Cam sensor timing

It's a catch .22. The pump has to have oil in it before it can pump oil. Once it's full, you'll have pressure as you spin it with the drill.

Try this... Remove the 1" nut spring and valve. Try and find a hose (clear would be best) that will seal up in place of the 1" nut and rig up a funnel to pour oil in there. With the valve removed you should be able to get oil inside the pump cavity. Spin the pump backward by hand and see if it pulls the oil in. If you can get it to draw oil and fill up the pipe, you're primed.

Caveat above^^ that plan is based on theory. I've never owned a hotair and my pumps self prime so I've never had to use that idea. I just looked at a timing cover in my living room and oil will go straight into the pump if you remove the valve, so I believe it to be sound.

So basically force it into the valve that I previously primed with Vaseline ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No, pull the spring and the valve out. That will give you a direct path to the pump gears. If you can't rig up something to that spot, you could duct tape a baggie in place of the oil filter and turn the pump backwards by hand. That might be easier.

At the end of the day you just need to get oil into that cavity. It doesn't have to be glamorous how you do it. Once it's primed, it'll stat primed (as long as nothing is out of whack)

When you try to prime the pump with the drill make sure the priming tool does fit into the slot on the oil pump shaft and not just spin on top of it. Yes, i had that happen before and had to remove the collar around the end of the priming tool and file the end of the priming tool down so that it would fit into the slot of the oil pump shaft.

No, pull the spring and the valve out. That will give you a direct path to the pump gears. If you can't rig up something to that spot, you could duct tape a baggie in place of the oil filter and turn the pump backwards by hand. That might be easier.

At the end of the day you just need to get oil into that cavity. It doesn't have to be glamorous how you do it. Once it's primed, it'll stat primed (as long as nothing is out of whack)

My BIL once used a Suction and flexible tube over the oil filter adapter to push oil into the filter

When you try to prime the pump with the drill make sure the priming tool does fit into the slot on the oil pump shaft and not just spin on top of it. Yes, i had that happen before and had to remove the collar around the end of the priming tool and file the end of the priming tool down so that it would fit into the slot of the oil pump shaft.
Yeah it got perfectly but would slide off every so often. I was doing it for a while but still never saw oil. So what is the most simple way to get my oil into the pump..remember I'm no mechanic so I am limited as to what I can do here in this situation

Danny

You need to spin the oil pump with a high speed drill to prime it.

Are you running the drill in the forward position like tightening a screw

If you have questions call me. I have pmed you my number

There's gotta be some TR guys in the area that should be able to help out. Put out word on the board and see if you can get some help.

I am more than capable of doing this myself I just don't have experience or knowledge of how to do this.. I realized it just takes research and patience. And asking alot of questions which is why I'm on this forum alllll damn day. I just made a tool and I'm about to try and prime the oil pump now. Hope I finally build up some pressure.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1383788791.047497.jpg

Cool, have at it and I hope it builds pressure. Like earl mentioned, you'll know it when the pump hits as you will need a tight grip to keep the drill under control. Let us know what happens.

MISSION BUILD PRESSURE IS A SUCESS ....now what can I take her for a spin lol

Danny,

You can get a loaner oil pump priming tool at most auto parts stores. They charge you full price for the tool but when you return it they give all your money back,so it costs nothing for the use.

Here is a link for autozone .

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...mp-Primer/_/N-2641?itemIdentifier=534529_0_0_

I went to az yesterday and they said I needed to put down 39.99$ for an oil pump priming tool and I decided to get little creative so I made this instead...it worked fantastic only too about 8-11 seconds.

Nice. Drop in the cam sensor, fire it up and let's hope all's well with the motor.

ok after a few phone calls it seems Danny is on his way! Now it time to walk him thru cam sensor setting 101!!!!!!!!!

Nice outta the box thinking on the priming tool!!!! like i told ya on the phone it just needs to turn the shaft of the pump and not slide off at high speeds! cause low speed won't prime it!

Patrick mentioned there are some headaches getting the cam sensor set. Sending you a PM.

Bob

Bob B should be sending ya a PM to give ya a hand he is in your area!!!!

Thanks again bob !

Well I timed the cam and built oil pressure but now she doesn't want to start. I need to give it a little gas but i really dont want to flood anything. Honestly I feel as if it is my crank sensor or something to do with that...I'm really lost now. Any suggestions..? I mean she did start up the other day but I didn't have oil pressure when I did that..
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1383876155.006692.jpg

Get back to basics....

when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run (is there pressure at the rail?

Does the oil idiot light went out while cranking? That will go fire the fuel pump when it goes out.

Do you have spark?