1/4mi. Locking this new PTS convertor in 3rd gear any sooner resulted in the rpms dropping by 1000!! So I wait till later to lock it, but it definitely still has a lot of pull once locked.
As far as convertor, I love this 3000 stall locking convertor for this 6131E turbo, maybe for track duty only, a 3200 may be better only from the standpoint of getting it spooled to say 13-15# by the time the lights drop.
Saturday was a Pro Tree format, and I almost always staged last and by the time the second stage light lite, I only had the rpms up, I immediately stood on the pedal and would launch with 10# and usually cut about a .3x light...so that was fairly quick spoolup, not a great RT but I just don't have much experience on a pro tree :)

Believe it or not, people think that locking the converter and the rpms dropping slows the car down, but that is not always the case. Since I have the Extender and can set the lockup at anywhere from 45-105 mph, I compared the rate of acceleration unlocked and locked at different points. Besides the fact that in 3rd, I can hit 122-123 locked and can only hit 95 mph at the same rpm unlocked, The rate of acceleration didn't change. I'm locking the converter at 53 mph and it pulls like mad the entire time. I actually posted up 2 Turbolink runs that compare locked and unlocked from about 39 mph to 95/98. The rpms are lower through the entire range when locked, but the rate of acceleration is almost the same I thought it was interesting when I saw them both. This was also less than 24 hours apart.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181230

Marc87GN said:
Believe it or not, people think that locking the converter and the rpms dropping slows the car down, but that is not always the case.
With my old convertor it didn't seem to matter if it was locked or not. Now this PTS 9x11 is a different story. This was the first time to the track with it so on the good passes I had, the first one didn't have it locked at all and netted the 11.65 at 116 I beleive.
Then I locked it the next run at half track, so I was well above 85mph at that time and it felt like to slowed it too much, but the ET was a 11.61 at 119. (Not sure why I feel this way cause I really pulled up and actually past the guy I was racing against right at the traps, so it pulled really well) Then the next time I locked it about 3/4 down the track and got 11.62 at 118.8....so you're probably right about it just "feeling" like it dropped too much.
Unfortunately I didn't get another pass with the switch already locked from the get go off the line or it may have ran even faster.

Finally got some track time on this new 6131e

Best 1/4 ET was 11.38@117.56 1/8 ET was a 7.10@97.57