Castrol Synthetic Trans fluid.

The Radius Kid

After doing a search on synthetic trans fluids,I didn't see a mention of this one[Castrol].
I've seen the Mobil Synth available and the Castrol as well.
However,I have found a relatively new[?] synth from Castrol called TranSynd.It's a synthetic for Allison truck transmissions.Recommended service intervals are about 4X longer than conventional truck trans fluid.The truck trans guys up here are swearing by it after being skeptics at first.It was a try and see proposition at first,but now it's de riguer.
The stuff's about $11 a quart Canadian[Mobil and reg. Castrol synth are about $9 per quart],but if it saves the trans under severe duty,it could prove to be worth it.
So my question is;Anybody out there tried or heard of this stuff,and if so,any results to report back?
You can read up about this stuff at;www.allisontransmission.com.
Maybe you've heard of this stuff Bruce?:confused:

Yep, you are on the way

Thats why we use the petroleum based Allison fluid That is what TORQUE fluid is. Ahhh someone else is paying attention. Radius Kid, wouldn't I know it would be you. And I think the petrol based is just as good for us and a whole lot cheaper!!! :D BT

The reason I ask is that I'm about to do another trans with a Yank ST 3500 N/L converter[pooched 2nd gear showing off,band slipping].I plan on doing some trips,10-12 hours in duration,highway driving.The car had a Trans Go shift kit in it and never really worked right,even after two rebuilds.I hate that kit and am going back to Art Carr kit[www.artcarr.com,circa april '98].had an Art Carr kit in the car when I bought it.It was beautiful.Telepathic shifts.Just great.
I'll be using the billet servo cover from Dennis Kirban as well.
My cooling for the trans consists of;rad cooler to filter to 24,000 GVW cooler up front[mounted to V-1 front face right now,worked beautiful all the way to B.G. and back at 75+ mph,L/U engaged with ALDL jumper switch turned on.Yup,lockup from trans was acting up as well.:rolleyes:]
Think it's time to bypass the stock rad cooler as well.
I understand that with the synthetic,the trans will actually run cooler,all else being equal.
I would rather pay extra now to avoid money and trouble later.
Being a Machinist/I.M.,I don't like trouble if I can avoid it.That's why I run Mobil 1 in my engine.It works[for you doubters].Trust me on that one.:)

Re: Yep, you are on the way

Originally posted by WE4
Thats why we use the petroleum based Allison fluid That is what TORQUE fluid is. Ahhh someone else is paying attention. Radius Kid, wouldn't I know it would be you. :D BT

BTW,I forgot to ask:Whatever gave you the idea it was me in the first place?:D

I wouldn't spend the extra money. And just outta curiousity, why didnt you keep the parts money in the family. I don't see you asking D Kirban , or ole AC these questions. Just what have they done for you through here that warrants your buisness? Just curious.....:D ps.. By us I meant me, Janis, Kurtz, Wang, SeTurbo

Remember, keep us alive , We can keep you guys alive........:eek:

And by purchasing the way you did you got half of the pieces you need to set it up correct. You now need to get a pin to set band.

Well now,that's interesting.
I checked the Kirban's parts[dug them out after seven years].They're GM parts.
Delco pn,1#24200798[Cover pkg]
" pn,1#8678935 [pkg Int Ser]
" pn,1#8678941 [servo psin]
They're obviously Not billet[my memory fades after seven years].
The converter was purchased by a friend and I replaced it with a 3800 St when the guy decided to go to a te70[worked for me].
Now what I would like is a laser welded intermediate drum.Would an input shaft be necessary as well?
The guy building the trans is in Milton[Harry Manovich,Milton Trans].He's had more than one conversation with Art carr.He builds some of the best transmissions Ive seen.Basically a little known guru,and like you,he stands behind his work[he wouldn't even take my money after the last rebuild until I test drove the car and gave it the okay].I've seen him fix a trans for nothing after a seal went after a trip to the strip.That's integrity.No excuses about abuse.You might also be interested in knowing his dad,Steve invented the trans dyno years ago.Apparently some big shots tried to buy it from him unsuccessfully,so they copied it.Go figure.
Now,let me give you some persective from a Canadian standpoint.
If I make $25 per hour Canadian,that translates to ~$15 per hour American.
Your tax freedom day is March 31.Correct?
Mine is June 28,this year.
So I loose 1/2 of my wages to taxes.
An American looses 1/4.
Now you know why Canadians carp about the cost of buying parts from the States.Add to the cost the crossborder charges[GST,PST,disbursement fees(handling,UPS),reshipping from the border.
I usually figure if a part costs $100 American,it's gonna cost me $190-$200 Canadian by the time it gets here.:mad:
So now my spending money goes 1/3 less as far in the States[after conversion],and it will cost me almost 2X.
There's a lot of guys up here making anywhere from $12-18 per hour trying to do right by you guys selling in the States,and from what I hear,sometimes they get a real hard time[don't worry,you're not one of them].
Now you see where I'm coming from?

hehheehh

Yea, you are coming from above the north border. Canada I think they call it. Sucks to be you man :D

(I was just bustin balls, like you are soooo good at. Man just playing) BT

You're right.Some days it does suck to live north of the 49th.But it the country I was born and raised in.That's why my heart is here.I'll call you tommorrow or Wed.around 10 am your time.We can chat a bit then about what I need for my present and future goals[they'll be changing by mid next year if all goes well].

Well,after some research,I've found that Petro Canada makes their own version of TranSynd.Same wear ratings,change intervals,etc.The only difference[for me] was $223 Can. for a 20 liter pail of TranSynd vs. $125 for the Petro Canada version[prices in Can. dollars].No prizes for guessing which one I bought.:)