anybody own one of these revolvers?

I have not heard of breaking in a barrel. Is that specific to a revolver?

Neither have I. Barrels (specifically rifles since pistols are not accurate enough for one to notice) will usually be more accurate after the first 3-5 shots because the copper is filling in microscopic imperfections in the barrel making everything uniform.

I'm not saying turbosmackdown is incorrect, but I do know for a fact that FAR more barrels (rifle and pistol alike) have been worn down by over cleaning than shooting.

thats why, i said to use the cleaning equipment i did :) plus, remember to wipe with the bore brush, only one way, and not back and forth. its been common, to always punch a bore of a rifle, the same direction the bullet comes out, and opposite on a handgun. (im not sure why, i always go chamber to crown on evertything)
I always use coated one piece rods, no metal brushes, and always swab from chamber to crown. youll never wear a bore out by doing that. And im not trying to disprove the 'more have been worn out by cleaning than by shooting' statement but, we clean our weapons in the army ALL the time, and quite meticulously as well. never wore one out that way.... In fact, some of the best shooting i did, was with an ooooold M16A1, that must have been cleaned a hundred thousand times in its lifetime. :)

as far as the good shooting a little better after the copper has filled in some of the imperfections is true, and thats why one breaks in a rifle barrel. its smoothing it out in a way. look it up on google, im sure theres a million webpages on breakin in a barrel. they can word it better than i im sure. All I know is, the best of the best barrel makers, firelap (break in their barrels) before they even send em out to the customers. and, when our sniper rifles get rebarreled, they get broken in too. :)

The GP100 is a fine revolver but if you can afford it, get a 686. Heres mine...

sw1.jpg

My S&W 66-2 4" stainless. Plannin on polishing it, and throwin some new wood grips on er. Cant beat a good .357.

357.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a stainless 6" GP100 and it is dollar for dollar the best wheelgun I own. My favorite is my S&W 625-2 45ACP revolver it is a tack driver
Mike

Have you had the chance to handle one yet?
I'm still 100% satisfied with mine, and shoots so easy.
BTW, I picked up a Special edition Shooting Times magazine that was dedicated to all Ruger products and all the models they sell. One of the authors did a write up about the GP100, told about the history and even did a 5000 round test with it. He article was very good and he had nothing to say but praise about the GP100. He said even after 5000 rounds, the pistol was still as accurate as it was when new. Should be on the news stands today, I found it at Barnes & Noble.
HTH.
Patrick

Corey - I checked with Gander Mountain - didn't have it...wasn't sure what model I was talking about.

Cabella's - wanted 545 for it and they are 50 minutes south of me.

Local place in my town wanted 515 for it and I really do want to shop at my local small place if I can.

Patrick - I have not handled it yet. Should be ordered tomorrow and arrive next week sometime. :)

fortunately, the local place has an indoor gun range so I can go whenever.

yep, she sure is nice. Never jam, always super accurate, never rust, never break, and will knock the $hit out of pretty much anything. can shoot a BOATLOAD of different loads too, from reduced recoil, lead wadcutter paper punchers, which kick like a .22, all the way to +P+'s. Good purchase. Cheap and effective. Youll have to bring that thing down here one carmeet day, so we can trade guns for a round at 'double action gun range' here, where me and my team shoot.

I bought my first box of 357 today :biggrin:

Tomorrow I am headed to Cabella's to look for a holster. I think I am going to do a shoulder holster this time.

I would like one that just hangs on my side with a strap that runs up my side, around my neck, and down the same side of my back. I don't want an X harness that I put on like a shirt, something more like a laptop bag.

I want it to be horizontal draw too. Just to be different.

the things to consider (well, for us anyways) is quickness of draw, durability, and whether it holds moisture or not. (our guns are blued, not stainless)
Remember, if you cant draw it quick enough, its absolutely worthless. You will either A. lose the shot on your game if youre hunting, or die, if youre the hunted.

Gentlemen , id like to endorse two holster companies ive had stuff made from MERNICKLE HOLSTERS ...............and Holster for people you know Quality A bit pricier than your standard stuff but nice work and you know you get what you pay for :smile: the second one is called rafters i guess their link is different , mernickle has alot of styles and rafters is some very dressey skins and such .

I just noticed this thread so I'm a bit late, but I own a blue GP100 with the 6inch heavy barrell. I've had mine for probably about 5 years now and am extremely pleased with it. I shopped around looking at the S&W and Colt and came back to the Ruger. I scored it for $350 so I consider it money well spent. I guess my only complaint would be that with the 6" barrell it's too big to conceal and carry.

Woo HOOO!!!!!!! I picked it up today after work. I love it already and I haven't even fired it. Going to the range tomorrow.

Holster is a VERY tight fit (Bianchi Shadow II) but it will eventually break in I hope.

I will post a picture tomorrow :)

You're going to be very happy from the first shot. Smooth trigger pull and high accuracy out of the box. Honestly, it has to be the best gripped wheel gun I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.
Good luck and be safe.

Patrick

A GP100 ??? are you kidding ? Of course I have one of those...
6" and in stainless. :cool:
It's a very solid, well-built gun, and a great shooter.
This is what sits on my nightstand while I sleep.
Of course I have no pics of it, as it's one of the more boring guns I own....

Only the evil-looking and scary stuff is worthy of a pic.
Here's one of 'em with a silencer. :D

Walther P22 and a TAC65 suppressor. (yes it's legal)

Attachments

• p22tac65.JPG
    p22tac65.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 132