Buddy Wants To Run GN in '05 Legacy GT

Here's a vid all of you would enjoy, lol. It's an STi (don't know the year, don't care) That has "500 HP" and runs.... wait for it... 12.1. However, the owner was expecting a 10.5, apparently.. :rolleyes:

YouTube - WRX STI 500+ HP

That is probably one of the funniest videos i've seen, typical ricer. Screaming and hollering, the gloves and the hat are so funny.

Man im cracking up so much!!!! :D :D :p :p

I cant believe he even posted that on Youtube, i would NEVER post that on youtube.

-Adam

They were throwin' a party because they beat a 16 second Toyota Matrix..:rolleyes: "Shack and all", "F**ked yes" and others are funny, typical ricer lines. If I were the guy in the timeslip booth I would've punched him in the face and yelled at him for not wearing a helmet. lmao..

They were throwin' a party because they beat a 16 second Toyota Matrix..:rolleyes: "Shack and all", "F**ked yes" and others are funny, typical ricer lines. If I were the guy in the timeslip booth I would've punched him in the face and yelled at him for not wearing a helmet. lmao..

LOL. If I were the guy in the timeshack, I woulda smacked the **it outta him too. Though, just for being a ricer, and no other reason. lol.

I have both an wrx and stock GN. My wrx has made a great daily driver the past 6 yrs and its gone through the different stages.

Street light to street light, i'd put my money on the GN. Automatic and lowend torque makes it more consistent when launching from a light.

Also, the big horsepower subarus have lots of lag. From a stop, it will take awhile to get them going. But once it does, its a whole other ball game. Handling wise, it feels so much better at higher speeds.

Subaru's were designed for something else, not drag racing. It just so happens that little stock turbo opens the door for new comers to thrive for more power. Before its too late you've spent thousands of dollars on building a 11sec car. Do i regret doing what i did? No because its taught me a lot about turbo cars and i've had fun doing it.

If it wasn't for subaru, i probably wouldn't have ever felt comfortable buying a GN or TTA.

Respect this!
YouTube - 100 Racecar Jump

The White car in my sig is totally stock engine with the exception of what it takes to run E-85 in it. It hasn't found a STI that it doesn't own yet or that AMG C32 yesterday for that matter and that was @ a 70 MPH punch.

BTW: I have driven this car everyday for the last 2 years, TRs are great daily drivers if you take care of them...nuff said

Sorry to revive this one....but I have an actual data point on the Legacy GT vs. stock 87 GN debate.

Raced a newer Legacy GT tonight. Stayed even down low but up to he took me. See my sig for my combo.

My GN tends has an initial WOT boost spike that makes me peddle a little, and tends to fall on its face a bit in the upper RPM range of each gear...almost like it wants to shift but can't. In fact...low to mid RPM in each gear I would pull him a little (or gain a little ground once he was passing me), but at the higher RPM, is where he was getting me. Maybe if I was running right I could have stuck with him better, or beat him.

I asked him what mods he had and he said all stock other then an exhaust set up.

I've gone against WRX's plenty and tend to pull away from them from start to finish. Have not tried an STi...but I know how it would end.

I need alchy....and to figure out why I go flat in upper RPM. I dunno if the tranny is shifting late and out of the power band (LED tach is redlined and the boost gauge gets eratic when it happens...no KR), or if I have a valve spring issue (104K miles on stock springs). I'll be pulling the exhaust elbow soon to do some porting....hope that helps.

sigh...I hate losing....:frown:

Losing to a 15 sec car does suck. :frown: I"ve followed your posts about all the problems and tuning you have done to your car, but I have to tell you that even @ 16 pounds of boost on a stock car.. you should have easily won that race. :) A stock TR with raised boost should hit 12s with very little problem. I had a car once that ran funny and didn't pull very well on the high end...come to find out I had a flat lobe on number 3 and number 5 but you would have never known it running around town... I didn't have alot places at the time to really do any testing. Only when I raced at the track and it wouldn't pick up on the big end did I know I had a problem. :eek:

Get those VALVE springs changed first off.

Something is not right. Maybe you should take ol TurboLou down there in SoCal for a ride and see what he says. Good guy and been doing Buicks since dirt was invented :biggrin: Please don't tell him I mentioned his age :tongue:

Nah...it wasn't no 15 second car.:tongue:
The 07-08 Legacy GT's like this one I got punked by, are faster than that....and in spite of the issues my GN is having....it's faster than that too.

My GTP is a 15.0 car, and my GN leaves it in the dust....also...I beat up on mid 14 WRX's routinely with the GN, and have spoiled the day of a couple non V8 M3's too.:biggrin:

I do need to go see Lou. He's literally 10 minutes from my house. I know him and had him look the car over for me when I first bought it. He's also done some small jobs for me, but I need to let him work his magic and be done with it.

The 07-08 Legacy GT's like this one I got punked by, are faster than that....and in spite of the issues my GN is having....it's faster than that too.

My GTP is a 15.0 car, and my GN leaves it in the dust....also...I beat up on mid 14 WRX's routinely with the GN, and have spoiled the day of a couple non V8 M3's too.:biggrin:

I do need to go see Lou. He's literally 10 minutes from my house. I know him and had him look the car over for me when I first bought it. He's also done some small jobs for me, but I need to let him work his magic and be done with it.

Ok then a low 14 sec car on a good day, I doubt even with his mods he is in the high 13s. The best time I could find for a stock 2008 GT ( Limited or otherwise )was around 14.5 seconds. With his mods low 14s ?? Also their 0-60 times are way off even a stock GN. You should have pulled him easily @ the first. An 6 M3 is a mid 13s car..mmm sounds like your car is picking choosing when to run right. :confused:

I see you have a scanmaster, great tool but they are not well suited for letting you know shift points and the like. Find another TR person around you that has Directscan or similar( I'm assuming here that you don't have a laptop scan tool ). Or take the trip down to Lou's and use his :biggrin:

If the car is not shifting right then that is death for a GN's performance potential

My first GN was pretty much all stock( except intake and exhaust ). I sold that car to a guy in Sweden ( still miss that car :mad: ) Anyways their gas is even worse than Cali gas and he went 12.7 - 12.8s on street tires on 15-16 psi.

Let us know how it goes

Something is wrong. Get the car checked out before you have to put a engine it. If its not shifting right, there's a big problem right there. Comp 980 valvesprings are only $45 from Summit for the set of 12. Thats next on my list. And get an accurate tach too. My car could lay waste to most cars on the road if it could actually hook. 25psi + alcohol will go through some rubber... Need to refine the tune some more as well.

Just be carefull.

Last year I took my GN to Moroso Motor sports for hot rod Sunday. I took my car for the car show not the track event. Any way my friends started to give me $hit about not taking the car down the track at least one time. So I made two passes that day and one of those was with a STi. I spanked him by two car lengths if not more. My car is an stock engine that has minor bolt on's, TE44 turbo, 38lb inj, red armstrong chip, the car had street tires and a full tank of 93 Oct. Not track ready at all and boosting 18psi.

I think that you should go for it. I think you will have no problems at all.:biggrin:

Ok then a low 14 sec car on a good day, I doubt even with his mods he is in the high 13s. The best time I could find for a stock 2008 GT ( Limited or otherwise )was around 14.5 seconds. With his mods low 14s ?? Also their 0-60 times are way off even a stock GN. You should have pulled him easily @ the first. An 6 M3 is a mid 13s car..mmm sounds like your car is picking choosing when to run right. :confused:

I see you have a scanmaster, great tool but they are not well suited for letting you know shift points and the like. Find another TR person around you that has Directscan or similar( I'm assuming here that you don't have a laptop scan tool ). Or take the trip down to Lou's and use his :biggrin:

If the car is not shifting right then that is death for a GN's performance potential

My first GN was pretty much all stock( except intake and exhaust ). I sold that car to a guy in Sweden ( still miss that car :mad: ) Anyways their gas is even worse than Cali gas and he went 12.7 - 12.8s on street tires on 15-16 psi.

Let us know how it goes

Actually it does run better on some runs than others....
That's one reason why I think this might be more bolt on component/tune related than valve train related.
Idles rich (usually over 800)
Chugs gas more than normal (in about 150 miles I seem to burn 3/4 tank)
Sometimes IAC is a bit high (40-60) at idle.
Blm at 122...etc...etc...
....and I have the TT chip nearly max'd out with fuel to keep the KR down below 2-3 and pulled one degree of timing in 1st gear.
Anyway....I promise:D ....not all V6 M3s are 13 second cars....probably year and mod dependent because even my GTP can stay even with some of the 5 year old or older models.....and I'm convinced that BMW fudges their perf data.:biggrin:

I did stay ahead of this 07-08 Legacy GT off the line and up to about 60. He caught me when my WOT issues slowed me down in the top of 2nd and top of 3rd.

Something is wrong. Get the car checked out before you have to put a engine it. If its not shifting right, there's a big problem right there. Comp 980 valvesprings are only $45 from Summit for the set of 12. Thats next on my list. And get an accurate tach too. My car could lay waste to most cars on the road if it could actually hook. 25psi + alcohol will go through some rubber... Need to refine the tune some more as well.

Just be carefull.

I'm trying....but I lack discipline sometimes.
I am keepiong it out of serius KR (over 3.0)
I've got an appointment with Lou on saturday....time to nip it in the bud.:biggrin:

I'm trying....but I lack discipline sometimes.
I am keepiong it out of serius KR (over 3.0)
I've got an appointment with Lou on saturday....time to nip it in the bud.:biggrin:

Time for alky!!!! :D :D :D

I HAD the same problem till Lou added the Alky. All problems were solved.

Time for alky!!!! :D :D :D

I HAD the same problem till Lou added the Alky. All problems were solved.

I hear ya, bruh.

I was kinda wanting to do my exhaust next....the 20 year old turbo mufflers with rusted through holes and original cat gotta be causing me some of this pain.....but if Lou recommends alchy first.....then alchy and a matching chip it is.

I hear ya, bruh.

I was kinda wanting to do my exhaust next....the 20 year old turbo mufflers with rusted through holes and original cat gotta be causing me some of this pain.....but if Lou recommends alchy first.....then alchy and a matching chip it is.
Valve springs...valve springs...did I say valve springs. Lift up on the gas about a 1/4 at WOT just before it falls on it's face and it'll shift hard and good. Did I say valve springs..
3.0 KR is hard knock :confused: crap guess I need to stop pushing thru 18.0 :eek:

I would care to put in my 2 cents.

My DD GN runs 12.2 with nothing more than a gutted cat, a Cone filter, 009 injectors and DIY alchy kit. Most of these items I found here and there as someones scrap for just put together with a few cheap parts. The Chip was the most money I spent. It runs 12.2 on BFG radial TA with a 2.2 60' at 110.

If I slap on the DR's it runs 11's. I am sorry to say but I have never seen a stock WRX run 13's. Not saying they cant I just have never seen it around here.

Some of you

Are missing the whole point here. The G/N was the hottest car of the 80's. By todays standards its a little outdated, but still gets alot of respect by car guys and highly regarded. Why? Because just even the simplist mods can really make the car a true sleeper. Its a classic. So what if someone with a STI is faster? Or any other newer car? Its what the car scene is all about folks! Technology has come a long way in the last 20 years with cars. If I have any doubt about the performance of another car on the road I go home and get my suzuki B king which I paid just $11,200 for, STOCK it will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and the 1/4 in 9.93 at 141mph. :smile:

Are missing the whole point here. The G/N was the hottest car of the 80's. By todays standards its a little outdated, but still gets alot of respect by car guys and highly regarded. Why? Because just even the simplist mods can really make the car a true sleeper. Its a classic. So what if someone with a STI is faster? Or any other newer car? Its what the car scene is all about folks! Technology has come a long way in the last 20 years with cars. If I have any doubt about the performance of another car on the road I go home and get my suzuki B king which I paid just $11,200 for, STOCK it will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and the 1/4 in 9.93 at 141mph. :smile:

Ya but...if I can get your back wheel with my front fender before you get away from me....I win!!!!!:D
Now THATS.....technology...

Dude, no disrespect but, you're crazy sayin' legacys are fast. any stock TR would put such a beat down on a legacy it wouldnt be funny. You car is SERIOUSLY in need of some help. If I were you I wouldnt even drive that car anymore. You could have a worn lobe, valve springs, fuel pump, anything. You may be damaging your car everyday and not know it. PLEASE take it to lou, and have him check over your systems again. :)