anybody have a factory shortblock in the 9's?

DR BOOST

Technical advisor
what does it take to get a factory shortblock in the nines.

heres what i have.

factory shortblock 90,000 miles
stock cam
old ESP ported heads from the late 90's
unported intake.
te 63-1
55 lb injectors
accel dfi

i plan on putting my car together with only leftover parts that i already have sitting around.
all of my good stuff is getting thrown in a box till 2011
this summer may be interesting

btw ...im still using the 200r4 with ptc convertor 3.90 gears and the car weighs 3911 with me in it.

Alot more than what you have there... Basically none of that is going to work with a 9 sec combo with the exception of the old DFI...

A factory shortblock will not last above 550 horsepower or so. You need approx 725 at the wheels to run a 9.95 at 3900 lbs. You also will need a REAL good 60ft at that power level, otherwise you will need even more power. None of the parts you listed are going to get you there at that weight & a factory shortblock will not survive at 850hp.

I just want to get my "it can be done" in early....:biggrin:
He can:
add 1.65 rockers
use thinner gaskets to raise the compression
who knows what these heads are flowing
Alky will fill the injector void
weight may make him have to tune for the last two tenths
Not restricted to the stock ECM adjustable chips
Use C-16 and Nitrous....
Now thats just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.
9.99 anyone care to agree?

You will never get enough spring on the stock cam setup to be able to reliably run the rpm needed to run 136mph which would be enough for 9's. Especially with the 3.90 gear. Read the thread i had about 1.5 years ago. I only made 2 passes that day i ran it and wound up at 10.29@133.4 with a 1.59 60'. 28.5psi. I had ran the car at 30-33 psi for a few months after that but never got any times at that boost level. It had 9 sec power for sure. Its very possible to do. The shortblock i used had 147k on it. I was at about 3600lbs or slightly over. At 3900lbs you will have to make at least 50hp more to hit the same mph. You will be able to use your shortblock if it hasnt been detonated, the Eastern Performance heads, and possibly the dfi if you are familiar with it . The rest is a no go. Looks like you need about another $7k worth of stuff to have the power to do it not including trans parts or other parts that may fail like the driveshaft.

im not kidding... injectors fire twice per cycle in batchfire mode. gen 6 dfi is batchfire
It wouldnt matter if they stayed on 100% of the time they will not be enough to go faster then 10.50@3900lbs.

thank you for the opinions. i will keep everyone posted on the progress.

thanks jason for the vote of confidence!

if it blows...no prob. i have six more engines to practice on!

im going rabbit hunting in spring...brer rabbit hunting!

A factory shortblock will not last above 550 horsepower or so. You need approx 725 at the wheels to run a 9.95 at 3900 lbs. You also will need a REAL good 60ft at that power level, otherwise you will need even more power. None of the parts you listed are going to get you there at that weight & a factory shortblock will not survive at 850hp.

it took me 630 to do it last time on a factory shortblock. they actually take it quite well. i think the key is to take em from mild to wild quick instead of beating on them for years while you inch toward your goal.

i think the key is to take em from mild to wild quick instead of beating on them for years while you inch toward your goal.

I agree. ill take another shot at it myself some day. Ill even run the same cam at the same installed and start with the same old program i had in my xfi. Ill be using some source of external pressure to hold the gate shut. With a 4 bolt it would have been a no brainer on what i had before.

They will be open constantly at 100% dc & still will not provide enough fuel for 9's at 3900lbs. Sorry:frown:

duty cycle is one of those things that always confused me...at 100% dc, the injector never shuts or is does the cycle have a specified time

duty cycle is one of those things that always confused me...at 100% dc, the injector never shuts or is does the cycle have a specified time
Yeah it never shuts. There is no cycle.