Best 17" wheel/tire combo? 17" wheel owners only!

245/45/17
275/40/17

hello people; Diaz 87 could you talk about your suspension modes? It can't be stock.
I have 16x8 kirbans with 245-50 tire and when you turn the wheel all the way to the left it does rub the inner fender a little. Do you think the off set is not correct or is it just my car?
IBBY

hello people; Diaz 87 could you talk about your suspension modes? It can't be stock.
I have 16x8 kirbans with 245-50 tire and when you turn the wheel all the way to the left it does rub the inner fender a little. Do you think the off set is not correct or is it just my car?
IBBY

I would consider some new springs or something else worn in the front end. I had a 79 sport coupe that was all original except shocks and I had the same size wheel and tire, billet specialties and comp t/a vr4s (something like that) and they never rubbed on corners. Now if I was burrying the speedo and hit one of those awesome dips on I29, that's a different story....

hello people; Now you learn something new every day and I've never heard of those F tires your runnin. That tire tread pattern is unique. Also Simmons wheels are no more correct?
Is there a pic. of your car somewhere showing them off?
IBBY

Simmons are no more. Vredesteins tires are great - they don't track in the ruts, are very quiet, and since they are asymmetrical they can be rotated. I am getting ready to get another set for my new Mazda 3 since I am so happy with them on my Buick.

As far as pictures:

At a car show in Los Lunas, New Mexico:

DSC00053.jpg

In the garage in Albuquerque - so you can see how the offset looks:

DSC00071.jpg

At a car gathering in Albuquerque:

Tlowered.jpg

A picture of my T in Germany:

DSC_0921-01.jpg

Getting the heck out of New Mexico heading back to Texas!!!!

_CAR8590.jpg

Rob

hello people; I learned another thing and that is asymetrical tires. That's a plus. Tell me are you going to rotate left to right. And have you done that before as I just rotate front to back.
IBBY

It all depends how much you want to lower your car. If you don't actually lower it enough to tuck the tires, you can pretty much get away with whatever you want. A front 17x8 w/ 4" bs will rub on a car that attempts to tuck the tires.

With the B-body spindles, I'd consider going to a 4.75-5" b.s. That seems to be typical for the G-bodies with that swap.

My combo uses 17x8's on all 4 corners, the front b.s. is 4.75", the rear is 4.25". Running a 245/45R17 front, and a 275/40R17 NT555R rear drag radial (narrow, so it looks great on an 8" rim). The next step up for Billet Specialties is a 9.5", and I didn't want to have to roll/trim the rear quarter lips. I had to park it before winter before getting miles on it, I will probably need a front 0.25" spacer due to frame rub at steering lock. However, that's fine, as it will account for C5 brake growth if necessary in the future. The rear 4.25" b.s. is for rear disc brake growth, you can get away with 4", depending how wide the rear tire is and how straight your body is on the chassis.

Here's a few pics... yeah, it's a Cutlass, but the wheel tubs are pretty close. (and yes, the front tire is backwards, it was the RF wheel on the LF side)

outside2.jpg

outside3.jpg

for most a spacer will be req'd on 5.0 BS...anyway i'm thinking i should have went with 17x8 that would tuck in on a lowered car much better (without fender mod) but the tire foot print changes...the 275 tire looks fatter on a 9.5:cool:

Is anyone running a 17x9.5 with 5" backspacing on the rear?

5" backspacing on my rear 18x9.5" with alum drums no problems on my GN. Transferred the wheels to my Dad's 87 Limited w/ steel drums had to run a 1/8th inch spacer to clear the frame.

Front wheels are 17x8" w/ 4" backspace. I like the 4" over the 4.5" because it sets the wheel out some. Obviously, check your car, make sure body is centered on the frame, etc. I dont plan on ever putting it down in the weeds up front so Im not worried about the tires touching the fenders.

HTH

I was thinking 17x8 in front w/4.5" BS and 17x9 in back with 275-40-17s in back w/4.0 " BS and 245-45-17 in front. I do not want to fender roll. My car will be lowered with Eibach springs. Wondering what people have done and what the most you fit under those wells was. Thanks for any info. I do NOT need posts telling me to go 18's or 16's or whatever. I'm set on17's.

Scott I have a set of the 17" ZR1 replicas sitting on a pallet at work if you wanna borrow one and take some measurements/see how it fits. :cool:

Thanks guys. I almost never see my H/O either :redface:

It only had about 400 miles put on it from May - Sept this year due to an insane work schedule, and I didn't go to any local cruise nights at all with the exception of Downers Grove once. It had stock wheels up until November this year as well, so it wasn't that noticeable. I was going to stop by the last TR cruise with it to see a few people on the board I know, but it got canceled for lack of interest. I should be out next year (fingers crossed). I was at 159th and Bell a few times, but never for the whole night. We do like heading up there.

finally got mine on over the holidays, the front needs to be lower for me. the eibachs ain't low enough.
17x7 fronts, 17x9.5 rears Centerline Revs with powdercoat centers
1-06-11c.jpg

1-06-11d.jpg

finally got mine on over the holidays, the front needs to be lower for me. the eibachs ain't low enough.
17x7 fronts, 17x9.5 rears Centerline Revs with powdercoat centers
1-06-11c.jpg

1-06-11d.jpg

Off topic, but the flat black paint looks really good to me.