Buddy Wants To Run GN in '05 Legacy GT

Ryan's87

I've got a 87 GN with a rebuilt engine and minor bolt ons. I put a aluminum mass airflow pipe in with K & N airfilter, and a Dutweiller modified neck on the intercooler. My buddy wants to run his '05 Legacy GT against it. He says its turbo charged awd 245 hp. Just wondering what anyone thinks about outcome? Tight race or domination one way or the other?

well i just looked up the Legacy GT 1/4 mile and that is a whoppin 14.7 with a 5.7 to 60... this was the manual trans aswell

so i think if you can leave with any boost and the car is in proper tune you should walk away with this one... if you have to leave the line with no boost though i think it will be close but again i think you should win...

with your car running right you should have no problem. i was looking at a wrx the other day at the subaru delaership (not really intrested, but it sounded fun) the sales guy talked about those cars like they were worth their weight in gold. he gave them far more credit than an sti. i don't think they would be that big of a deal honestly, the wrx i drove that was only slightly on the quick side had this guy raving about its power, and a stock gn would have walked all over the wrx. i would be prepared to play a little catch up if the guy can drive it, but they are touchy i couldnt' get that car to come out of the hole for nothing, it would either bog down or just not come to life, i guess they have a very small happy place.

if you have any doubts throw a few gallons of 110 in the tank and it should be a pretty easy win.

The new legacys have run 13.8's 13.9's COMPLETELY STOCK. So beware it might be your ass on the table ;)

Don-

I believe (could be wrong, and have been known to be so) they are a detuned version of the STI's 2.5L. Probably with some computer work and an exhaust they would be really quick.

Originally posted by ACLR8R
I believe (could be wrong, and have been known to be so) they are a detuned version of the STI's 2.5L. Probably with some computer work and an exhaust they would be really quick.

You are correct sir...

Don

My ex-neighbor bought one and her husband took me for a ride in it. No B.S., that car felt quick. Awsome car, I'd love to have one for a DD

Originally posted by Beecha91
You are correct sir...

Don

I was under the impression that they had a smaller turbo and weaker internals than the STi.

Originally posted by SyHopeful
I was under the impression that they had a smaller turbo and weaker internals than the STi.
Has just a small step smalller turbo and I mean SMALL. Tuning has a big part too... but the internals are the exact same :)

Don-

Let me assure you "quick" is very relative and deceiving. A buddy of mine had a 1970 Mach I with built 351 Cleveland. It sounded fantastic and hit the gears like you wouldn't believe. I would have bet big $ it was a low 12 second car. He's raced many a car but took it to the track late last year and we were both shocked at the results..... Mid - low 13 second runs at best.

My point is this; even if it feels quick and is balls-walls fun it may not be the case when a stopwatch is concerned.

Be careful, these are just detuned STi’s. A GN should have no problem getting by a GT in stock form but if it’s been modified you may have a problem on your hands. The Subeee’s have a deep after market following and the only way you will know it’s been modified is when their front fender starts pulling ahead and your open mouth ketches air.;)

Originally posted by VinsGN
Be careful, these are just detuned STi’s. A GN should have no problem getting by a GT in stock form but if it’s been modified you may have a problem on your hands. The Subeee’s have a deep after market following and the only way you will know it’s been modified is when their front fender starts pulling ahead and your open mouth ketches air.;)
The Turbo Regal crowd has a deep after market following and the only way you know it's modified is when you see it blast past you. I know for a fact there aren't many totally stock Turbo Buicks left on the road today so the chance a modified Sti runs against a totally stock TR is slim at best. I'd put $ on damn near any street driven TR being able to stromp any run of the mill STi.

Fact is, a majority of TR's on the road are modified in some way to enhance performance. The majority of STis aren't. The #'s simply don't favor an STi.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
The Turbo Regal crowd has a deep after market following and the only way you know it's modified is when you see it blast past you. I know for a fact there aren't many totally stock Turbo Buicks left on the road today so the chance a modified Sti runs against a totally stock TR is slim at best. I'd put $ on damn near any street driven TR being able to stromp any run of the mill STi.

Fact is, a majority of TR's on the road are modified in some way to enhance performance. The majority of STis aren't. The #'s simply don't favor an STi.

I beg to differ on that. At least with an STI you can drive the car everyday if you wanted. Driving a Gn/Type everyday wouldnt be as fun nor would you want to in fear of breaking something or wrecking the car in some way. Even tho it can be done. At least thats how I feel when I drive MY GN. Plus now after two years of the STI's being out theres probably more STI's on the road than TR's. The sti's now finally have turbo kits outs for them their making from 400-500 whp depending on the set up. You'd be surprised how many are already modded. You cant tell it from stock other than exhaust which every STI probably has anyway til you hear the external wastegate purge in your ear. Hell a STI with just exhaust is mid 12s if you can drive it. Theres a lot A LOT of street driven daily driver STI's in the 11's. In STREET race like your talkin, Id have MY money on a 400+ whp STI than a 11 second GN. Im pushing 400 hp in my subaru and I cant imagine not having awd to put the hp to the ground. Makes for a great daily driver. Dont get me wrong tho, you can never tell anything is done to a gn til its too late. MY .02's

Don

Stock Looking

I beg to differ on that back. I've seen MANY highly modified TRs that don't look modified on the exterior.

My Limited looked as stock as stock can be (click link below). It didn't look nor did it sound like an 11 second Regal but it was. Not to mention it was a fine daily driver that got GREAT gas mileage. Ok...so the tires are aftermarket but what can you say after 18 years :).

Are you saying there aren't more modified TRs than STi's?? I wasn't talking pure #'s, I meant % wise because there just aren't many purely stock Turbo Regals left on the planet. Just about every one you see on the road is modified to some degree. The same just can't be said about STi's. What % of TRs on the road today are modified?....I'd say 95% or so. Are 95% of STis modified?....I don't think so.

On a side note if an STi is pushing 400-500 HP I'd sure LOVE to see that dyno sheet not to mention video clips of those high 10 - low 11 second 1/4 blasts. I'd also like to see some 12 second video clips 'cuz I just can't see that happening without HUGE modifications not only in the engine/drivetrain but structurally as well. I have plenty of very quick 1/4 TR blasts. Just click the WEBSITE button below.

Re: Stock Looking

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I beg to differ on that back. I've seen MANY highly modified TRs that don't look modified on the exterior.

My Limited looked as stock as stock can be (click link below). It didn't look nor did it sound like an 11 second Regal but it was. Not to mention it was a fine daily driver that got GREAT gas mileage. Ok...so the tires are aftermarket but what can you say after 18 years :).

Are you saying there aren't more modified TRs than STi's?? I wasn't talking pure #'s, I meant % wise because there just aren't many purely stock Turbo Regals left on the planet. Just about every one you see on the road is modified to some degree. The same just can't be said about STi's. What % of TRs on the road today are modified?....I'd say 95% or so. Are 95% of STis modified?....I don't think so.

On a side note if an STi is pushing 400-500 HP I'd sure LOVE to see that dyno sheet not to mention video clips of those high 10 - low 11 second 1/4 blasts. I'd also like to see some 12 second video clips 'cuz I just can't see that happening without HUGE modifications not only in the engine/drivetrain but structurally as well. I have plenty of very quick 1/4 TR blasts. Just click the WEBSITE button below.

Maybe if you were'nt so closed minded and saw what new technology has to offer. Even tho there maybe more modded TR's than Sti's as you say (true or not true who knows). At least your gonna see more STI's than Tr's on a day in day out basis. Which give you more of a chance to see one thats been modded. A FINE daily driver doesnt make it a fun. I need a car that can handle(wet or dry, snow even), stop, get decent milage, and not just be fast in a straight line. Im just saying theres probably more STI's out there now after being out two years already than TR's/GN's. When you figure STI's run 13 flats to a 12.9 if you can drive STOCK. Most guys when they get a new car do exhaust first and with just full exhaust you can run mid 12's. That would take a few more bolt ons for a turbo regal to get that far. Granted, not much more but still more than JUST exhaust to hit mid 12s. Plus wouldnt need a race gas tune to hit mid 12s like you would probaby in a stock TR/GN with bolt ons. Then you would need traction, so add in some nittos or slicks etc etc.

When the Sti's first came out no one had turbo kits for them so they had to rely on the bigger turbos that wrx's have been using for a few years. Then finally people were making GT30/GT35R turbo kits fully custom nicely built kits. Youd be surprised how many people are already puting these kits on their cars. Id say at least 3 outta 5 STi owners have a bigger turbo of some kind. Ones with the smaller but bigger than stock turbos, run low 12s. The GT30/GT35 make anywhere from 400-500 WHP depending on the tune and gas and run low 11s to high 11s depending on the gas and tune.

STOCK BOLT ON STI THREAD
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754781

GT30R DYno #'s race gas
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762413
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717184
GT30 Dyno #'s pump gas
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710836

Bigger turbo pump gas #'s
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739660

Times
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716174

Don-

Re: Re: Stock Looking

Originally posted by Beecha91
Maybe if you were'nt so closed minded
Don-
This is infelicitous and unnecessary to go in this direction with an otherwise good discussion. An attitude displayed here deserves no further rebuttals. What a shame....:(

Enjoy.....

well none the less, i still enjoy pulling up to a 40,000 dollar STI and kicking its ass in my 7,000 dollar GN

Joshua

Just browsing saw discussion i raced an sti about 2 1/2 weeks ago wasnt too impressed not to knock them but i blew his doors off and i have a hot air buick !!! he jumped out for about a sec (and i got to say for those import guys those blow off valves sound nice ass hell) when the light turned green but when i got got traction it was goodbye to him further down the road i went into my job and in came the sti owner saying whos car is that in the parking lot i played it off like it wasnt mine for a few saying not sure why?? he said the car just beat me and i wanted to talk to the owner about it its quick then i said its actually my car the guy didnt believe it im only 19 years old still have alot to learn about these turbo buicks but its nice to have a car from 84 that can smoke newer cars my car isnt the nicest out there when it comes to looks (needs paint) but when it comes down too it after all my hard work and doubting of the hot airs im sticking with the car hard work pays off
dont be worried you should be able to beat the gt no problem

great discusson Anthony

Apparently some believe those sh1t boxes are the end-all, be-all of performance automobiles. Hardly........ :rolleyes:

Most Stubbies I see run in the 13s. I think the biggest issue is the driver not knowing how to launch it. The will contine to get faster. I first saw the Neons run low 14s then mid 13s now I see several running in the 12s. I have a 2004 GT wagon and wish is was a turbo :) , its a nice handling driver with the capcity to carry extra stuff.