Cam sensor timing

DannyJov

Do Not Buy From Me
Sorry to Sound desperate but it has officially driven me crazy.. Something this simple has been completely blown out of proportion and it's taken me way too long. I keep finding other issues and begin to get side-tracked with fixing them. Well now I'm back to it and I now need to time my cam sensor. Those instructions on gnttype.org and all the steps don't se to make sense to me. For some reason I just can get it. I went 25* past TDC but my cam just doesn't want to fit all the way down in the hole. It sits a few centimeters too high.. Is it not lining up with the gears or drive shaft in the oil pump..?..beats me..
I need someone's help..I've been trying to do this for a while now and most of you guys on here can do it within 5 min. How on earth can I time my sensor and properly get it in so I can start my motor without blowing up mom and dads house..or every worse..destroying my timing chains. I need someone's help or instructions on how to do this. It's been so long that I really want to throw the towel in but that's not an option anymore. Please anyone...(lol)...HEEEEEEELLLLPPP meeeeeee
Thanks in advance

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

reach down in the hole with a flat head screwdriver and turn the pump shaft a little. It'll drop down when you've got it lined up. If you're running a new silver seal cover you might have to pull it off to make sure the holes are concentric. If you're running that used one you showed on the other thread (and it's been ran before) it should just be an indexing problem. No big deal.

Ok so is there any way you can break that down for me. I'm so sorry for sounding arrogant but I'm really hard headed when it comes to this...so I turn the pump with a flat head then what? Which direction ? And yes it is the silver cover that I recently posted pics on

Checkout vortex buicks for a different take on instructions or cottons website has some also.

Make sure you lube the O ring as that will hang up and not let it seat all the way if your trying to push it in by hand. You can use a block of wood and lightly tap it into place to overcome the o ring.

What I did was line up the oil pump drive so it was aligned with 1 o'clock as viewed from the driver side fender. Dropped the sensor in then picked it up and rotate 1 tooth at a time clockwise and repeat until it dropped a little further than the other attempts.
Block of wood and a two taps of a hammer handle and it went in. Many ways to do it. HTH.

Checkout vortex buicks for a different take on instructions or cottons website has some also.

Make sure you lube the O ring as that will hang up and not let it seat all the way if your trying to push it in by hand. You can use a block of wood and lightly tap it into place to overcome the o ring.

What I did was line up the oil pump drive so it was aligned with 1 o'clock as viewed from the driver side fender. Dropped the sensor in then picked it up and rotate 1 tooth at a time clockwise and repeat until it dropped a little further than the other attempts.
Block of wood and a two taps of a hammer handle and it went in. Many ways to do it. HTH.

Ok so standing at the drivers side fender..the slit in the drive shaft should be at 1 o'clock? How should I line up the rest of the cam sensor(all the dots and markings)

Just turn the pump shaft a little at a time. The cam sensor will drop down when you guess correctly and the slot in the pump shaft lines up with the tang on the bottom of the cam sensor.

or you can turn the engine until it drops down, then reset the crank to 25*ATDC

Ok so looking at the balancer...where do I mark 25* ATDC...is it after the factory engraved mark (clockwise) or before the mark(counterclock wise)

Its to the left of the factory mark when looking down from above. The engine turns clockwise when viewed from the front.

Here is a copy of Casper's Cam Set Tool instruction ant it will show you where place the mark on the harmonic balancer

Attachments

• Cam Tool for injector 102075.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 149
Its to the left of the factory mark when looking down from above. The engine turns clockwise when viewed from the front.
Here is a copy of Casper's Cam Set Tool instruction ant it will show you where place the mark on the harmonic balancer

Thank you a ton guys I'm about to put my big boy pants on and try it out lol I'll let you know how it goes if I have anymore questions ill be sure to ask!!

O
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1383516609.966389.jpg

Ok so this is where I'm at now. Should be just about 25* ATDC. Now should I slide the cam sensor in?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1383516781.973707.jpg

I stuck a screw driver into #1 and this was how deep it went..does this seem right to you guys??

Just about 3/4 of an inch is my guess. Is that too much for 25* past TDC ...?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1383520135.226392.jpg

Do I line everything up with that dot inside the hole my cam goes into or how do I know which direction to slide the cam in. Does it matter which direction the cam goes it like the direction the window notch is facing or what? Help guys!!

My suggestion to you is make sure your #1 cylinder is at top stroke, and then look to see at the balancer original factory TDC marking is at "0".
Once you have that then look at the PDF file I sent you; place the tape marking on the balancer, mark the new 25* TDC, and move the balancer to the new marking to "0". Remove the cam sensor cap, insert the cam sensor into timing cover and set the cam sensor window is facing around 4:00pm.until it's fitted, bolt it down, install the cam sensor cap back on, and connect the wire plug.

OK. Lets start over and get back to basics. Since you've got the hub off and you can see, try this...

Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and turn the engine until it starts to blow your thumb off. That's the comression stroke. Turn the crank until timing mark is at "0". put a piece of light colored tape on the balancer OD and make a mark at 20*. Then turn the hub until the mark you made is at 0. Make another mark at 5*. That mark will be 25* ATDC.

Once you have that mark, take a dremel, file, hacksaw blade, whatever and make an actual groove on the hub. Fill it with whiteout for extra clarity. From this point on you will have a 25* mark next time this needs to be set. (that's one of the reasons us experienced guys can set a cam sensor so easily)

Once you know the crank is in the right place, index the oil pump shaft until the cam sensor can drop in. Hook up a volt meter and turn the sensor until the voltage goes away. Lock it down and continue drinking beer.

Oh yeah, back that set screw out of the top of the timing cover and find a bolt with the same thread size to replace it. If that set screw falls in the engine you'll be doing this again(and then some).

SHE STARTED UP TWICE FIRST OR SECOD CRANK...but it sounded horrible. Is this because I have none if my belts on? Never heard a 'rod knock' but I kept hearing a 'pounding' constantly or a 'knocking sound' .....