Astroroof Production Cars

Rauder

Does any one know if the Astroroof GN's tops were installed on the line at the factory, or were they taken off the line and sent out to another location for installation?
I'm talking about the CF5 option...

From what I understand the factory C5 cars were done at the factory but the dealer installed were done after obviously. By who I dont know?

I have an Astro Roof on my 87 Limited T.I actually don't mind it but after 20 years it needs fixing.I live in PA and Im sure it could be fixed but at what price I don't know.

It's my understanding that any of the Gbody cars with the astroroof option would work. The unit would be the same assembly/part #. If you're looking for parts for the astroroof be prepared for crazy prices. 3 years ago I was looking at $200 just for a used electric motor! There are benefits and drawbacks to having rare options. :rolleyes:

Was a option that was factory installed. The dealer could have them done and there was a few aftermarket company's that did them

CF5 was the code and it was MSRP $925.00 and they were invoiced at $786.25

At least that's the way it was on my 86.

If you need a complete used unit or parts for it try contacting BWeavy from the boars here at gbodypart.com I'm sure he's got a few laying around down there!

GM never kept track of how many were ordered that way so it's pretty much impossible to figure out. With the cost and weight one thing is for sure not that many I'm sure!

Was a option that was factory installed. The dealer could have them done and there was a few aftermarket company's that did them

CF5 was the code and it was MSRP $925.00 and they were invoiced at $786.25

At least that's the way it was on my 86.

If you need a complete used unit or parts for it try contacting BWeavy from the boars here at gbodypart.com I'm sure he's got a few laying around down there!

GM never kept track of how many were ordered that way so it's pretty much impossible to figure out. With the cost and weight one thing is for sure not that many I'm sure!

Thanks for the Info Jim:)

GM, didn't keep track of how many Turbo cars got the astro roof but there was right around 2560 of them installed in ALL models of Regals in 87. I have a astro roof in my 87-GN and knock on wood Iv'e never had one problem with it yet.

well if your lookin for cheap an hard to find parts you might give the guys at speedy way auto salvage a call all they carry is BUICK 1-800-425-8960 ;)

GM, didn't keep track of how many Turbo cars got the astro roof but there was right around 2560 of them installed in ALL models of Regals in 87. I have a astro roof in my 87-GN and knock on wood Iv'e never had one problem with it yet.

I had asked someone at GM many many years ago about this (my 86 came with it), and in reference to 86 GN's only, he said a good rule of thumb was that very close to 10% of total GN production in 86 received the factory moonroof option. That would mean something close to 510+ CF5's in 86 GN's (not all regals).

well if your lookin for cheap an hard to find parts you might give the guys at speedy way auto salvage a call all they carry is BUICK 1-800-425-8960 ;)

I can't tell if my Astro Roof is stuck,off track or what.It did start to leak rain water inside my car.Where the Astro Roof slides in there is rust.The glass is fine it just won't open or close.I hear the motor though but I don't know what that means with these things.:rolleyes:

well the clutch on mine was getting too loose and started chattering. the thing barely had enough oomf to go back and forth. so i just silconed it for now to prevent leaks. i bought the astroroof manual with the parts diagram and troubleshooting guide.

If you go by Kirbans book, it says.....

An astroroof can also be called a moonroof, slider, or sunroof in the promotional or by car owners. GM refers to it as an astroroof . In the 1986-1987 Regal models , it had a GM suggested retail price of $925. This made it a little more costly than the $895 T-Tops option. The code for the astroroof option on the trunk ID label is "CF5" for both the 1986 and 1987 models. This is important to remember because there are various other aftermarket astroroofs that could have been installed, either when the car was new at the dealership or at some point after being bought from the dealer.

Because of the rarity of the astroroof option, getting it repaired at the dealer can be a problem. According to GM books, the astroroof was an option not only for the Regal, but the Oldsmobile Cutlass and Pontiac Grand Prix, as well. It was never offered on the 1986-1987 Monte Carlo SS models.

ASC, the company that produced the GNXs also made the original astroroofs. The most popular AFTERMARKET astroroof you will see is also made by ASC, but was installed at the dealer.The controll button on the dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be black plastic and they will NOT have the removable plastic plug option to insert the auxiliary crank tool.

The dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be approximately two inches shorter in width than the factory-installed astroroof. The other difference is the color of the glass. The factory astroroof has a silver tint to the glass.The dealer- installed ASC version will NOT have this silver tint to the glass.Both ASC versions do include a matching cloth slider that matches the headliner inside the car.

I don't know if any of this information has changed since the book was printed back in 1997 or so, if so sorry!:frown:

Just some information that I just read in his book earlier this morning as a matter of fact, so I just figured I would pass it along. :p

more info.......

Buick did not keep figures on how many Turbo Regals in either year received either the T-Tops or Astroroofs. Their figures reflect the entire Regal production Based on what I know for the model year 1987, a total of 9,415 Regals (all types) got the T-Tops and 2,560 Regals (all types) got the astroroof option.

Just so you know,
At one point Kirban sold a 1984-1987 Buick Regal Sunroof and T-Tops Trouble Shooter Booklet which covers all the problems that may arise.

Dont know how I did it, but I was lucky enough to get in touch with a board member who was selling a brand new, never used, entire astroroof assembly! Cost $300. Dont hate me! :)

As I said, if you can grab parts now, do it. They are going to skyrocket in price over the next few years. I don't know that anyone has plans to make an aftermarket replacement motor for these astroroof's, and the motors are the weak link. The plastic cogs get eatin up by the metal worm drive gear. You'll know when it starts to fail because it will get a loud rat-tat-tat-tat noise going every time you attempt to open or close the unit.

Not sure but besides the Regals, Cutlass and Grand Pricks..

One of the parts monkeys at a local salvage yard, now closed/cleaned out for about 6 months, told me the early 80's Eldorados (plus he thought Toronados + some other GMs) had the same moonroof.

He said he knew someday they'd be worth saving but recalled most, that he saw, went right thru the yard & off to the crusher because at the time they were time consuming to remove with no demand.

Not very encouraging words! :frown: